What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
Wests Tigers recruitment:
- Who is the biggest names available? Let's throw cash at them regardless of their form or whether that position is needed.

Tigers will keep cycling between coaches unless they address their key issue, which is their recruitment strategy.

Personally I think this is the issue but I'd add retention as well. We don't tend to get good deals or outputs from our juniors. Whenever a player comes good they test the market for maximum market value.

You need to build/develop a squad that can win the comp.

Then you need a good coach.

Hopefully the BS terminology of a development coach means the club is looking at producing or poaching a lot of talent from lower grades and then when you lose players you have other players to slot into the team. You can also sign players but you need to only get players that are going to improve our squad.

I reckon Api and IP are two awesome signings.

Tiger05

First Grade
To be fair, the ones with talent and ability, probably don't want to come here?

We need to get a few by paying overs to come here, I just don't see any other way at this time?

You just need to pick the right player at the right time. Api and IP are class and there is no way we've overpaid them. We just offered them more than their current clubs.

I think we need to be really smart in recruitment and upgrade and retain the right juniors.

I just can't see us improving though unless we bring in a good crop of juniors.

Frailty

First Grade
Personally I think this is the issue but I'd add retention as well. We don't tend to get good deals or outputs from our juniors. Whenever a player comes good they test the market for maximum market value.

You need to build/develop a squad that can win the comp.

Then you need a good coach.

Hopefully the BS terminology of a development coach means the club is looking at producing or poaching a lot of talent from lower grades and then when you lose players you have other players to slot into the team. You can also sign players but you need to only get players that are going to improve our squad.

I reckon Api and IP are two awesome signings.

I think the two are heavily related. Young player comes through and looks promising, but decides to test the market because of salary cap pressures caused by bad contracts and because of lack of on-field success that can be attributed to poor recruitment.

Being a Sharks fan, I can talk from a bit of first hand experience following the Ricky Stuart tenure (and subsequent peptide issues, etc.). Sharks started to recruit with a proper plan in place. They looked for value players, leadership players who weren't passed it, and it wasn't until post-grand final that the Sharks made some poor recruitment choices (i.e. Moylan, etc.). The money they spent were in key positions of people with good track records of (Maloney, Ennis), they found value experienced players (Gibbs, Prior, Barba), and strong leaders with plenty of legs left (Lewis). This allowed young players like Holmes, Bird, etc. to come through with a solid foundation.

There is definitely an element of luck that's needed, but keep the solid philosophy and it will pay over time. Tigers should be better with Koroisau, but I still worry about his impact without the go forward around him, or the halves to take advantage.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think the two are heavily related. Young player comes through and looks promising, but decides to test the market because of salary cap pressures caused by bad contracts and because of lack of on-field success that can be attributed to poor recruitment.

I agree. Paying overs screws you over because the juniors want top dollar and you can't adjust because you are under pressure.

There is definitely an element of luck that's needed, but keep the solid philosophy and it will pay over time.

This is what we need to do.

I think the Sharks really screwed up with signing Finucane. I think he could be a club killer.

Frailty

First Grade
I agree. Paying overs screws you over because the juniors want top dollar and you can't adjust because you are under pressure.

This is what we need to do.

I think the Sharks really screwed up with signing Finucane. I think he could be a club killer.
The length could definitely be an issue, but I actually like the signing for the most part for the Sharks. Sharks are at a period where they are replenishing their middle forward roster. Hamlin-Uele and Hunt are still relatively inexperienced, and Fifita-Tolman are well past their best (I'd argue Tolman's best was never great tbh). Finucane is the player that will provide leadership and instill much needed example of how to play. He brings much needed line speed to the defensive line - which has seen the Sharks cut down about 5 points per game less than they were allowing last season.

Add to that Graham starting the season injured, Sharks needed leadership in the forwards. Finucane and McInnes bring that.

Phil Gould

Juniors
The Tigers will try to make Moses the highest paid player of all time because…he used to play with Brooks when he was good in juniors?

simmo05

Bench
Nearly everyone who’s been sacked is back, so why not Moses?

Tigers powerbrokers push to bring golden boy home as key contract calls loom​

Now that will make me sick. The coaching debacle I can handle, but to even consider bringing back a piece of shit who deliberately lost games is something else. I would not watch a game while he is on the field.

