What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The unknown

Juniors
you didn’t march

stop trying to take credit for what other people did. I suppose YOU also walked on Washington

Maybe you should focus on paying those fines instead of trolling

the Morning I was meant to go to jury duty I got a text from my brother in-law to go out drinking at the pub so I did that instead

didn’t think it would cost me $1800 the first couple of fines I just ignored than I just had to pay it to stop it from increasing

Phil Gould

Juniors
I think the problem with the tigers paying overs in the past has been that the players have all been past their prime. At least with AD there is the potential for him to be a good buy but his price does seem a bit steep. BJ on the other hand may be more of a gamble, we’ll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Ignoring the learning impaired trolls for a moment.

The issue I see with AD is that he brings "potential", rather than "proven ability". He can play almost anywhere in the back-line, great, but what is his best position? How long has he played there for? etc etc. We already have Mbye and Reynolds taking up huge chunk of our salary cap without a set position, and there is a genuine concern that AD could end up in the same camp.
I'm only speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if the issues with the contract is that Tigers are only offering a short term deal that will cover the 2 years he's contracted at Souths. E.g. $350k per year with souths kicking in the 250k. What if he gets here and by all reports it looks like Thompson is a better fullback? Again, AD may have the potential to surpass Thompson but why are we footing the bill when he could just bail once he's good?

BJ on the other hand is completely different. We have a serious problem with our backline. We need someone with proven experience to come in and make a mark instantly. Not someone to develop and eventually get good, someone to come in and add some spark. BJ fits that bill completely. The only risk is his brain explosions, which may cost you a premiership, but it won't cost you a top 8 spot.
This is why its win/win for both us and Canberra.

gordynz

Juniors
Ignoring the learning impaired trolls for a moment.

The issue I see with AD is that he brings "potential", rather than "proven ability". He can play almost anywhere in the back-line, great, but what is his best position? How long has he played there for? etc etc. We already have Mbye and Reynolds taking up huge chunk of our salary cap without a set position, and there is a genuine concern that AD could end up in the same camp.
I'm only speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if the issues with the contract is that Tigers are only offering a short term deal that will cover the 2 years he's contracted at Souths. E.g. $350k per year with souths kicking in the 250k. What if he gets here and by all reports it looks like Thompson is a better fullback? Again, AD may have the potential to surpass Thompson but why are we footing the bill when he could just bail once he's good?

BJ on the other hand is completely different. We have a serious problem with our backline. We need someone with proven experience to come in and make a mark instantly. Not someone to develop and eventually get good, someone to come in and add some spark. BJ fits that bill completely. The only risk is his brain explosions, which may cost you a premiership, but it won't cost you a top 8 spot.

I get your concerns but if we get Doueihi and Souths pay part of his salary for this year then it's not all bad considering Reynolds may end up elsewhere next year, and that's pending his current legal issues. I really liked what I saw from Doueihi the back end of last year when he moved to fullback and even though the reported figures may seem a lot, I wouldn't mind us settling for something a little less. He's young, versatile, skillful, tough and a big body. Adding both him and BJ will add a lot to our backline.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Again, AD may have the potential to surpass Thompson but why are we footing the bill when he could just bail once he's good?

I agree although I don’t think AD has the potential to surpass Thompson in attack. AD can’t run the ball like CT, not many can, but AD is more rounded and has the potential to be a very solid player in a number of positions and he’s still young, unlike grub and Mbye. I don’t think he’ll bring the spark that Corey does but he doesn’t have Corey’s weaknesses. I don’t know but to me, AD looks to be a very solid, reliable player rather than a star, is that worth 600k? If the contract terms are 3 years, rabbits putting in 250 for the first two, then the last year is the only real gamble, I suppose.

I think you summed up BJ pretty well. He’s the strike power we need and you know he’s going to tear the raiders a new arse hole next time we play them. We may even beat them for once....or he’s going to kill someone and we are on the hunt for a new strike player... again...

Maybe AD could make our kick defense stronger at the back and BJ could put Corey into space on the wing? Corey with a little bit of room is like a jackrabbit, I hope he doesn’t bulk too much and lose his zip.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I get your concerns but if we get Doueihi and Souths pay part of his salary for this year then it's not all bad considering Reynolds may end up elsewhere next year, and that's pending his current legal issues. I really liked what I saw from Doueihi the back end of last year when he moved to fullback and even though the reported figures may seem a lot, I wouldn't mind us settling for something a little less. He's young, versatile, skillful, tough and a big body. Adding both him and BJ will add a lot to our backline.

The issue is that he wants a long term contract, in which he will expect 600k a year for. Its a massive risk, especially given that his manager will coach him on how to get out of the contract early if he becomes an excellent fullback and thinks he deserves more.

I think a fair deal is 2 years with Bunnies kicking in a chunk. No real harm done if he flops. If he turns out to be amazing then fantastic, he can negotiate fullback money and a long term deal for his next contract with us. He gets paid what he deserves and we get a long term fullback on the rise - win/win

BrotherJim05

Bench
I agree although I don’t think AD has the potential to surpass Thompson in attack. AD can’t run the ball like CT, not many can, but AD is more rounded and has the potential to be a very solid player in a number of positions and he’s still young, unlike grub and Mbye. I don’t think he’ll bring the spark that Corey does but he doesn’t have Corey’s weaknesses. I don’t know but to me, AD looks to be a very solid, reliable player rather than a star, is that worth 600k? If the contract terms are 3 years, rabbits putting in 250 for the first two, then the last year is the only real gamble, I suppose.

