What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
To recap “excuse the pun” JAC as reported decided not to come to WT under Madge coz he was advised not to by south’s players (and there were plenty others there who’s been coached by Madge)..when he went into the SOO camp..need I say more about how that will negatively impact our chances of future success especially when we have $$ to spend

No offense but this is some of the dumbest days of our lives shit I've ever read.

I'll bet a million dollars on it that JAC was offered a better contract and that is why he went to the Dogs.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I disagree. I want him to stay but if he goes the place isn't a mess. We look worse to me than what we actually are. Our cap isn't screwed. We have some good young talent coming through.

This is not a Cleary situation.
I'm worried that if Madge stays we have 2 more years of not being able to recruit anyone of decent value. We extend our time out of the top 8 to 12 years which in the minds of players, sponsors and supporters reinforces and deeply in-beds the belief we are a basket case making it even harder to crawl out from the bottom of the pit.
It doesn't matter if our cap isn't screwed if we can't buy quality players.

WA Tiger

Bench
I disagree. I want him to stay but if he goes the place isn't a mess. We look worse to me than what we actually are. Our cap isn't screwed. We have some good young talent coming through.

This is not a Cleary situation.
I gotta say tho that’s right up there. And forget the cap. With Madge here we will be lucky to spend our quota if we buy for success. Madge brings way different problems than what Cleary brought, and imo problems no better than what Cleary brought.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
No offense but this is some of the dumbest days of our lives shit I've ever read.

I'll bet a million dollars on it that JAC was offered a better contract and that is why he went to the Dogs.
You have zero evidence of that whilst there are published reports along the lines that WA detailed.

WT Unity

Juniors
Playing devils advocate here -> but no matter whether we sack Madge and bring in Flano, Morris or Green (examples) the thing that doesn't change is the unsigned players that are currently out there, all of whom are probably gettable as they are running out of options (we've been there before) and desperate enough to play anywhere (even with us - see even I'm ribbing us now). So the question is...Will changing the coach now get us any better playing talent for 2022? - Probably Not! What they have to weigh up is whether replacing the coach now can get things happening recruitment wise for 2023/24.
The other point of course is to look to do what other clubs have done to us in the past (I'm looking at you Parra (Matterson) and Manly (Aloiai) and leverage a contracted player out of their current club / deal early. Underhanded - Yes (up until November 1) but it might be time for the hunted to become the hunter. Management have got to roll the sleeves up and prepare to get down and dirty!

WT Unity

Juniors
You have zero evidence of that whilst there are published reports along the lines that WA detailed.
Evidence? My two bobs worth...
Whilst probably not hard evidence it was widely rumoured to be a big TPA that swayed JAC to the Bulldogs. A big TPA brokered by Laundy Group who just so happen to the Dog's Major Sponsor.
We'll never really know the full truth but it could be a little bit column A and a little bit column B. But I'd never rule out cash as being the major motivator in a contract negotiation.

Tigerm

First Grade
Playing devils advocate here -> but no matter whether we sack Madge and bring in Flano, Morris or Green (examples) the thing that doesn't change is the unsigned players that are currently out there, all of whom are probably gettable as they are running out of options (we've been there before) and desperate enough to play anywhere (even with us - see even I'm ribbing us now). So the question is...Will changing the coach now get us any better playing talent for 2022? - Probably Not! What they have to weigh up is whether replacing the coach now can get things happening recruitment wise for 2023/24.
The other point of course is to look to do what other clubs have done to us in the past (I'm looking at you Parra (Matterson) and Manly (Aloiai) and leverage a contracted player out of their current club / deal early. Underhanded - Yes (up until November 1) but it might be time for the hunted to become the hunter. Management have got to roll the sleeves up and prepare to get down and dirty!
TBF, we have just said goodbye to 5 players, but we don't know what they have planned for future signings, I don't think Hartigan would not have one, but the coaching speculation may become an issue, if its not resolved by Nov 1?
I trouble is, the good talent don't want to leave generally and our non-finals appearances sucks, so I don't blame them, but money talks and we have plenty.
Also, I think our current "value" of new signings, has to be reviewed, for a few players (leaders), as other clubs are falling over themselves signing at any price like we we use to do? The dogs are already stating they can't sign blokes they have made offers to, because of salary cap constraint?

Tiger05

First Grade

This is bullshit. You can't just make up a story and paint it as fact when it's not. I put money on it my version is much more accurate.

Tiger05

First Grade
I gotta say tho that’s right up there. And forget the cap. With Madge here we will be lucky to spend our quota if we buy for success. Madge brings way different problems than what Cleary brought, and imo problems no better than what Cleary brought.

I view Madge > Cleary but as stated above Cleary got an average squad performing to a decent standard. Madge hasn't gotten these guys performing to their level consistently.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm worried that if Madge stays we have 2 more years of not being able to recruit anyone of decent value. We extend our time out of the top 8 to 12 years which in the minds of players, sponsors and supporters reinforces and deeply in-beds the belief we are a basket case making it even harder to crawl out from the bottom of the pit.
It doesn't matter if our cap isn't screwed if we can't buy quality players.

I don't think it can get much worse apart from a buying spree of average players on overs. Your comment and others about spending the cap are valid.

I don't know what to do to turn the club around. I just don't see sacking Madge as fixing it.

WA Tiger

Bench
Evidence? My two bobs worth...
Whilst probably not hard evidence it was widely rumoured to be a big TPA that swayed JAC to the Bulldogs. A big TPA brokered by Laundy Group who just so happen to the Dog's Major Sponsor.
We'll never really know the full truth but it could be a little bit column A and a little bit column B. But I'd never rule out cash as being the major motivator in a contract negotiation.
Excluding Mitchell of course

stryker

First Grade
We havent got the stones to pull that off.

stryker

First Grade
This is bullshit. You can't just make up a story and paint it as fact when it's not. I put money on it my version is much more accurate.
Everything you have said is conjecture and the words of the jilted party. It is YOU that is making up the story to fit your narrative that the poor old Tigers were hard done by.
You haven’t got money. You are ‘retired poor’ remember?

WA Tiger

Bench
I’m surprised JAC offered to come here in the first place…from Melbourne! Id say 1 Either the process was too hard (believable) 2 The coach scared him off (believable) 3 The $ ??? …..Get Flanno or Bennett onboard give him sole decision making which they will demand imo and it’s unlikely he’d end up at the Bulldogs.

simmo05

Bench
Dont forget Moses too.

Also they did do some underhanded stuff this year with the Brisbane trip, look how that went.
( good miss though )

stryker

First Grade
I don't think it can get much worse apart from a buying spree of average players on overs. Your comment and others about spending the cap are valid.

I don't know what to do to turn the club around. I just don't see sacking Madge as fixing it.
Try a different tact.
What has Madge achieved in 3 years that saves him?
If saved, what can he change next year to stop the rot?
Is your confidence in him or are you fearful of what the next bloke might do?

simmo05

Bench
What about fittler as coach? A dickhead yes, but the players love him, he would have an unorthodox style which suits ours, and the current nsw coach would surely be able to poach a few stars with a huge war chest!