What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
I seem to recall we actually almost signed Finucane from the Bulldogs many years ago but he opted for Storm (smart move). He is everything we need at Tigers. Would take him in a heartbeat and would walk straight into the 13 jersey

WA Tiger

Bench
I’d like to see the WT pull a fast one for Reynolds to solve the halves impediment we have and more of course with a mil + deal .It'll be hard to pry him away from the Broncos tho , ...imo he wouldnt want to be coached by a new boy .......If by some miracle we did that and succeeded it would mean forgiveness from me, esp re our attempts? to recruit JAC

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
Watching 'The Fan' the other night, and coaches were asked about the biggest footy nerd they've coached. Bellamy said Finucane is the most meticulous and professional in his preparation for a game of footy. High praise considering the players he's coached, and exactly what Wests Tigers need.

Tiger05

First Grade
Watching 'The Fan' the other night, and coaches were asked about the biggest footy nerd they've coached. Bellamy said Finucane is the most meticulous and professional in his preparation for a game of footy. High praise considering the players he's coached, and exactly what Wests Tigers need.

I'm pretty sure he said the same thing about Adam Blair. This signing to me is the exact type of signing we should avoid dependent on the contract we get him on.

stryker

First Grade
I'm pretty sure he said the same thing about Adam Blair. This signing to me is the exact type of signing we should avoid dependent on the contract we get him on.
Why would you avoid signing one of the best backrowers in the game when ours are mediocre?

Tiger05

First Grade
Why would you avoid signing one of the best backrowers in the game when ours are mediocre?

Luc is not mediocre. Garner hasn't been playing mediocre footy. Blore may come on and fill an edge role. We need a lock forward but maybe someone in the club will fill that role.

We have the following middle forwards:-
1. Tamou
2. Twal
3. Musgrove
4. Joe O
5. Stefano
6. Seyfarth
7. Mikaele
8. Tom Amone
9. Tuki Simpkins

To me signings are now all risk based. If you are building a club to win the comp do you think our roster needs more middle forwards or do we need better outside backs, edge forwards or halves ?

I reckon Tamou is a decent player but I don't think he has added much if anything to the team this year mainly because we have a bunch of middle forwards.

Blair was the best forward in the game when we signed him. I don't think anyone would consider Finucane one of the top forwards in the game.

Sure if you can get him on a low value contract I'd go for it. He may but I'm not convinced do the job at lock.

stryker

First Grade
Luc is not mediocre. Garner hasn't been playing mediocre footy. Blore may come on and fill an edge role. We need a lock forward but maybe someone in the club will fill that role.

1. Tamou
2. Twal
3. Musgrove
4. Joe O
5. Stefano
6. Seyfarth
7. Mikaele
8. Tom Amone
9. Tuki Simpkins

To me signings are now all risk based. If you are building a club to win the comp do you think our roster needs more middle forwards or do we need better outside backs, edge forwards or halves ?

I reckon Tamou is a decent player but I don't think he has added much if anything to the team this year mainly because we have a bunch of middle forwards.

Blair was the best forward in the game when we signed him. I don't think anyone would consider Finucane one of the top forwards in the game.

Sure if you can get him on a low value contract I'd go for it. He may but I'm not convinced do the job at lock.

Dale Finucane is one of the better forwards in the competition, bringing a wealth of experience with his 200 plus first grade games, 6 grand final appearances and handful of origin games.
Easily better than what we have on contract.

The trainer being an ex has certainly worked with other clubs, Sutton at Souths, Ryan Hoffman at the Storm, Peter Wallace did it at Penrith, Alfie Langer etc. Ronnie Palmer had his last 1st grade game 26 years ago, maybe his knees are shot.

I don't think Farah would be afraid to speak his mind, I think it would work with the likes of Adam Douhei and young Simpkins, Farah apparently was working with the 9's over the summer.

Brooks on the other hand, well Brooks always looks intimidated by Farah and Marshall so if Farah was going to get up him, I think Brooks will not just get back in his shell, he'll stay there.

I wonder though if Madden would see Farah on the field as a bonus, perhaps he enjoyed working with Farah over the summer alongside Simpkins.
I wrote ^ about Brooks looking intimidated etc, interesting in the following that Doueihi says “I actually gave him permission to get into me on the field.″⁣ in regards to Farah.

