What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

gordynz

Juniors
We have a decent young pack in the making, but we're obviously missing a hooker and a class edge forward. The likes of Mikaele. Aloiai, Twal are going to be a great rotation for us over the next few seasons, Matterson is obviously class and would rather play him in the middle next year rather than on an edge, MCK is having his best season yet, I'd happily give him first crack at 12 next season; we can't go any worse than Luke, he had a great season last year and will play even better footy under Madge. You only give him a one year contract and hope he can get through the season injury free... The last piece for next year is an edge forward, by the looks of who's off contract, there's no one outstanding, and there's no way we can afford a top line rep player, however i'd take either Gosiewski, Capewell, Sorenson on a cheap deal or throw a bit extra at Glenn, in the hopes we can create some cap space to buy an elite 2nd Rower for the 2021 season.

In all seriousness, we aint going to be competitive until at least 2021 because of the salary cap mess. We need that space for a quality fullback, centre, and potentially five-eighth. Let's hope we can land Brimson earlier rather than later and maybe target a bloke like Staggs for 2021. This is me being realistic as well, I don't see any marquee players coming to our club until we can taste a bit of success, I think we can do it with the guys i've listed along with Madge's coaching but she could be another long couple seasons...

gordynz

Juniors
Rhyse Martin wouldn't be half bad on an edge for us. I wouldn't mind him for the simple fact hes a gun goal kicker.

A forward pack of the following would not disappoint me one bit..

8. Mikaele
9. Luke
10. Aloiai
11. Martin
12. MCK
13. Matterson

You could also play around with the backrowers as they're all versatile. Garner or Eisenhuth could easily start with MCK dropping back to the bench. The question would be - do we play four big bodies or do we need a utility? With a decent off-season, Luke could easily play 80mins under Madge.

simmo1

First Grade
Not sure if Val Holmes is guaranteed to go to Cowboys if his NFL stint fails, but he's the exact player we need. Class outside back with speed and kicks goals.

Should have plenty in the cap by 2021 to make a play.

tiger102

Juniors
A forward pack of the following would not disappoint me one bit.

8. Zane Tetevano
9. Billy Brittain
10. Alex Twal
11. Ryan Matterson
12. Patrick Mago
13. JoshAloiai
Res
14. Corey Jenson
15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Luke Garner
17. Kaide Ellis

Fordy20

Juniors
The club tried to sign Kaide Ellis the same time as it was going for Oliver Clarke. It would have been nice to bag both.

You've gotta wonder who's mum Corey Jenson shagged that's stopped him getting a run up in North Queensland.

FMD, the silly season has well and truly started at Tiger town and the RL posts are still up at Leichhardt Oval.

Cameron King,
Curtis Scott
Issac Luke
Herman Ese'ese
AJ Brimson
Billy Walters

Are they any other 'rumored' signings or managers spreading the rumors about their clients?

The club has only announced the signings of the 3 young guys from Qld and they are not 1st graders (yet).

Plenty of personal choices though !!

From the 'talk' coming out of Newcastle it appears that some players may want to jump ship as they have not been signed beyond this year.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/1b086e6d719464ac7f2036b288fd99e0

Unwanted Dog could solve Tigers’ spine crisis, but club legend left in limbo

The Wests Tigers face a hooker crisis with the retirement of Robbie Farah and a long-term injury to Jacob Liddle. They’ve reached out to a young utility who’s on the way out of Belmore.

Wests Tigers are desperately trying to find a solution to their No.9 problem ahead of the 2020 season.

Foxsports.com.au can reveal the Tigers met with Fa’amanu Brown recently to express an interest in the out-of-contract Canterbury player.

Brown has failed to cement a spot in the Bulldogs’ first-grade side this year and does not have a contract on the table at Belmore beyond this season.

He’s still only 24 years old and has played 36 games over five seasons at the Sharks and Bulldogs, and can play multiple spine positions.

Brown’s agent Chris Rogaris confirmed he had met with the Tigers but the club is yet to put forward an offer.

Cronulla is another NRL club who has reached out, after foxsports.com.au recently revealed the Sharks are also on the lookout for a cheap No.9.

Rogaris said Brown is “considering all options”, including the possibility of heading overseas in 2020.

The Tigers are on the lookout for a cheap hooker given the retirement of Robbie Farah and the long-term knee injury to recently re-signed 22-year-old Jacob Liddle.

The Concord club has signed teenager Jake Simpkin for next season but it would be a huge ask to lump the duties on an untried rookie.

The Tigers are also battling for salary cap space given they are struggling to offload Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, and Ben Matulino, all of whom are earning big money.

There’s a handful of cheaper No.9 options on the rugby league market currently.

They include Cameron King, Kurt Baptiste, and James Segeyaro.

Segeyaro has been offered a new two-year contract by the Broncos but is yet to accept it, and may jump at the chance to move back to Sydney where his business is based.

