What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Yep i think it’s salary cap related.

A couple of legends for beer money to bolster morale at training.

The odd spell off the bench with 20 to go.

Madge has inherited a mess.

Do we honestly think these guys will be signing for minimum wage? If money is an issue well how about David Warwick do his f**ken job and find some talented young fellas stuck behind players who will play 10 years in FG and give them an opportunity?

Do we honestly think these guys will be signing for minimum wage? If money is an issue well how about David Warwick do his f**ken job and find some talented young fellas stuck behind players who will play 10 years in FG and give them an opportunity?

Yes, they are fundamentally good people and I think they want to contribute rather than take.

They are stepping up and the club will be the better for it.

Pezz70

Juniors

There’s a 20 year old running around Group 6 playing in the centres who would smash our current centres. Quick as lightning and tough as nails.

Which other club fan base would be happy with an aging hooker and half sticking around for another year when their best is well past them? Granted Farah and Marshall can still put in good performances, but Farah is starting to show his age now and Marshall is good to miss 6-8 games over the year.

This is why we are perennial underachievers. We're expecting pensioners to save the day, and what's more it seems a lot of the fan base are happy about that.

Front-Rower

First Grade
This is why we are perennial underachievers. We're expecting pensioners to save the day, and what's more it seems a lot of the fan base are happy about that.

Battler mentality

Our fans love feels not wins. It’s like the old bloke who nearly cried at Leichhardt when I said Sheens should get the flick back in 2012.

I'm f**king sick of it. I've been patient for years. Coaches come in, hamstrung by the cap because previous coaches move players on carrying freight, then a coach comes in with a clean cap finally and f**ks us again before splitting.

I could cop it in the 90's when Balmain sucked, because the players largely weren't earning the coin they are now and they left everything on the field every week. They had pride in the jersey.

We've got merkins now on $600K+ a year that are happy to cart the ball up for 30m from 6 runs over 50 minutes and then get the shits when the coach dares demand more from them. No respect for the club or the fans.

When a club like Newcastle that won the spoon three years straight saw the finals more recently than we have and are sitting 5th currently while we STILL languish it really tests your resolve as a supporter. They were a more attractive alternative to the likes of Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer, Gavet, Ese'ese, Watson etc than us. Our response? Let's give Robbie and Benji another f**king year to run 9th. And the fans give a standing ovation.

f**k me...

The club can’t afford a runner at the moment.

When the figures arrive, it will turn out that both legends will be playing for a midi of Aldi lite ale and an underwear package from best and less.

One step at a time during the nightmare i.c left us for his stupid prodigal son fixation. He needs therapy.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I have no problems with Benji and Robbie staying on on the following conditions:-

1. They aren't overpaid.
2. They are only picked on form.

If those boxes are ticked these guys offer us a lot.

I reckon Robbie is already too slow to compete for 80 minutes a game and as stated above Benji is injured for a chunk of the season. Signing these two is fine so long as we get some other players as well.

I can see these two helping rather than hurting our cap situation.

I have no problems with Benji and Robbie staying on on the following conditions:-

1. They aren't overpaid.
2. They are only picked on form.

If those boxes are ticked these guys offer us a lot.

I reckon Robbie is already too slow to compete for 80 minutes a game and as stated above Benji is injured for a chunk of the season. Signing these two is fine so long as we get some other players as well.

I can see these two helping rather than hurting our cap situation.

I'd rather have a hooker who can play 80 minutes so we can stack the bench with forwards. Are we seriously going to entertain going into 2020 with two hookers again, a pensioner and a busted young bloke no less?

The club desperately needs some off field composure and companionship.

These were elite footballers and they remain popular and respected right across the game.

They will help induct new players, passing skills, game management training, media and sponsors.

And they can instill a deep love of and respect for the club.

This will be needed when the club is splurging on expensive elite but needs good players to stay on less money.

All this for Aldi beer, best and less undies and hopefully an admin role later.

Back in the day, Benji raised the skill set of players two full notches on his own. He changed the game.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I'd rather have a hooker who can play 80 minutes so we can stack the bench with forwards. Are we seriously going to entertain going into 2020 with two hookers again, a pensioner and a busted young bloke no less?

If someone can come up with a better option then I'm all for it.

I think the question is what is our best option and go from there.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
If Fonua is now gone medically for the season and hence finished his playing days with us. Could WT declare his spot in the squad open and get another back before 30 June? I'm assuming medical insurance will pay / compensate for his salary so I'd assume we have some salary cap dollars even if Mannah is coming.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Fonua is now gone medically for the season and hence finished his playing days with us. Could WT declare his spot in the squad open and get another back before 30 June? I'm assuming medical insurance will pay / compensate for his salary so I'd assume we have some salary cap dollars even if Mannah is coming.

I doubt it and I doubt we have the money.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I doubt it and I doubt we have the money.
I thought all players were covered by clubs medical insurance. Don't they pay salary when unable to play through injury? At very least if we are down a back through season ending injury we should be able to promote one from lower grade to cover.

Tiger05

First Grade
I thought all players were covered by clubs medical insurance. Don't they pay salary when unable to play through injury? At very least if we are down a back through season ending injury we should be able to promote one from lower grade to cover.

Honestly I don't know but Mahe is signed for this season and he is only injured for this season. It doesn't seem like you'd get any compensation for this at least from the NRL in relation to the cap.

We may be able to promote someone from the lower grades. I thought we could use our development players post June 30 or something like that.