What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WA Tiger

Bench
I think if we just put our long overdue and justified hopes and dreams aside just until the end of this season, then the off field entertainment (and maybe on) could be top caliber. More perhaps with a comedy slant than anything else ...with a new dawn next year hopefully

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I am not sure I agree with this, the players dropped, deserved it. Maybe lack of depth hasn't helped, but allowing the players to give the same poor effort game after game wasn't going to work either. Though I do think some of his continued selections are surprising.

They are professional players, Madge doesn't miss the tackles or drop the ball.

I did say in another post, that some players were just happy to be there, but we have no one to replace them.

I think a lot of the kids we are picking are prob 3-5 years away from being first grade players (especially the forwards). So its going to be a long haul to get out of this, but we will eventually.

I hate waiting, but I don't appear to have much choice, as I aint going anywhere else.

Madge has done more than what every arm chair critic would expect him to do. The simple fact is that we have a dud roster. That is over-simplifying the situation because every club in the comp including us have some talented players and the team can perform better than what it has the past 2 weeks however it's also true.

We need some quality spine players and at least one gun outside back. I also think that we have to build up the roster over time. I don't want to wait either but we missed out on signing one guy (Latrell) who could have made a difference. I think we got second best in Douiehi. It's not like Madge isn't trying.

Madge also signed Lucy and Blore who both appear to be guys we can build around. There is a lot to do but sacking the coach who to me appears to be pushing to make the club a top club seems stupid.

Tigerm

First Grade
There's talk on the other WT forum, that we are interested in signing Proctor from the Titans.

Not read it anywhere else, so not sure how true it may be. We do seem to get tagged to a lot of players, don't we.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think if we just put our long overdue and justified hopes and dreams aside just until the end of this season, then the off field entertainment (and maybe on) could be top caliber. More perhaps with a comedy slant than anything else ...with a new dawn next year hopefully

The problem to me is that there is no easy fix. We need a new spine. Grant is really good but he suffers a little bit from the Robbie Farah "there is a 20 man overlap but I'll try and score myself" attitude. I don't think any of the other spine players we have are proven quality first graders in the positions that they are in. Benji definitely has been a quality spine player but at his best he was inconsistent and he is miles past his best.

You can't go to market and get those types of players. We have to build them up slowly.

Pezz70

Juniors
There's talk on the other WT forum, that we are interested in signing Proctor from the Titans.

Not read it anywhere else, so not sure how true it may be. We do seem to get tagged to a lot of players, don't we.
No thx had a good game on the weekend, but has been pretty average overall at the Titans. 31 years old be just another piece of baggage.

^
The Titans scored a major coup by securing Broncos giant David Fifita last week but are in danger of letting a key player slip through their fingers.

Lanky Kiwi back-rower Kevin Proctor was the best forward on the field in the club's record win over the Cowboys yesterday, scoring one try and setting up two others.

But Proctor is in hot demand, with Wests Tigers keen on him and several English clubs also on the scent.

Proctor has yet to come to terms with the Titans and if he does go, he will be a major loss to a club set for good things in coming years.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-h...n-cleary/5da1ded8-3f68-4cab-86d9-c18a2df9fc45

The Mole, pfft, just gets info from fan forums.

Tigerm

First Grade
No thx had a good game on the weekend, but has been pretty average overall at the Titans. 31 years old be just another piece of baggage.
I don’t know much about him, except he played for the Storm as well, but you do need some old heads to help the young blokes come through.
Packer should be one, but not sure if Lawrence, Taylor or McQueen will be there to help.

Did you see that piece on Arthur Beetson last week or week before?
Chris Close was recounting the first SOO and AB was in the sheds preparing himself for the game, put shoe polish under his eyes, Vick’s up his nose, chalked his arms and jersey & taped his hands up and CC was in awe, he said he was going to war against NSW and CC (who was 20 yo at the time) said he never forgot it and always tried to do the same every game.

It’s what old heads can show you.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Sure we could do with a quality full back, winger, center, 5/8, halfback and a few forwards but I reckon what we need more than anything is a top gun goal kicker. Don't care what position he plays.Don't care if he is a dead average player.
It must be gut wrenching for the team to see so many important kicks go wide even from relatively easy spots. A kick could meant the difference in attitude of "we are a real chance of winning this" to a heart sinking feeling of knowing it is unlikely because we will have to score 3 tries to the oppositions 2 just to break even.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Madge has done more than what every arm chair critic would expect him to do. The simple fact is that we have a dud roster. That is over-simplifying the situation because every club in the comp including us have some talented players and the team can perform better than what it has the past 2 weeks however it's also true.