Wests Tigers veteran Chris Lawrence is holding out for a new deal with the club he debuted at in 2006.

The 30-year-old currently has no contract come November 1, but is keen to play on for at least one more season in the NRL.

The sticking point is the Tigers’ salary cap mess and the fact they’re struggling to offload Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino, and Russell Packer.

They also need to find some cash for evergreen playmaker Benji Marshall, and now need to buy another No.9, as mentioned above.

Lawrence’s agent Darryl Mather told foxsports.com.au the 237-game workhorse is keen to join long-time teammate Marshall for at least one more campaign in the black and gold.

Lawrence indicated to Fairfax Media last week he would consider playing for a rival NRL club, but Mather conceded the options are limited.

Lawrence has a business venture which is in its infancy. He has a young family to support and isn’t ready to hang up the boots just yet.

Tiger05

First Grade
Our cap situation is a disaster isn't it.

I'd love to see us free up some space and sign David Fafita. We could play Matterson in the middle and have pretty good edge forwards as well. I just don't know how much we'd have to pay for Fafita.

Clearly at this point we can't sign gun establlished players even if their club is getting rid of them but Fafita is exactly what we need.

I think our middle forwards are looking pretty good but it all depends on what we do with Matterson:-

Props:- Aloiai, Mikaele, Twal, Eisenhuth, Clarke
Lock:- Matterson - an absolute gun.

Another impact prop would be great. A gun edge forward would be even better though.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/08/21/wests-tigers-sign-young-queensland-duo/

I think this has already been mentioned.

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of talented young Queensland duo Jake Simpkin and Reece Hoffman, who will join the club ahead of the 2020 NRL season.

Both players will join Wests Tigers on Development contracts next season, where they will train full-time with the NRL squad but will not be eligible to play first-grade until after Round 16.

Simpkin will join the NRL squad in 2021 while Hoffman will join the side in 2022.

Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager David Warwick welcomed the pair to the club.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, we’re very pleased to have Jake and Reece on board from next year and we’d like to welcome them to the club,” Warwick said.

“Besides their strong physical attributes for their age, Jake and Reece have a great knowledge of the game and composure which stands out across their age group.

“The privilege for them now is to have that year of training full-time and continue to work on their body to be ready for the NRL and play at the highest level.

"Having them come as Development Players really puts the club and them in a good place with their progress and we’re excited to watch them take the next steps of their careers at Wests Tigers.”

A Southern Suburbs Tigers junior, Simpkin has already achieved a number of junior representative honours for Queensland with selection in the U/16’s side in 2017, as well in the Queensland U/18’s side that defeated New South Wales earlier this year.

Hoffman was also part of the winning Maroons side after starring at centre, and previously helped Wynnum-Manly to the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup Grand Final earlier in the year alongside Simpkin.

Both players will join the club in November for the start of 2020 pre-season training.

Smellmyfinger

Juniors
Madge needs to look at attributes needed within the NRL teamand start experimenting with those already within the club that may possess these attributes. For example, IF Tommy Talau has the speed, why not try him out at fullback in NSW cup? We will go nowhere with a fullback that can't pass in Thompson. Talau being a 5/8 and a big body could be a revelation at 1. And yes of course he could be a disaster., but that's what NSW cup is for, to try these things. Imagine having his big frame bringing the ball back, and ballplaying out the back of sweeping backline plays?

This is just one example of what should be happening now in State Cup. It can't hurt to experiment at this point.

I would also like to see Mikeale tried as an edge backrower. However, he's in first grade so it's a little harder to experiment.

Tigerm

First Grade
Madge needs to look at attributes needed within the NRL teamand start experimenting with those already within the club that may possess these attributes. For example, IF Tommy Talau has the speed, why not try him out at fullback in NSW cup? We will go nowhere with a fullback that can't pass in Thompson. Talau being a 5/8 and a big body could be a revelation at 1. And yes of course he could be a disaster., but that's what NSW cup is for, to try these things. Imagine having his big frame bringing the ball back, and ballplaying out the back of sweeping backline plays?

This is just one example of what should be happening now in State Cup. It can't hurt to experiment at this point.

I would also like to see Mikeale tried as an edge backrower. However, he's in first grade so it's a little harder to experiment.
I understand you are giving examples, but I think a quick winger is needed moreso than a fullback. I think Thompson is up there as our best player again this season.

Smellmyfinger

Juniors
I understand you are giving examples, but I think a quick winger is needed moreso than a fullback. I think Thompson is up there as our best player again this season.

I agree Thommo has been one of our best. I like him a lot. The thing is, if I picture us in the top 4, I don't see him at 1. We need some skill in those sweeping plays. Drinkwater would have been great. He's so skillful.

WT Unity

Juniors

Check out our 3rd try last night (Esan Marsters try) - You'll see a pretty handy pass by Thompson!