What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
Yes, notably for me, AD is under pressure and Brooks is back.

This is interesting. I reckon AD is the type of player we need. The guy is tough and puts in. He is great under the high ball and makes some busts.

He does have a tonne of flaws in his game and Mbye looked better offensively than AD when he was playing there. I reckon that there is a spot though for AD in our team. I just hope he isn't overpaid.

WA Tiger

Bench
But I wonder if he will sign an extension?
Not sure I'd be too disappointed if he didn't. I wouldn't be unhappy if he stayed, we do need a long-term coach to steer us through.
Your not sitting on the fence again are u M

WA Tiger

Bench
It won’t hurt the club to start looking around because coaches never lie do they..I think last weeks game was a tipping point for the club anyway..that suits me

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Your not sitting on the fence again are u M
I don’t sit on fences, but if you read what I wrote, I said that I don’t really have an opinion for what he or the club decides. It looks likely now that we probably won’t make the 8 and unfortunately for Madge, his only criteria for success is to make the 8.
Not sure who he could look at if this happens, most of his decisions are his alone.

WA Tiger

Bench
This is interesting. I reckon AD is the type of player we need. The guy is tough and puts in. He is great under the high ball and makes some busts.

He does have a tonne of flaws in his game and Mbye looked better offensively than AD when he was playing there. I reckon that there is a spot though for AD in our team. I just hope he isn't overpaid.
At the moment he is prob overpaid but if he can find that spot then he isn’t ..There is a spot for him I’m sure it’s just weather madge sees the problem he is at fullback and if Madge is willing to backtrack? I wouldn’t bet on it

WA Tiger

Bench
I don’t sit on fences, but if you read what I wrote, I said that I don’t really have an opinion for what he or the club decides. It looks likely now that we probably won’t make the 8 and unfortunately for Madge, his only criteria for success is to make the 8.
Not sure who he could look at if this happens, most of his decisions are his alone.
Of course you have an opinion. Everyone has an opinion..From your posts I can guess what it is

Choiboi

Juniors
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/st-geo...son-saab/54ae6771-359d-420e-9edd-832fd0db1629

This could help our lack of pace

"I've learned over the past few days that Jason Saab is most likely going to get a release from the Dragons for next year," Weidler told Nine's 100% Footy.

"There is a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) between his manager and Ian Millward, and that's likely to see Saab allowed to go and look at one of six clubs."

While no formal offer has been made toward the teen, who is technically still on contract until the end of 2022, it is believed his management has fielded inquiries from rival clubs aware of his desire to leave the Illawarra district.

Canterbury, Manly and South Sydney are monitoring the situation, but Wests Tigers are believed to be in the driver's seat to bag the teen.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
The club can't afford to lose Maguire. We were at massive long odds to make the 8 this year due to our poor roster. A roster that was put together by Cleary with many players being paid massive overs that were signed in panic. I think Madge has over achieved this year. I honestly thought we'd be bottom 4.

The biggest thing holding the club back & stopping us signing decent players is the turnover in our coaching ranks over the last 8 years. We've signed some promising young players but we need some old heads to help guide them through. The only way we'll get that is showing prospective players there's stability in the head office at the club. Maguire should be offered a 2 year extension, that'll give him another 3 years.
Next year is a 50/50 year, we'll see some of his signings & how they perform plus another full pre-season & year of our roster adopting Madge's playing style & structures. Unfortunately he will still be pretty hamstrung by Cleary's signings. 2022 & 2023 are make or break years for him.

I've seen improvement in the side this year, but also still plenty of the same old shit. Lets not kid ourselves & pretend that he can overturn 20 years of mediocrity (except for 3 years) within 2 years. Look how long it took Gould (he deserves massive credit for fixing their finances & junior pathways regardless of what you think of him personally) to turn around the rabble that was the Panthers. Their resources dwarf ours.