We need some quality spine players and at least one gun outside back. I also think that we have to build up the roster over time. I don't want to wait either but we missed out on signing one guy (Latrell) who could have made a difference. I think we got second best in Douiehi. It's not like Madge isn't trying.

Madge also signed Lucy and Blore who both appear to be guys we can build around. There is a lot to do but sacking the coach who to me appears to be pushing to make the club a top club seems stupid.

Agree totally.

You can break down our roster mismanagement into 3 key aspects.

1. highest paid players are not anywhere near talented enough to demand top dollar
2. There are players who are not involved at NRL level each week who are also on good coin. eg. Reynolds & McQueen
3. We have a 350k cap fine for 2020. That is the equivalent of an NRL standard player who has 150 games experience.

I think Madge's signings have been positive so far, especially when compared to Ivan and Taylor.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Sure we could do with a quality full back, winger, center, 5/8, halfback and a few forwards but I reckon what we need more than anything is a top gun goal kicker. Don't care what position he plays.Don't care if he is a dead average player.
It must be gut wrenching for the team to see so many important kicks go wide even from relatively easy spots. A kick could meant the difference in attitude of "we are a real chance of winning this" to a heart sinking feeling of knowing it is unlikely because we will have to score 3 tries to the oppositions 2 just to break even.
I think Rhyse Martin is too good to playing ESL and he kicks at 80%. I'm not sure how long he is contracted but he is an absolute no brainer of a signing.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
^
The Titans scored a major coup by securing Broncos giant David Fifita last week but are in danger of letting a key player slip through their fingers.

Lanky Kiwi back-rower Kevin Proctor was the best forward on the field in the club's record win over the Cowboys yesterday, scoring one try and setting up two others.

But Proctor is in hot demand, with Wests Tigers keen on him and several English clubs also on the scent.

Proctor has yet to come to terms with the Titans and if he does go, he will be a major loss to a club set for good things in coming years.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-h...n-cleary/5da1ded8-3f68-4cab-86d9-c18a2df9fc45

The Mole, pfft, just gets info from fan forums.

This is bullshit. Proctor is quoted on NRL.com saying he'd like to stay at the GC and help the re-build.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
The problem to me is that there is no easy fix. We need a new spine. Grant is really good but he suffers a little bit from the Robbie Farah "there is a 20 man overlap but I'll try and score myself" attitude. I don't think any of the other spine players we have are proven quality first graders in the positions that they are in. Benji definitely has been a quality spine player but at his best he was inconsistent and he is miles past his best.

You can't go to market and get those types of players. We have to build them up slowly.
I think Reynolds is personally worth another go. At Canterbury he played in winning sides 6 out of 8 seasons. A club like WT (with a losing culture) cannot afford to part company with blokes who know what it take to win.

On the flip side we are very keen to pat Benji and Chris Lawrence on the back but they haven;t played in winning sides. It's harsh to criticise but something has to change after 10 years of failure.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think Reynolds is personally worth another go. At Canterbury he played in winning sides 6 out of 8 seasons. A club like WT (with a losing culture) cannot afford to part company with blokes who know what it take to win.

On the flip side we are very keen to pat Benji and Chris Lawrence on the back but they haven;t played in winning sides. It's harsh to criticise but something has to change after 10 years of failure.

I think you have to pick Reynolds over Benji and Garner over Lawrence for this game. I don't think Reynolds is the solution for us but I'd love him to fill that role for us next year. You have to give him another chance now.

I think it's pretty obvious we need some changes in the club but that is going to take some time. I think we need to develop a couple of class players.

Tiger05

First Grade
Beggers cant be choosers! If we have the opportunity to get TPJ at a reasonable price then I reckon we have to roll the dice

He is a quality player. At the same time I can understand not getting him. We have guys like Aloiai in the team and I like that type of player.

super_coach

First Grade
He is a quality player. At the same time I can understand not getting him. We have guys like Aloiai in the team and I like that type of player.

TPJ would be a good buy for a strong team where he could cash in on the strength of the players around him. In a team like ours I could not see him taking on the leader role that we would require.
Anyway after playing for a busted Bronks outfit, you don’t than sign for another busted outfit.
As usual we will have to sniff around the players who will be moved out to create space for the top clubs to top up....happens every year