What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Super coach question. Who do you guys think will be your goal kicker this year. Doueihi kicked goals in the first games that I saw him play for Souths. Mbye kicked goals when he first came to your club. I have heard that Maguire plans to play Mbye hooker this year. If Doueihi gets the goal kicking duties he will probably be worth having in the team to begin with.

BTW I think Doueihi will make a good 5/8 for you guys nest year and beyond.

I also think Luciano Leilua will go well, but I think his future lies in the middle, but I hear that Maguire plans to play him on the edge.

I also think Joey Leilua is a very good pick up. On his day he is one of the most dangerous centres in the game.

SMH said yesterday Douiehi will goal kick

The Rosco

Bench
Ooooh, I don't know if that's such a good idea.
You see, willy old dog said that Douehi has the worst GK stats in the league. Allegedly. From what I've been told.
So, serious question . . . . who do we trust ?
Madge, an NRL winning first grade coach . . . OR willy old dog, a souffs fan ?
Willy does seem to know his stuff, ekspecially about souffs players. His views on recruitment decisions are simply pottery in motion. And he does like an emoji.
Madge needs to know about AD before he makes a mistake.

Tigerm

First Grade
Ooooh, I don't know if that's such a good idea.
You see, willy old dog said that Douehi has the worst GK stats in the league. Allegedly. From what I've been told.
So, serious question . . . . who do we trust ?
Madge, an NRL winning first grade coach . . . OR willy old dog, a souffs fan ?
Willy does seem to know his stuff, ekspecially about souffs players. His views on recruitment decisions are simply pottery in motion. And he does like an emoji.
Madge needs to know about AD before he makes a mistake.
I am glad we have Madge, but I can't help but think he did cost us dearly by persisting with Marsters for most of the year and we lost a few games because of his bad kicking? So it could be a very important decision.

WT Unity

Juniors
Out of all the improvements to the 2020 roster this is thing that worries me the most - GOAL KICKING!
It's been a problem for us for a few years now and I'm still concerned for 2020. It's a big ask for Doueihi to come in take over the kicking duties, a job he would not have done much of for quite a few seasons.
I wonder how good of a kicker he was back in junior days?

Phil Gould

Juniors
Most training pics seem to have BJ and Talau in the centre’s, so unless it’s just smoke and mirrors it looks like he’ll be playing 9

Or maybe the new guy from Melbourne in 9, Mbye as a bench utility?
Just a season ending injury, not a career ending one!

But okay that's a bit harsh. What I then instead wish is that someone pulls his pants down and gives him a smack on the bum. In front of everyone on live TV. That would be funny

Or maybe WT just quietly smack Parra at their shiny new stadium?

Tiger05

First Grade
Most training pics seem to have BJ and Talau in the centre’s, so unless it’s just smoke and mirrors it looks like he’ll be playing 9

Maybe they will play him off the bench. I reckon he makes the team for sure. I'd play him at left centre but who knows where he will play. I think we've picked up the Melbourne hooker and based on that I wouldn't play Mbye at 9. I'd be all in on that young kid and see if he can play 80 minutes. We don't have to bring him on slowly. It also allows Reynolds a shot off the bench and I figure give him a go because he is costing us so much money.

WA Tiger

Bench
I am glad we have Madge, but I can't help but think he did cost us dearly by persisting with Marsters for most of the year and we lost a few games because of his bad kicking? So it could be a very important decision.
Yes ..Either Madge didnt want the captain kicking or the captains didnt want the added responsibility ...or Marsters was the only one outside Benji and Mbye to want to kick or Masters may have said to Madge just one more week boss..or they only realised it would be an issue when it was too late .Either way yes it did cost us dearly.. ..Let’s hope AD can kick..Whose the captain whose the kicker? Good question...My prediction Mbye captain for the first bit and AD kicks ...if AD fails which isn’t likely Mbye kicks and hopefully by then ADs captain...From his interview re captaincy AD looks like he could be scary enough if needed but in a controlled way and as important he will set an example on the field with training etc From how I interpreted the interview he exudes authority

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors

I think that was certainly the plan until the swap with Momo and Grant. Grant will not be coming here to play reserve grade, we couldn't be stupid enough to swap a certain starter and goal kicker for a reserve grader....could we?

Tigers Tale

Juniors

Have to agree. I thought Marsters confidence was shot early in the season and kicking just added to it. I really think his whole season was affected by the pressure of kicking goals...anyway, no longer our problem.

Tigerm

First Grade
Have to agree. I thought Marsters confidence was shot early in the season and kicking just added to it. I really think his whole season was affected by the pressure of kicking goals...anyway, no longer our problem.
Yep, though who will be the kicker? We just got the team right and we give ours away.
Just have to score them all under the posts:)

Tigers Tale

Juniors
LOL...whenever we scored I'd be screaming to take the ball round closer to the posts. Anything slightly off centre was a 50/50 gamble with Marsters and anything from the sideline was a certain miss.

I am guessing Mbye and AD will be the kickers this year and geezus I hope they have been practicing as they need to turn 4 into 6 this year if we hope to make the 8. Too many close losses last year cost us, can't do that this year.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Thank mate. He is now in my supercoach team. His stats weren't very good last year, but I am hoping he will adapt to the fullback role and the kicking duties should add an extra 10 points or so on average. I would be more confident about him if he was playing 5/8. Some think that he is on overs, but I think he will develop into a very good 5/8 and you guys may have infact got yourselves a bargain at 625K a year over 4 years. He could even be future captain material.

I actually think Souths should have kept Doueihi and played him halfback and let Adam Over Rated Reynolds go. Right now Walker is the focal point of their attack. Doueihi would have given them another dimension in attack.

Last edited:
Douiehi kicked goals at 100% last season
Just looked at the stats BrotherJim, you are 100% correct.

I hope he, Mybe and every other player keeps on practicing their goal kicking because they, the team, are going to need it.

PS: I have always thought that any winger coming through the juniors has to practice their goal kicking just to make that difference needed to make the team e.g. Nofoaluma isn't a bad winger, is a good finisher, defence his very suspect, runs sideways too much but all would be forgiven if he kicked at 85% +

Tigerm

First Grade
Just looked at the stats BrotherJim, you are 100% correct.

I hope he, Mybe and every other player keeps on practicing their goal kicking because they, the team, are going to need it.

PS: I have always thought that any winger coming through the juniors has to practice their goal kicking just to make that difference needed to make the team e.g. Nofoaluma isn't a bad winger, is a good finisher, defence his very suspect, runs sideways too much but all would be forgiven if he kicked at 85% +

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/02/ranking-every-clubs-goal-kicking-stocks/

NRL stats for all teams GK's, we are 16th.

16. Wests Tigers
  • Moses Mbye: 111/159, 69.8%
  • Adam Doueihi: 10/16, 62.5%
  • Benji Marshall: 402/565, 71.2%
The Tigers had the worst goal-kicking record of any club in 2019 and things aren't exactly looking up, with both first-choice kickers – Esan Marsters and Paul Momirovski – departing. Mbye kicked above his career record with 10 from 13 (77%) in limited chances last year and should be the one to step up. Marshall has kicked plenty in his career but has not taken a shot in seven years, meaning Doueihi is more likely to be the back-up.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I see Wighton from the Raiders is still not signed, Though they are soon to do so.

I would have had him in our side, he seems a gun player (though I only really seen him in the GF).

Latest posts