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
The club can't afford to lose Maguire. We were at massive long odds to make the 8 this year due to our poor roster. A roster that was put together by Cleary with many players being paid massive overs that were signed in panic. I think Madge has over achieved this year. I honestly thought we'd be bottom 4. The biggest thing holding the club back & stopping us signing decent players is the turnover in our coaching ranks over the last 8 years. We've signed some promising young players but we need some old heads to help guide them through. The only way we'll get that is showing prospective players there's stability in the head office at the club. Maguire should be offered a 2 year extension, that'll give him another 3 years. Next year is a 50/50 year, we'll see some of his signings & how they perform plus another full pre-season & year of our roster adopting Madge's playing style & structures. Unfortunately he will still be pretty hamstrung by Cleary's signings. 2022 & 2023 are make or break years for him. I've seen improvement in the side this year, but also still plenty of the same old shit. Lets not kid ourselves & pretend that he can overturn 20 years of mediocrity (except for 3 years) within 2 years. Look how long it took Gould (he deserves massive credit for fixing their finances & junior pathways regardless of what you think of him personally) to turn around the rabble that was the Panthers. Their resources dwarf ours.
Spot on, there is no way we would be able to attract a coach anywhere near Madge’s quality if we were looking for another coach again!

Tiger05

First Grade
Who does the board think they will get if they don't extend Madge? Do they really think they will get as lucky as they did the last two times?

Clearly was a dud. I don't think any of us picked it but Clearly left us worse off than when he came here without any upside.

I like Madge and I hope they retain him. We finally have a coach who makes big decisions and looks to be building a quality team.

Tigerm

First Grade
Legend Mark Geyer’s six targets in Tigers signing spree to break NRL finals drought
NRL PREMIERSHIP

Rugby league great Mark Geyer has called on the Tigers to go on a signing spree to end the longest finals drought in the NRL and revealed the six players he would approach first.

The Tigers have lost four of their last five games with their sole victory a 48-0 thrashing of the lowly Broncos and Geyer believes they need to bring in the cavalry to improve Michael Maguire’s playing roster.

“I’ve identified some players that I think would be fantastic at the Tigers,” Geyer said on Mom
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f3cc7ceed007d3efbf9ea2b5c26f6e9b

“In the forwards the first one would be Adam Elliot from the Bulldogs. Gee I rate him as a player, I really do.

“Bailey Sironen from the Rabbitohs. His father played for the great club. He is one of the most improved forwards in the competition at the moment. I would be chasing him if I was the Tigers.

“This hurts me to say this because he is from the Panthers, but I would be going after James Tamou.

“You need that air of seniority and that air of respect that James Tamou demands and I think he would be fantastic for these young forwards like Blore, Mikaele and Garner coming through.”

Geyer believes the Tigers need strike in their outside backs and identified Rabbitohs flyer Alex Johnston as the key to a backline overhaul.

“In the backs if I want to sign Alex Johnston to be my fullback that means Adam Doueihi will be my centre and Moses Mbye goes to the No.14,” Geyer said.

“I also think they should chase Euan Aitken from the Dragons.

“With the right coaching he could be anything. He wasn’t on the fringe of Origin a couple of years ago by fluke.

“You don’t lose your form by fluke. You lose your drive and your tenacity and that comes from your surroundings, so a change of scenery could be just what Euan Aitken is after.”

Where that leaves star centre Joey Leilua remains to be seen, but Geyer feels the keys to the team need to be given to Luke Brooks at halfback.

“Someone like Jaeman Salmon form the Eels or Jack Cogger from the Bulldogs could be a good five-eighth,” Geyer said.

“They need someone who is not going to intimidate Luke Brooks. Brooks has got to say it is my team let’s go. Let’s play footy because they have got the forward pack that can match it with any other team.”

Replacing Harry Grant, who is set to return to the Storm at season’s end at hooker is arguably the Tigers’ toughest task, but Geyer believes the answer could already be on their books.

“They will lose Harry grant back to the Storm, so Jacob Liddle is hopefully back from injury soon,” Geyer said.

“He was next in line before he got hit with the injury stick. I think him or Josh Reynolds. I think Reynolds is a No.9 now.

“Even Moses Mbye could play No.9. If Ben Hunt can play hooker at Origin level, why can’t Mbye be a No.9 as well?”

BrotherJim05

Bench
Even if MG is right...what does he think we have been trying to do for the past 6 years? Not sign players? It's like "oh wait a second, we didn't realise we should be trying to sign players...I thought we were supposed to not sign players and just deerrrpppp"

Nobody wants to come to Tigers and until we start making the 8 and lock Madge up long term it will continue

super_coach

First Grade
Read somewhere Widdop wants to return, be just what we need. Good 6 or 7, can run a team and very good kicker, both in general play and goal kicking. Okay no spring chicken, but I think you could squeeze a few years out of him. We have plenty of swap options to sweeten the deal

Latest posts