What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The Rosco

Bench
Ennis had a fortunate career for a player with average skills, if any thing he over achieved, but to hear him and Anasta bang on about rugby league on Fox anyone would think they were the next immortals.
Their problem is that they need to fill the silence when not much is going on onfield.
They don't have the intelligence to fill a sack with dirt, let alone hold interesting dialogue.
They both feature high on the list of reasons I want to shoot the TV.

Tigerm

First Grade
so win % when he has played is 40.96% that is very poor indeed. It would be true to say that Nofa must also be around that figure as well.
Does anyone know how Brook’s win % compares with other 7’s?

I know there would be a few in front of him, but there would be a few below him?

simmo1

First Grade
Does anyone know how Brook’s win % compares with other 7’s?

I know there would be a few in front of him, but there would be a few below him?

To give you an idea how low he would rank:

Luke Brooks: 167 games played. 41.32% Win percentage.

Chris Sandow: 159 games played. 42.14% Win percentage.

That's total games played. They may have both had a couple of games at 6 or off the bench.

Tiger05

First Grade
Got bored and ran the numbers. Win/Loss % where Brooks has NOT played in bold.

Win: 23.5% (41.3%)
Loss: 76.5% (58.7%)

Interesting stat. Brooks isn't good but he isn't that shit. Plus there aren't many quality 7's in the comp.

Yesterday summed Brooksy up though. A 40/20 and then he throws a forward pass. Mbye showed he has got a lovely pass on him when he threw a beautiful ball for Ken. He also had so many shockers. AD was crap. Liddle is going backwards at a fast pace.

Our spine are all over the place. Out outside backs are crap. Talau is another one. He has some good moments but so many bad moments. Our forward pack has it's moments. Stef is a weapon. Blore is improving.

We need like 5 quality players added to the team.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I agree Tiger, we definitely need a number of quality players added to the team. Two from Super League won't get us into the top 8.

Apparently there was something on the radio that the Wests Tigers got in touch with Paul Vaughn to make him an offer only for him to say "I wish you had called earlier. I just signed a contract half an hour ago."

I don't mention this to discuss if he would have been good for us or not but it just shows how inept our recruitment team is. Maybe they take their lead from our Prime Minister, Slow Mo. "This is not a race." Nope never any need to move faster than snails pace. It has really provided dividends for us so far. Just imagine how many quality players we can miss out on if we keep going with this strategy.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Got bored and ran the numbers. Win/Loss % where Brooks has NOT played in bold.

Win: 23.5% (41.3%)
Loss: 76.5% (58.7%)

thanks for running the numbers. It I read it correct the win/loss is about the same whether playing with or with out Brooks at around 41%.

The thing that surprised me is that he has been vary durable. He has only missed a dozen or so games since debut. I can think of a hamstring injury 2-3 years back but no other extended lay offs.

I watched yesterday thinking how would hastings fit in here? The logical position would be 7 with brooks at 6 but where does that leave Doueihi? AD ran the ball far too often yesterday. He cannot hit a hard running back rower with a short pass, nor can he stand deep and get good early ball out wide.

Madge said in the pre game that the side had worked hard on their attack but there was stuff all proof of it.

My suggestion is to play Nofa at fullback. He was really good at pushing up to support ball carriers in the final round vs Parra last year

Hoofhearted

Juniors
thanks for running the numbers. It I read it correct the win/loss is about the same whether playing with or with out Brooks at around 41%.

The thing that surprised me is that he has been vary durable. He has only missed a dozen or so games since debut. I can think of a hamstring injury 2-3 years back but no other extended lay offs.

I watched yesterday thinking how would hastings fit in here? The logical position would be 7 with brooks at 6 but where does that leave Doueihi? AD ran the ball far too often yesterday. He cannot hit a hard running back rower with a short pass, nor can he stand deep and get good early ball out wide.

Madge said in the pre game that the side had worked hard on their attack but there was stuff all proof of it.

