What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
f**k me Haas would be an enormous signing. Imagine getting both him and Chrichton over the line? You'd think we'd be done for rorting the cap in a few years haha

Tigerm

First Grade

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club.

Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon.

The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.
-
Anyone know anything about this kid?

Fordy20

Juniors

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club.

Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon.

The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.
-
Anyone know anything about this kid?
From all reports he’s talented, but his application is lacking, like he doesn’t show the same urgency in positioning like the better fullbacks do.

That being said, fullback is a position that we’ve been skinny in for years ever since the board f**ked up and let Potter go, losing us Teddy and his understudy Papenhuyzen in the process.

Before Laurie was injury, his form has been up and down so when you consider that and the rumours that we’ve been chasing Dykes and Turuva, there is definitely an opportunity for Sloan here if he wants to throw his hat in the ring.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Broncos booing Haas. Writing is on the wall, I doubt he will be there much longer.

Would be nice to reap the rewards of a player pulling a Catterson for once.

Tigerm

First Grade
Just on Lodge, if some club took him on for the rest of this season and next, do they need to negotiate with the Warriors' or Lodge? As his salary is still on the Warriors books, he is still contracted to them, isn't he?

gordsy

Juniors
If I was the Warriors and the owner was feeling nasty you could say he is under contract with us no more rugby or anything like that and warehouse him till the end of next year. If a club wants him they can pay 75% of his contract or more. Not like they will be going places next year anyway.

It sounds like the drums are beating again to do away with Madge, whether it's just a quiet week in the media or there is some truth in that he has lost the full support of the board. I must admit its hard to listen to and support his post match comments given our results, and how the team are performing.

Shredder

Juniors
Here is my view on Madge:

* We show we can compete in games (last week was the first blowout this year).
* We seem to have these fade outs which we have always had. We are notorious for letting the opposition score just before and just after half time. I think this comes down to us having a young squad.
* He's not out there playing the game.

Having said this:
* Its pretty much his squad now
* We have got worse each year

Also, I honestly believe if we had stuck by Potter originally we would be in a better spot than we are now. Not because he's a better coach, but just for some consistency.

With the Dogs and probably the Dragons also looking for a new coach this year, I want us to have our preferred guy contracted before we punt Madge. If not, he's off contract at the end of next year anyway.

We have bought two players for next year and we are in desperate need for back rowers and centers. I don't want a change of coach to disrupt recruitment.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Madge contracts ends at the end of 2023, why not just let him see it out? Papil'i and Api are both coming to the club because of Madge. Hastings came here because of Madge and we may very well be getting Chrichton because of his relationship with Madge.

Madge has stated multiple times that he is playing the long game. Let the man see out his contract and prove that it will pay off. If it doesn't then we simply don't re-sign him.

It's not rocket science ffs

Phil Gould

Juniors
Madge contracts ends at the end of 2023, why not just let him see it out? Papil'i and Api are both coming to the club because of Madge. Hastings came here because of Madge and we may very well be getting Chrichton because of his relationship with Madge.

Madge has stated multiple times that he is playing the long game. Let the man see out his contract and prove that it will pay off. If it doesn't then we simply don't re-sign him.

I can’t imagine they would consider dropping Madge at the moment unless someone needs to throw him under the bus.

The media are a bunch of twats.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors

I'm of the same opinion. There is no coach available that screams out drop Madge & sign me. If bellyache or Robinson were available it'd be a different story. Let Madge finish his contract & then make a judgement halfway through next year depending on results. We either offer him a new contract or say thanks for everything but it's time for a change.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Hmmnn, yeah, bit of a tricky one Jimbo. I guess the only reason would be to give the new coach ( and us fans) one years head start on rebuilding the team etc etc. If we wait until the year after next for a new coach then it will be a couple of years after that before we are a serious chance of finishing 8th. We have waited so long for that to happen I guess two decades is no biggy.

If we finish bottom two or even wooden spooners this year would that make a difference to your thinking?

gordsy

Juniors
It's clear Madge doesn't enjoy great support at board level or this talk would have been squashed ages ago.
What is less clear is why board members don't like him and what's the point of this review ?

If we get rid of him that' fine but doing it now just writes off our season and give the players an excuse to be even more pea hearted. Player issues have existed through the tenures of Sheens, Cleary, Potter, Taylor and Made. But sure Madge is the only reason we suck.

Also if we do spear Madge what makes you so sure this shit won't happen again to the next coach. By all means piss Madge off after next year but fix all the other shit as well . Find and fire the leakers and stop this side stepping and cowardice by the board.

Besides there's not many coaches in the nrl who have enjoyed success with a shit roster. Bellamy has never done it, Robbo is struggling with a team we would kill for, Cleary is looking good because his roster is so much better than the one he had with us.
Given all that why are we going to make the top four with a new coach and no other changes.

Last edited:

Phil Gould

Juniors
I guess after a long enough period without success the coach will always come into the crosshairs, even if it’s just to make some suit feel like they’re important.

I think when a coach is the problem it shows because the team tanks. I don’t see that right now. Last week was a grudge match during indigenous round, the bunnies were pumped. The week before was against a QL team during magic round. I feel like the stars just aren’t aligning for the tigers at the moment. If they sack Madge now and then things start going our way it will be all praise the new coach. I don’t really pay any attention to the media but I’m sure they’re calling for his head as well.
Under the microscope, we have passed the half way mark for the season and the team is well below par. I’m hoping they give Madge his full tenure to give results, or at least a half dozen into next year. Even just a couple more games out of respect this year wouldn’t hurt. Give him one last roll of the dice to try get a roll going with what he has started to build. Anything less would feel premature but who knows what Mr Sheens has in store?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Yeah it would be hard for any coach with this squad but will the playing roster improve over all if we keep Madge?
By the way it is my understanding Sheens has very little power when it comes to who will be the coach.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yeah it would be hard for any coach with this squad but will the playing roster improve over all if we keep Madge?
By the way it is my understanding Sheens has very little power when it comes to who will be the coach.
Can’t think of another occupation where for 3.5 yrs u continually slide into a deeper abyss & the person the buck stops with being the coach retains his job.Objectively speaking he shouldve been sacked a year ago however I’d b surprised if he isn’t at concord until the end of this season.Because we have buckleys of making the 8 u would have to think that Maguire will definitely cease to b the coach beyond end of this season.

Latest posts