What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Fonua no
Gamble not unless we can use him
Marshall only if we're desperate
Lawrence no
Farah yes
Liddle no
Aloia yes
Chee Akan only because we need reserve graders
Rochow only because we need reserve graders
Mikaele yes
Thompson for sure
Brooks depends on the money

McQueen no
Matulino no
Twal figure out how to clone him
Taylor no
Garner yes
Eisenhuth no
Clark haven't seen enough
McIntyre haven't seen enough
Smith haven't seen enough
Momirovski Yes
Jennings maybe

No to Farah and Marshall. These two might be loyal servants and club legends but truth be told they represent a losing culture that has plagued the club for the best part of 15 years.

Perth Tiger

Bench
It we want to be a successful team, a player like Thompson is the type of player you need to pay minimum wage for and if another team wants to come along and overpay we have to let him go.

It sucks for Thompson but in today's game where you need big bodies, he is either a role player on minimum wage at a successful club or he is overpaid at a weaker club where he can help a crap team be competitive.

Shredder

Juniors
I agree PT.

If you are talking about cap management, then this is the line in the sand. If other clubs want to pay overs for Thompson, let him go.

Tiger05

First Grade
I want Thompson to stay. He has been great for us. Perth Tiger nails the point though - we shouldn't be paying overs for a winger like Thompson.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Agree we try to keep Thompson but only on the $$$ we are comfortable with. I'm pretty sure the days of paying overs are coming to an end.

It we want to be a successful team, a player like Thompson is the type of player you need to pay minimum wage for and if another team wants to come along and overpay we have to let him go.

It sucks for Thompson but in today's game where you need big bodies, he is either a role player on minimum wage at a successful club or he is overpaid at a weaker club where he can help a crap team be competitive.

100%, but he is certainly worth making a reasonable offer to. Handy stand in fullback/winger to have floating around the place. Would rather see Fonua let go of first than Thompson.

Perth Tiger

Bench
100%, but he is certainly worth making a reasonable offer to. Handy stand in fullback/winger to have floating around the place. Would rather see Fonua let go of first than Thompson.
Absolutely, we should offer him what his value would be, personally I would offer about 150K max per year (I think the minimum is about 100K?) but if someone wants to offer 200K plus them I would let him go with best wishes.

If fact going back to the off contract list, with Brooks already being re-signed, I wouldn't offer anyone on that list more than 200k per season. I would hope Liddle, Mikaele, Aloiai, Lawrence and Thompson would stay for that amount or less but I wouldn't get into a bidding war for any of them.

Absolutely, we should offer him what his value would be, personally I would offer about 150K max per year (I think the minimum is about 100K?) but if someone wants to offer 200K plus them I would let him go with best wishes.

If fact going back to the off contract list, with Brooks already being re-signed, I wouldn't offer anyone on that list more than 200k per season. I would hope Liddle, Mikaele, Aloiai, Lawrence and Thompson would stay for that amount or less but I wouldn't get into a bidding war for any of them.

I think with the cap the median wage is $315K, Lawrence could be offered up to $300K outside the cap as he is the only long serving player in our ranks. I'd make that offer regardless as it doesn't impact the cap (and assuming we can afford it.)

Liddle has done nothing yet to suggest to me he is the future. He is a capable player but he is yet to take the field reliably for any decent period of time.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I think with the cap the median wage is $315K, Lawrence could be offered up to $300K outside the cap as he is the only long serving player in our ranks. I'd make that offer regardless as it doesn't impact the cap (and assuming we can afford it.)

Liddle has done nothing yet to suggest to me he is the future. He is a capable player but he is yet to take the field reliably for any decent period of time.
Yeah agreed, my figures were solely cap figures. If we can access additional money outside the cap then we should definitely use it.

The unknown

Juniors
DWZ asked for a release from the riff

for all his grubbiness he is still 10x the player of his brother, plus fast. Hope we chase him

gordsy

Juniors
No to Farah and Marshall. These two might be loyal servants and club legends but truth be told they represent a losing culture that has plagued the club for the best part of 15 years.
I would like young blood too but for all the flag waving about Liddle's potential he still can't play 80 minutes so are we better off with Farrah who can play 80 or playing Liddle and losing a bench spot because we have to carry another hooker ? As for 5/8 who else do we have apart from Grub ?

gordynz

Juniors
I just don't understand DWZ to Parra, it makes no sense by looking at their roster. The teams that do make sense are us, Cowboys, and Souths but nope he'll go to a team with a stack of Outside Backs.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I just don't understand DWZ to Parra, it makes no sense by looking at their roster. The teams that do make sense are us, Cowboys, and Souths but nope he'll go to a team with a stack of Outside Backs.
No team is in more dire need of a decent outside back than us !

The unknown

Juniors

Yep...it would make sense if Gutho was on the outer, but he just resigned. Fergo and that fijian on the wings....centre?

If he came to us he would have the red carpet laid out to him on any position 1-5