What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

axl rose

Bench
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/cfcf9bc387f7a7ca00f50220bd8f4dda

Wests Tigers will have just $300,000 to spend next year should the club fail in a bid to offload one of four highly paid players that are in the firing line.

In a revelation which exposes the true and shocking state of the salary cap inherited by Michael Maguire, the Tigers will only be able to add two minimum wage players to their struggling squad unless they can free up cap cash by releasing either Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks, Russell Packer or Moses Mbye.

News Corp can reveal the Tigers are just $300,000 away from reaching next year’s $9.9 million salary and still have three spots on their 30-man roster to fill.

With the Tigers set to start next season without a significant signing, Mbye this week joined Reynolds, Brooks and Packer when he was added to the Tigers’ fire sale.

Signed on an $815,000 a year-deal, Mbye has already been linked to the Gold Coast in a move that would, at the very least, give the Tigers enough cash to fill their NRL squad.

The Tigers would have to offload at least one more big-money player before even thinking about signing a marquee.

Reynolds ($850,000), Packer ($750,000) and Brooks ($600,000) are the three other players on the unofficial ‘let-go’ list.

While the quartet haven’t been formally shopped to rival clubs or told to look for a new deal, the Tigers will not stop the players from talking to rival clubs, nor stand in their way should they be able to strike a deal.

Locked in a desperate fight to make the eight after a crushing loss to Newcastle on Saturday night, the Tigers are facing the prospect of starting next season with what could be a weaker 30-man squad than what they have this year.

Set to send loan sensation Harry Grant back to Melbourne, the Tigers have signed Shawn Blore (Panthers), Asu Kepaoa (Roosters) and Stefano Utoikamanu (Eels) for next year.

The club will likely lose veterans Benji Marshall and Chris Lawrence to retirement.

With Blore and Kepaoa already at the club, the remaining positions will be filled by development players.

Beginning his three-year reign as Tigers coach last year, Maguire inherited a salary cap mess with players including Chris McQueen, Ben Matulino, Elijah Taylor, Packer, Reynolds and Mbye all signed to significant long-term deals.

Maguire has been restricted to making only a handful of signings with Robert Jennings, Adam Doueihi, Billy Waters, Zane Musgrave and Joey and Luciano Leilua the only other players he has recruited to the club.

Despite the salary cap restrictions, Maguire has managed to improve the Tigers in 11 of the 12 key on-field areas since joining the club.

While often credited for their defence, statistics also reveal the Tigers are scoring more points, making more run metres, making more tackle busts and making more linebreaks under Maguire.

Blackwhitegold

Juniors
Would Kyle Flanagan be a good fit for the tigers next year? Straight swap for brooks. Flanagan would organise and direct the team better than Brooks plus he kicks goals. This move could be immense for the tigers. Ashamed that we missed out on Aitken, it’s a great pick up for the warriors. I hope we get AJ from the bunnies and some quick skilful outside backs throw in 1 or 2 big bodies for the middle. I’d like to see how Liddle goes to indicate if he is in the club’s future, if he’s got it my spine for next year will be.
1. AJ
6. AD
7. Flanagan
9. Liddle

Blackwhitegold

Juniors
Players tigers I think they should chase to sign after getting rid of dead wood or over paid merkins.
1. Kyle Flanagan
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. James Tahmou
4. Tevita pangai junior
5. Jack De Belin
6. Charlie Staines
7. Alex Johnson

Tiger Ted

Bench
Thats the first time Ive seen Brooks' name in the "let go" list in the press.

That alone is a positive development.
Long overdue.Looks like the penny might have finally dropped for Maguire re how inept a game manager Brooks really is.However Maguire is culpable for extending his contract last season.

BTW how the fk has the sacred cow Pascoe gotten away without criticism by the media re the catastrophic mismanagement of our cap under his watch.The day the grub Cleary jumped off the bus is the day his old mate Pascoe should’ve been sacked.

Shredder

Juniors
I think some of it with Brooks is you need to replace him with someone and they rarely swap teams.

Decent halves dont come up often and most clubs would probably prefer to grow their own.

I would like to see how Madden develops, but hes still a way off from the last time I saw him play

Perth Tiger

Bench
How much can we trust that article. I can only see that we have 25 contracted players for next year so far but the article claims we only have 3 spots left to fill.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Would Kyle Flanagan be a good fit for the tigers next year? Straight swap for brooks. Flanagan would organise and direct the team better than Brooks plus he kicks goals. This move could be immense for the tigers. Ashamed that we missed out on Aitken, it’s a great pick up for the warriors. I hope we get AJ from the bunnies and some quick skilful outside backs throw in 1 or 2 big bodies for the middle. I’d like to see how Liddle goes to indicate if he is in the club’s future, if he’s got it my spine for next year will be.
1. AJ
6. AD
7. Flanagan
9. Liddle

Johnston has re- signed with the Bunnies

axl rose

Bench
1. AJ
6. AD
7. Flanagan
9. Liddle
Would be good. But he will likely end up at Saints when Flannagan takes over

Pezz70

Juniors
Really? I read an article yesterday where he said he was being forced out and wouldn't be there next year.
I thought I heard it on the radio a couple of days ago, the headline from yesterday reads he is resigned to leaving Souths, maybe I miss heard re-signed and resigned :)

He’d be a good get and has history with Maguire

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm pretty sure AJ is definitely leaving Souths. The question where he ends up. We could use him.

Fordy20

Juniors
You would think he ends up at Melbourne. They lost Junior Ratuvu to the Warriors and Suli and JAC are leaving too.