Hopefully it's just 4d chess to drive his price up

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Now that will make me sick. The coaching debacle I can handle, but to even consider bringing back a piece of shit who deliberately lost games is something else. I would not watch a game while he is on the field.

Hopefully it's just 4d chess to drive his price up
This will probably make you feel worse

Parramatta Eels star Isaiah Papali’i preparing to turn back on $1.9m Wests Tigers contract​

Billed as a club changing signature for Wests Tigers, Isaiah Papali’i is preparing to turn his back on the club over the unrest that has rocked them this season.

David Riccio David Riccio
Follow

@DaveRic1

2 min read
July 12, 2022 - 1:52PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../343990c9de2268e16e1c2f5956eef6fb#share-tools

Wests Tigers star recruit Isaiah Papali’i is having cold feet about joining the club next season in the wake of Michael Maguire’s axing.
The Eels back-rower has been billed as a club changing signature for the struggling Tigers after Papali’i agreed to a three year deal worth about $1.9million last November.
But Papali’i has told those close to him he is now having second thoughts about making the move and would like to remain at the Eels.
Papali’i was close with Maguire and reunited with the former Tigers coach in the Kiwis camp last week.
Uncertainty over who will coach the Tigers has led to Papali’i growing increasing apprehensive about making the move.
While Tim Sheens is expected to take over as head coach, it’s uncertain whether that will be enough to satisfy Papali’i.

Isaiah Papali'i is preparing to turn his back on Wests Tigers. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty

Isaiah Papali'i is preparing to turn his back on Wests Tigers. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty
The Wests Tigers were contacted by The Daily Telegraph last month about Papali’i’s concerns. They said in their most recent dialogue he had remained committed to the club.
Papali’i does have a relationship with Tigers assistant coaches Ben Gardiner and Nathan Cayless from time spent working together within the Kiwis squad.
No official release has been requested by Papali’i, but he has made it clear to friends and family that he is loath to join the Tigers.
The Eels are also aware and have the salary cap space to retain him.
The Tigers will feel frustrated by the issue going public, but it is one that has been developing for several months.
The Tigers will rightfully stand their ground on the deal.
Isaiah Papali'i (centre) with Eels teammates. Picture: Jonathan Ng

A player-swap from Parramatta could develop into a potential solution.
In February, Papali’i and fellow departing Eel Marata Niukore defended the NRL’s current transfer system that allowed them to sign with rivals 12 months out.
The Tigers can’t afford to entertain releasing Papali’i after losing a host back-rowers including Luke Garner (Penrith), Luciano Leilua (Cowboys) and Kelma Tuilagi (Manly).
The Tigers are banking on Papali’i and NSW hooker Api Koroisau to help turn the club’s fortunes around next season.

The reigning Dally M has played 102 top grade games since making his debut for the Warriors in 2017. He has established himself as one of the game’s most damaging forwards after joining the Eels on a cut-price deal last season.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The news keeps getting better.Re the abundant rumours associated with WT it won’t surprise if this one has legs.Also wouldn’t surprise me if the pathetic impostor Maguire has influenced him to turn his back on WT.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Parramatta Eels star Isaiah Papali’i preparing to turn back on $1.9m Wests Tigers contract​

Billed as a club changing signature for Wests Tigers, Isaiah Papali’i is preparing to turn his back on the club over the unrest that has rocked them this season.

Follow
@DaveRic1

2 min read
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../343990c9de2268e16e1c2f5956eef6fb#share-tools

Wests Tigers star recruit Isaiah Papali’i is having cold feet about joining the club next season in the wake of Michael Maguire’s axing.
The Eels back-rower has been billed as a club changing signature for the struggling Tigers after Papali’i agreed to a three year deal worth about $1.9million last November.
But Papali’i has told those close to him he is now having second thoughts about making the move and would like to remain at the Eels.
Papali’i was close with Maguire and reunited with the former Tigers coach in the Kiwis camp last week.
Uncertainty over who will coach the Tigers has led to Papali’i growing increasing apprehensive about making the move.
While Tim Sheens is expected to take over as head coach, it’s uncertain whether that will be enough to satisfy Papali’i.

