What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
I still think this is all smoke and mirrors from Storm until they flesh out a deal from Tigers. There is no fkn way that Cam is going to play half back, or that even in the slight off chance he did, you could guarantee he stays there for the entire season. Then on top of that you have B Smith just sitting there and what, they openly state he is now third string hooker?

I don't buy it. Storm want something in return for not starting a shit fight, and the only way to get any sort of leverage is to make loud statements that Grant will be playing for the Storm and all other clubs can't speak to him

Tigerm

First Grade
I still think this is all smoke and mirrors from Storm until they flesh out a deal from Tigers. There is no fkn way that Cam is going to play half back, or that even in the slight off chance he did, you could guarantee he stays there for the entire season. Then on top of that you have B Smith just sitting there and what, they openly state he is now third string hooker?

I don't buy it. Storm want something in return for not starting a shit fight, and the only way to get any sort of leverage is to make loud statements that Grant will be playing for the Storm and all other clubs can't speak to him
Player contracts don’t seem to mean much these days, re: Matterson etc, so we will see.

I guess a lot of it will come down to Harry’s thinking And what he wants.

simmo1

First Grade
Player contracts don’t seem to mean much these days, re: Matterson etc, so we will see.

Yeah, contracts are made to be broken these days.

Making the finals, even if it is just sneaking into 8th, will go a long way to convincing him to stay.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Brandon Smith has to be a target. He signed a 5 year deal with the promise that the 9 jersey was his from 2019, and then 2020, and now with Grant looking likely to go back there he may never get the starting hooker role. He would be spewing

I don’t reckon Brandon Smith is that special at 9, he’s an out and out 13 or the perfect bench player. Grant is considerably better then him at hooker.

If we do lose Grant at the end of the year I’d rather give Liddle and Simpkins a crack before we looked elsewhere

Tigerm

First Grade
I don’t reckon Brandon Smith is that special at 9, he’s an out and out 13 or the perfect bench player. Grant is considerably better then him at hooker.

If we do lose Grant at the end of the year I’d rather give Liddle and Simpkins a crack before we looked elsewhere
I have lost faith in Liddell and don’t know much about Simpkins. So Grant will be a big hole for us to fill, if he goes.

Walters maybe another option or even Brooks could be looked at.

gordsy

Juniors
I hope we keep Grant but one thing I'll say for teams like the Roosters, Sotrm etc is everyone who plays for them plays better. Look at Vuna. Imagine how crap he would be with us

gordynz

Juniors

I think Brandon is a great footballer who can play multiple positions exceptionally well. If you're a coach you want players exactly like him. He runs hard, tackled hard, is fit and is a great character. He may not be as lethal st hooker as Grant is but did you see that Indigenous game? He could produce that week after week given the chance.

gordynz

Juniors
Although, what Harry does isnt freakish. His skills can be replicated in the future. Maybe Simpkin is sitting there in the background quietly progressing and could hit the ground running next season.

simmo05

Bench
The merkin is a star. 5 games in and he is better than most hookers in the comp. I would offer the bloke a nice 4year deal

WA Tiger

Bench
Hopefully Grant has got bad memories of the storm...He would have felt a lot of frustrations and had at least a couple of pow wows with Bellamy.. when he was pushing hard and didn’t give up to get out of there towards the latter stages..There’s no guarantees there, there’s only guarantees with the tigers..I think according to the Mad Son rule it’s up to the player ..Madge will do everything he can to hold on to him. He knows Grant can be the start of something big. And there’s the increase of Covid in Melbourne to consider as well..

BrotherJim05

Bench

Yeah true. You never know, maybe Grant has always aspired to play for Melbourne so he was just here to get some NRL experience. If this was the case I wouldn't blame him at all, it is a loan deal after all.

But f**k me I will be gutted. I have this weird feeling about this kid like he's going to be a future immortal. and 2020 is when it all started.

Tigerm

First Grade
TIGERS WILL PUSH STORM TO GRANT HARRY A RELEASE

Expect the Wests Tigers to do everything they can within the rules to retain Harry Grant if Cameron Smith decides to play on with the Melbourne Storm.

The Storm have been in damage control this week stipulating how Grant will return to Melbourne irrespective of whether Smith decides to play on.

The only problem might be the salary cap. If Smith continues playing then there goes at least $800,000 out of Melbourne’s cap for next year.

That will be music to the ears of rival clubs queuing up to try and sign young gun number 9 Grant.

The Bulldogs offered Grant a three-year $1 million deal in 2018 – 18 months before he’d even played an NRL match.

Das Hassler

Bench
Assuming Harry watched last night's Storm / chooks game it wouldn't have helped our cause. ...any young guy would want to be part of that
To add...apart from his insulting " be a better person" line , last night's game pretty much underlined Cronk's point

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Hopefully Grant has got bad memories of the storm...He would have felt a lot of frustrations and had at least a couple of pow wows with Bellamy.. when he was pushing hard and didn’t give up to get out of there towards the latter stages..There’s no guarantees there, there’s only guarantees with the tigers..I think according to the Mad Son rule it’s up to the player ..Madge will do everything he can to hold on to him. He knows Grant can be the start of something big. And there’s the increase of Covid in Melbourne to consider as well..

Why would he have bad memories of the Storm? He went there to ply his trade under the best hooker of all time, and one of the best coaches of all time, in a well-run organisation. His time to shine has come, but I'm sure he owes a lot to the tutelage of those at the Storm.

Aside from that, we can see it's obvious Cam Smith does NOT want to play halfback. He mentioned as much post-game last night. Brandon Smith is a gun. But probably as suited to #13 role as dummy half.

Won't get my hopes up about retaining Harry, and no one should, but it would be great if he stays on. Just enjoy the year for now.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Assuming Harry watched last night's Storm / chooks game it wouldn't have helped our cause. ...any young guy would want to be part of that
To add...apart from his insulting " be a better person" line , last night's game pretty much underlined Cronk's point

That is like your opinion dude and thank god that not every young guy would want that. I also reckon Harry looks pretty happy playing with us.

Tiger05

First Grade
Won't get my hopes up about retaining Harry, and no one should, but it would be great if he stays on. Just enjoy the year for now.

Exactly. It's been a great deal for the club.I'm enjoying watching the kid play as much as I enjoyed horse face. If he goes so be it. The world goes on. I'd love to keep him though.