Love to see Farah get up Brooks.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...w-farah-fired-up-doueihi-20210507-p57pt2.html

Tiger05

First Grade
Dale Finucane is one of the better forwards in the competition, bringing a wealth of experience with his 200 plus first grade games, 6 grand final appearances and handful of origin games.
Easily better than what we have on contract.

How many people said the same thing about Tamou ? Sometimes it's not a good match.

To qualify everything depends on the contract. If we get him for cheap then go for it. If not then run.

Tigerm

First Grade
How many people said the same thing about Tamou ? Sometimes it's not a good match.

To qualify everything depends on the contract. If we get him for cheap then go for it. If not then run.
You don’t get good players cheap?

magpie_man

Juniors

Tamou had a history of being up and down like a fiddler's elbow; he frustrated Cowboys and Penrith fans alike until, admittedly, a stellar final season at the 'riff. He was always a risk and, thus far, hasn't performed to expectations.
Dale is a completely different animal, he's a professional and a leader - I can't recall ever seeing him phone-it-in, ever.

Tiger05

First Grade
You don’t get good players cheap?

You do. It happens all the time. Melbourne and the rorters do it all the time. We've done it as well. Laurie is a great example.

All I care about after losing so often is winning and that to me comes down to managing the cap well.

Tigerm

First Grade
You do. It happens all the time. Melbourne and the rorters do it all the time. We've done it as well. Laurie is a great example.

All I care about after losing so often is winning and that to me comes down to managing the cap well.
We were talking about elite players i.e. Finucane
You won’t get the best, cheap. Laurie was a good purchase, I wonder if Suallii from Easts will be, they are more gamble, in there early years.
Hartigan has repeatedly shown he won’t pay overs.
Kids are OK, but it just means we will have to wait longer for this elusive success we all crave.

Tiger05

First Grade
We were talking about elite players i.e. Finucane
You won’t get the best, cheap. Laurie was a good purchase, I wonder if Suallii from Easts will be, they are more gamble, in there early years.
Hartigan has repeatedly shown he won’t pay overs.
Kids are OK, but it just means we will have to wait longer for this elusive success we all crave.

Finucane to me isn't elite. Elite is Turdesco, Tommy T, Latrell, RTS, Munster etc.

I'm cool with signing him but we've been burned before and I don't want to see it happening again. Calling Finucane elite to me is a massive concern. We did this with Blair as well.

I think Hartigan/Madge have recruited really really well recently but I think we overpaid for Nofo. If we get a couple more players like that it's more years in the wilderness.

Tigerm

First Grade
Finucane to me isn't elite. Elite is Turdesco, Tommy T, Latrell, RTS, Munster etc.

I'm cool with signing him but we've been burned before and I don't want to see it happening again. Calling Finucane elite to me is a massive concern. We did this with Blair as well.

I think Hartigan/Madge have recruited really really well recently but I think we overpaid for Nofo. If we get a couple more players like that it's more years in the wilderness.
Well, one of the major measures for elite is playing SOO and he has.
Blair was a superstar when we signed him, agree he turned out as possibly the worst signing ever?
I agree with NOT over paying, but I guess the club has to decide how long they can afford to stay in the wilderness?

Tiger05

First Grade
Well, one of the major measures for elite is playing SOO and he has.
Blair was a superstar when we signed him, agree he turned out as possibly the worst signing ever?
I agree with NOT over paying, but I guess the club has to decide how long they can afford to stay in the wilderness?

It's about risk management. The problem with your comment there is that if we overpay we end up in the wilderness for longer. Why are the Storm letting him go ? This isn't someone like Tino who the Titans went hard for early and the Storm were blown out of the water for an upcoming talent. This is a guy at the back end of his career that has been performing in a top team with quality players all around him.

I don't have a problem with getting him at the right dollars but Finucane could end up Blair mark 2.

Magpies Forever

Juniors

1. Tamou
2. Twal
3. Musgrove
4. Joe O
5. Stefano
6. Seyfarth
7. Mikaele
8. Tom Amone
9. Tuki Simpkins

Ive always regarded Tamou as a better replacement for Packer- better $$$ value, more consistent and at very least contributing to the team and having a go- both as captain and player- something rarely said abut Packer.

Latest posts