Isaiah Papali'i is preparing to turn his back on Wests Tigers. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty'i is preparing to turn his back on Wests Tigers. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty

The Wests Tigers were contacted by The Daily Telegraph last month about Papali’i’s concerns. They said in their most recent dialogue he had remained committed to the club.
Papali’i does have a relationship with Tigers assistant coaches Ben Gardiner and Nathan Cayless from time spent working together within the Kiwis squad.
No official release has been requested by Papali’i, but he has made it clear to friends and family that he is loath to join the Tigers.
The Tigers will feel frustrated by the issue going public, but it is one that has been developing for several months.
Isaiah Papali'i (centre) with Eels teammates. Picture: Jonathan Ng'i (centre) with Eels teammates. Picture: Jonathan Ng

In February, Papali’i and fellow departing Eel Marata Niukore defended the NRL’s current transfer system that allowed them to sign with rivals 12 months out.
The Tigers can’t afford to entertain releasing Papali’i after losing a host back-rowers including Luke Garner (Penrith), Luciano Leilua (Cowboys) and Kelma Tuilagi (Manly).
The Tigers are banking on Papali’i and NSW hooker Api Koroisau to help turn the club’s fortunes around next season.

The reigning Dally M has played 102 top grade games since making his debut for the Warriors in 2017. He has established himself as one of the game’s most damaging forwards after joining the Eels on a cut-price deal last season.
It's started.
Stand bye for our roster to be even weaker next year than now.
Congrats to the decision makers at Wests Tigers that never cease to amaze when it comes to stuffing this club up.

Tigerm

First Grade
The news keeps getting better.Re the abundant rumours associated with WT it won’t surprise if this one has legs.Also wouldn’t surprise me if the pathetic impostor Maguire has influenced him to turn his back on WT.
He is not the first player to sign with a club to play under a certain coach, the club would’ve/should’ve known this long before they sacked Madge and should’ve had the contract arranged accordingly.
If in fact it’s true?

WA Tiger

Bench

Follow
@DaveRic1

2 min read

Isaiah Papali'i is preparing to turn his back on Wests Tigers. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty'i is preparing to turn his back on Wests Tigers. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty

Isaiah Papali'i (centre) with Eels teammates. Picture: Jonathan Ng'i (centre) with Eels teammates. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Of course getting Flanagan on board from the start would have avoided all this!! But no too Balsey for Pascoe.. He needs a coach that needs him and wants to come to his place for lunch so they can be friends

Hoofhearted

Juniors
From the SMH

Why the Wests Tigers think they’ve salvaged the Isaiah Papali’i deal​

By Michael Chammas and Danny Weidler

July 12, 2022 — 2.49pm

The Wests Tigers have held a meeting with star recruit Isaiah Papali’i in a desperate plea to avoid an ugly standoff over his services for next season.
The Parramatta back-rower has agreed to a three-year deal with the Tigers from 2023, but has been having second thoughts about his decision.

Papali’i has told those close to him that he wants to remain at the Eels next year. Sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed to the Herald that Papali’i met with Tigers management a fortnight ago to raise his concerns.
They took him on a tour of the club’s centre of excellence in Concord, which is nearing completion, to show him what he could look forward to.

As of Tuesday morning, a Tigers official told the Herald that it had been indicated to them that Papali’i would honour his deal.
Papali’i has not requested a release. The meeting was arranged to seek clarity about the future of the club given the uncertainty surrounding the next coach.
Isaiah Papali’i in action against the Wests Tigers earlier in the year.

Parramatta missed out on the back-rower’s signature after offering an underwhelming extension proposal late last year.
Parramatta were willing to upgrade his 2022 contract, which is worth $200,000, to about $275,000. They also offered him a two-year extension on top worth around $425,000 a season.

The Eels later increased that offer but Papali’i had already accepted the Tigers’ offer of a three-year deal worth in excess of $1.8m.
Having missed out on the services of Reed Mahoney, Oregon Kaufusi and Marata Niukore, the Eels have the salary cap space to keep him at the club. They’ve also granted Nathan Brown permission to talk to rival clubs about an immediate release. The Eels declined to comment when contacted.
It is understood Papali’i is citing the sacking of Michael Maguire as the reason for his change of heart.
He is also concerned about whether assitant coaches Nathan Cayless and Ben Gardiner, who he previously formed a bond with in Kiwi camp, will both be at the club next year as per the arrangement when he signed.

The Tigers have asked him to give the club more time to sort out its future before making his next move.
Fellow recruit Api Koroisau has indicated to Tigers officials that he has no such concerns and will honour his deal with the club from next season.
More to come

Latest posts