I think you summed up BJ pretty well. He’s the strike power we need and you know he’s going to tear the raiders a new arse hole next time we play them. We may even beat them for once....or he’s going to kill someone and we are on the hunt for a new strike player... again...

Maybe AD could make our kick defense stronger at the back and BJ could put Corey into space on the wing? Corey with a little bit of room is like a jackrabbit, I hope he doesn’t bulk too much and lose his zip.

I love that your name is Phil Gould. I read that imagining Phil Gould's voice haha

Agree that 600k is peanuts for a decent fullback, but anything more than 2 years increases the risk. If he doesn't work out to be better than Thompson then we are stuck trying to find a place in the team for him until the end of 2022/23

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
The issue is that he wants a long term contract, in which he will expect 600k a year for. Its a massive risk, especially given that his manager will coach him on how to get out of the contract early if he becomes an excellent fullback and thinks he deserves more.

I think a fair deal is 2 years with Bunnies kicking in a chunk. No real harm done if he flops. If he turns out to be amazing then fantastic, he can negotiate fullback money and a long term deal for his next contract with us. He gets paid what he deserves and we get a long term fullback on the rise - win/win

Why would Souths kick in a “chunk”

we gave Adam a massive pay rise because we want him to stay. If he wants to leave I can’t see us paying him to do so.
It would be crazy on his behalf

Shredder

Juniors
Just to clear up some stuff on AD

Souths arent trying to offload him. They have been clear from day one that if he wants to stay thats fine. They have simply told him hes no longer first choice 1 or 6 and that if he can find a better deal they will release him. They arent under any salary cap trouble. This may change if they get Arrow this year.

Souths have already prepaid a large chunk of his salary for this year. This is probably the way they make payments. Maybe he doesnt get it in equal monthly installments.

My personal view is that the sticking point is that Souths will want this money back if we sign him, which means we pay him say $350 and them $150 (or whatever the numbers are).

Not sure if the payment to Souths hits our salary cap or not.

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree that 600k is peanuts for a decent fullback, but anything more than 2 years increases the risk. If he doesn't work out to be better than Thompson then we are stuck trying to find a place in the team for him until the end of 2022/23

This is a problem isn't it. Souths f**ked up paying him overs. It's not our fault. It's interesting though they still have a backline that looks the best in the comp without releasing AD.

Tiger05

First Grade
Why would Souths kick in a “chunk”

we gave Adam a massive pay rise because we want him to stay. If he wants to leave I can’t see us paying him to do so.
It would be crazy on his behalf

Honestly this is pretty stupid unless you are rorting the cap. You've paid overs and you need him off your books. You made the bad contract. You can either hold that contract and live with it or pay for some off his contract elsewhere.

The point being his contract could stuff your cap position up. Maybe not this year but over the next couple of years especially when you have Cody and Latrell in the positions that AD plays.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Well whatever the case is, i don't think a long term contract is the right answer. I can see this becoming either a Matterson or Mbye situation.

Speaking of Matterson, still boggles my mind that JAC, Arrow and Stefano all want out of their contracts but their clubs have found a way to keep them in the roster until they get something good out of it. Makes our club look really amateur.

Speaking of JAC...is there absolutely any possibility whatsoever of us getting him? I'd rather persist with Thompson at fullback if it means we can get JAC
1. Thompson
2. Nofa
3. BJ
4. Momo
5. JAC

Pretty f**king good backline

Then eventually a marquee fullback will come on the market just as some of our bigger contracts are ending and we throw everything at them

Wizardman

First Grade
Well whatever the case is, i don't think a long term contract is the right answer. I can see this becoming either a Matterson or Mbye situation.

Speaking of Matterson, still boggles my mind that JAC, Arrow and Stefano all want out of their contracts but their clubs have found a way to keep them in the roster until they get something good out of it. Makes our club look really amateur.

Speaking of JAC...is there absolutely any possibility whatsoever of us getting him? I'd rather persist with Thompson at fullback if it means we can get JAC
1. Thompson
2. Nofa
3. BJ
4. Momo
5. JAC

Pretty f**king good backline

Then eventually a marquee fullback will come on the market just as some of our bigger contracts are ending and we throw everything at them

I am far from being a club defender but I'll defend them on the Matterson situation. Unlike JAC, Stefano and Arrow, Matterson behaved like a complete toad. He refused to train with the players when the player leaders wanted to continue.The guy went on a holiday then when he returned, got stress leave. He had no intention on being cooperative after the regular season . He is not liked among the playing group....he had to go.
While there was an open player market, releasing him was our best chance of getting the best outcome over Ryan leaving rather than keeping a poisonous character in the squad.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I think that the club was worried that Cryan Matterson's toxic attitude would end up poisoning team morale so thought it best that he was gone. I think the other 3 players you mention are not like that.

The unknown

Juniors
I am far from being a club defender but I'll defend them on the Matterson situation. Unlike JAC, Stefano and Arrow, Matterson behaved like a complete toad. He refused to train with the players when the player leaders wanted to continue.The guy went on a holiday then when he returned, got stress leave. He had no intention on being cooperative after the regular season . He is not liked among the playing group....he had to go.
While there was an open player market, releasing him was our best chance of getting the best outcome over Ryan leaving rather than keeping a poisonous character in the squad.

100%. From all reports he was way offside with the players barring his best mate Twal. Its also worth noting he spat the dummy at the roosters aswell to break contract so he has history and it’s not just us

Latest posts