What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Yep.

And the thing about stats is they are important but it’s the little things that are missed, like point 3 above. Stats don’t show how hard someone runs, are they out wide, up the middle and does a player go missing for the rest of the set. The hurt in the tackle, first in a tackle and locking up the ball is also missed. Aloiai, won’t be missed IMO.

One other thing is SOO, Queensland don’t typically pick duds. To represent Queensland is massive.

Soo 3 2020.

One of the best coaching efforts of all time.

A team featuring a considerable number of muppets, showed Freddie’s favourites up.

It was humiliating.

My Corey Allan took a risk and it paid off.

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
What period are those stats for? Are they just season 2020 stats?
2020 only.

Its fair to say that Joe O is on the decline and Josh A is on the improve. Aloiai was carrying a hand injury for at last a couple of seasons. There were complications and he got surgery last off season to correct it.

If you charted over a longer period I think they would level off?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Yep.

And the thing about stats is they are important but it’s the little things that are missed, like point 3 above. Stats don’t show how hard someone runs, are they out wide, up the middle and does a player go missing for the rest of the set. The hurt in the tackle, first in a tackle and locking up the ball is also missed. Aloiai, won’t be missed IMO.

One other thing is SOO, Queensland don’t typically pick duds. To represent Queensland is massive.

To an extent yes but a run is a run. A tackle is a tackle. it is subjective but there is some value in reviewing the stats.

I don't think we can say with confidence what will happen with Aloiai but I would say he won't be missed at what Manly are thought to be paying him. Wasnt it Bennett who said not to pay more than $400k for a front rower?

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't think we can say with confidence what will happen with Aloiai but I would say he won't be missed at what Manly are thought to be paying him.

This is the only reason this isn't as big an issue as it could be. The contract sounds a lot of money. Still the contract for Joe O sounds inflated. There is a reason Kevie wants him off his books.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yep.

True re Qld not picking duds with the exception being the useless peaheart Mbye in ‘19 & unsurprisingly he contributed greatly to the NSW victory in 3rd origin

gordsy

Juniors
What are we getting for Josh Aloai. It better be good because didn't big bad Lee say he would be mowing lawns as opposed to going else where. Ever seen Uncle Nick mouth off like that,,,,

Tiger05

First Grade
What are we getting for Josh Aloai. It better be good because didn't big bad Lee say he would be mowing lawns as opposed to going else where. Ever seen Uncle Nick mouth off like that,,,,

My understanding is we get nothing.

Tigerm

First Grade
The way I see it is, we have 2 players to get, the first signing will be with JA money, so he will be what we got. Hope it’s a goodun.

Honestly guys stats are so misleading it’s not funny

How many times do props get a ball 3ms out from the line to burn a play and set up for the next one?

If a guy has to do that 3 times a game how different will his meters look compared to a guy who got to take the ball up from the kick off 3 times?

Yeah, I’ve wondered a lot about official stats because there always seems to be good players who never reach top 10 etc.

Nofo had a huge year in a factory squad, so his good stats mean more, because his service and opportunity was less than that available to other wingers.

There are also a lot of variables such as the side you are playing with and the odd “blow out” score line.

Stepping around opposing players from x metres would be a good stat, double pump cut outs to open runner, fullbacks catching bombs and positional acumen etc.

Maybe other panelists have some ideas.

I posted Roberts ripping around and through 6 rooster defenders the other day. If we can keep him on, he will make a massive impact. I’ve always liked him as a player. He has the X factor.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Not sure how you can say Joe O is better than Aloiai

Joe O stats from NRL.com

Running Metres
Average Running Metres
Total Running Metres
Defence
Tackles Made

Tackle Efficiency 87.9%

Aloiai stats

Running Metres
Average Running Metres
Total Running Metres

Defence
Tackles Made
Tackle Efficiency
94.2%

Stats can be a bit misleading, but you could argue this is testament to Madge being able to get the stats from what was a fringe first grader above an origin forward. Or vice versa.

Could be a case that Ofa knows how good he is but needs a coach to whip him into shape with hard discipline (some people respond better to the military-style coaching than the lovey dovey coddling)

The other telling factor in player performance is chronic injuries.

And some of these flare up and never settle.

Thus we don’t see Michael Morgan featuring anymore. Big shame and he’s on big money.

And he’s one of many out there.

As a recruiter ( the intern!) I’d want to see all the medical records of prospective players and get a doc to examine them.

That would include brain scans if available.

That young kid dying was ordinary, if it was game or training related, a massive wake up call. No stone left unturned to resolve it, no one should die or be paralysed etc playing rugby league. Its horrific.

We need to be hyper vigilant about the internal damage. I’m not talking about the odd brawl where no one gets seriously hurt. They rarely result in anything more than bruised egos and allegations of cowardice from fans.

Let’s face it, it’s good optics to see a Nathan Brown type get a light-on blow to the head. Much better than bj and his imbecilic coat hanger. Mind you, if he’d really meant to hurt Edwards -Edwards wouldn’t have got up. Bj is very big, strong and powerful.

That was almost the mug act for the season for mine. Total shutting down of brain cells!

As the panel know, Edwards refused to help In the prosecution of BJ. Old school ethics, the young bloke is a f**king legend. Is entitled to the odd smugging out, I won’t hear a bad word said of him.

Snitches suck. It’s un-Australian. Like those cretins who film players being dumb and wreck their careers.
They should be made to do a walk of shame at the gf.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
This deal with Joe could still fall through. Walters has said he wants Ofa to stay and Lodge signing with the Warriors could make the space for that to happen.

WA Tiger

Bench
Nofo had a huge year in a factory squad, so his good stats mean more, because his service and opportunity was less than that available to other wingers.
Nofos service will likely be less next year without Benji.
His tackle breaks stats may be similar but the cream of “try's”stats are less likely to be as standout as this year.

Last edited:
His service will likely be less next year without Benji.
His tackle breaks stats may be similar but the cream of try's less likely to be as standout as this year.

D7C19609-5AE1-4773-AC5E-9704C5C4E4E5.jpeg

37D7E914-C779-4D79-AF78-DDF853C5795A.jpeg

Good comparison there WA, theres a certain spiritual symmetry between them.

James will like playing for a club whose fans respect and look up to him.

I’m really looking forward to encouraging and supporting him at games.

He’s got a mean physique on him, naturally built for both power and speed. Likes to dominate.

We’ve been a bit low on grub factor lately. Bj isn’t grub, just stupid. There’s a difference.

If you refine your grub and play the odd cat, you can end up in soo like Nathan Brown. He’s got a fun game in him. He’s stock as stock, but hes a thinker and an entrepreneur of players. Thus his overall game lifts markedly. Players are unnecessarily intimidated by him. He’s done really well to put that doubt into people. It’s a rare view, but I like his make believe gamesmanship. He survives as an elite on his wits. Lol. Good luck to him.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I don’t see the grub in Roberts...He’s a determined runner and punches above his weight ...It’s hard to not watch him when he gets the ball ...much more so than JAC imo ..He will be a breath of fresh air for our backline ...If he stays off the grog which Im assuming he’s told Pascoe he has been then I doubt there will have been a more impactful outside back that’s played for WT

Last edited:

redVinme

Juniors
Casual observer because Ofa was rumoured to have been chased by the dragons. He did play some back row this year so metres per game would be skewed to what JA produced. Same with tackle efficiency defending wider. That said don't see anything out of the ordinary. Good player, not great.

Not sad we missed him. Would much prefer another 3 journeymen :expressionless:

But don't worry

Latest posts