My suggestion is to play Nofa at fullback. He was really good at pushing up to support ball carriers in the final round vs Parra last year
I've watched a bit of him in the Super League, and I know its not NRL, but he is a 100% half back. Wigan have been using him at fullback recently to cover injuries and its no coincidence that they are going through a rough patch. The main thing he seems to have which we need is talk and direction, he is always near the ball and always talking and pointing. He single headedly dragged Salford, a perennial bottom team in the Super League, to the Grand Final a couple of years ago.
My hope is that his form in the Super League transfers to the NRL, that he can run the team assertively and Brooks can become a running 5/8 giving us a left/right foot kicking combo. Maybe Douehi becomes a Lock in the Radley type mold.

Tiger05

First Grade
My hope is that his form in the Super League transfers to the NRL, that he can run the team assertively and Brooks can become a running 5/8 giving us a left/right foot kicking combo. Maybe Douehi becomes a Lock in the Radley type mold.

I hope he kills it here. I don't care what position he plays but ideally it's in the spine. I don't care where those other players move. Laurie, Brooks and Doueihi should all make our first grade team somewhere. Liddle is struggling. We have to fix the 9 position. Are we confident next year with Liddle and Simpkins as our dummy half ?

The reality is we need Hastings to kill it next year because he appears to be our best signing.

I think centres are our worst position at this point. We've got Talau and MCK there now with Jimmy Roberts and maybe Cini backing them up. Can Gildart play ?

Doueihi makes the team somewhere and he will win us games. He just needs better players around him.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I hope he kills it here. I don't care what position he plays but ideally it's in the spine. I don't care where those other players move. Laurie, Brooks and Doueihi should all make our first grade team somewhere. Liddle is struggling. We have to fix the 9 position. Are we confident next year with Liddle and Simpkins as our dummy half ?

The reality is we need Hastings to kill it next year because he appears to be our best signing.

I think centres are our worst position at this point. We've got Talau and MCK there now with Jimmy Roberts and maybe Cini backing them up. Can Gildart play ?

Doueihi makes the team somewhere and he will win us games. He just needs better players around him.
Gildart is a gun centre in Super League, but so were Kallum Watkins and Dan Sarginson. He has performed well at international level against the Kiwis which is a good sign, but realistically it will depend on who is playing on the inside and what opportunities they provide him.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I've watched a bit of him in the Super League, and I know its not NRL, but he is a 100% half back. Wigan have been using him at fullback recently to cover injuries and its no coincidence that they are going through a rough patch. The main thing he seems to have which we need is talk and direction, he is always near the ball and always talking and pointing. He single headedly dragged Salford, a perennial bottom team in the Super League, to the Grand Final a couple of years ago.
I realy like this suggestion but I don't see Madge as having enough smarts to get it going.

Our attack is straight out woeful at the moment. I cannot see any evidence of a plan from week to week. There are no go to set plays which you can see in most sides.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Gildart is a gun centre in Super League, but so were Kallum Watkins and Dan Sarginson. He has performed well at international level against the Kiwis which is a good sign, but realistically it will depend on who is playing on the inside and what opportunities they provide him.
He's about as big as Junior Pauga which doesnt give me a lot of confidence but I was also skeptical of Sam Burgess making it at NRL level before he came over.

stryker

First Grade
He's about as big as Junior Pauga which doesnt give me a lot of confidence but I was also skeptical of Sam Burgess making it at NRL level before he came over.
Pommy forwards generally do well here.
Pommy backs generally do not.
I hope he settles in quick but it’ll be a slog for him I’d suspect.

Pezz70

Juniors
Pommy forwards generally do well here.
Pommy backs generally do not.
I hope he settles in quick but it’ll be a slog for him I’d suspect.
Hanley, Schofield, Courier, all played alright for the tigers. Chariots Offiah went alright. Gareth Widdop and George Williams have done pretty well. They’re just the ones of the top of my head, probably a couple more were ok. Defence can be an issue

Latest posts