What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
Experts like Rhyno know what they talking about.
I went to school with Hayne, Inu and Folau and was considered the best of the lot before injuries and than giving away footy and getting into the family business that pays a lot more than nrl salaries
I think you are having an outer body experience, that’s the drugs, but don’t worry, it will pass.

Wizardman

First Grade
I think they got it right for him, I reckon he has gone backwards (can’t keep blaming everyone else) and if he doesn’t turn it around this season, he will probably be shopped at the end of the year.
The saddest thing about Luke Brooks is despite all the years and cash we have given him, by far and away his best game was his debut. If it wasn't for that game, I have no doubt he'd be elsewhere by now. He showed EVERYTHING in that game.
He has a f**ked kicking game and f**k all composure. These new rules should have suited Brooks to a tee. Extremely disappointing....we absolutely need to shop him out if he fails again.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
The saddest thing about Luke Brooks is despite all the years and cash we have given him, by far and away his best game was his debut.

This gets thrown around a lot, probably to belittle the kid. He has definitely had more than a few games that are superior to his debut but people like to use that argument when bashing brooks career at the tigers.

Maybe if players pushed up and supported him in attack instead of just standing there waiting for the next play he wouldn't look like a headless chook.

He is literally the best defensive half in the comp. Compared to NSW half N Cleary he has the same tackle efficiency and missed tackles in a much inferior side.

Am reasonably confident he will have a belter of a season, he has all the right tools, links with Liddle well, no Benji overcalling him, genuine pace in the backline now with Jet (and Laurie if we get him) and probably the best forward pack we have had in years

if you watch last year you see him throw his hands up on more than a few occasions when the ball goes Benjis side out of frustration

I'd say goal kicking has played a part just as much with us not making the 8. How many close games have we lost over the years just because of it?

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
This gets thrown around a lot, probably to belittle the kid. He has definitely had more than a few games that are superior to his debut but people like to use that argument when bashing brooks career at the tigers.

Maybe if players pushed up and supported him in attack instead of just standing there waiting for the next play he wouldn't look like a headless chook.

He is literally the best defensive half in the comp. Compared to NSW half N Cleary he has the same tackle efficiency and missed tackles in a much inferior side.

Am reasonably confident he will have a belter of a season, he has all the right tools, links with Liddle well, no Benji overcalling him, genuine pace in the backline now with Jet (and Laurie if we get him) and probably the best forward pack we have had in years

if you watch last year you see him throw his hands up on more than a few occasions when the ball goes Benjis side out of frustration

I'd say goal kicking has played a part just as much with us not making the 8. How many close games have we lost over the years just because of it?
Certainly agree with goal kicking and that he is a good defender.

But you can’t keep blaming everyone else for his poor attacking mode, he has been here for 7 seasons, if others are overriding him or not reacting to his calls or plays, then he needs to do something about it. It his career after all.

But it is poor that after all this time we are still hoping he steps up, we need him.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Certainly agree with goal kicking and that he is a good defender.

But you can’t keep blaming everyone else for his poor attacking mode, he has been here for 7 seasons, if others are overriding him or not reacting to his calls or plays, then he needs to do something about it. It his career after all.

But it is poor that after all this time we are still hoping he steps up, we need him.

Benjis ego would be an imposing figure not just to Brooks but anyone that plays along side him. I’m sure the ball would go to him more often than not even if it wasn’t Brooks beside him.

Why did Brooks play with more freedom when Benji was out of the team last year?

Benji and Robbie are my all time favourite tigers players but this has been a pretty positive off season, and neither have anything to do with the club apart from Robbie coming in once or twice a week doing some coaching. That’s why I think Brooks will have a stellar season.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Benjis ego would be an imposing figure not just to Brooks but anyone that plays along side him. I’m sure the ball would go to him more often than not even if it wasn’t Brooks beside him.

Why did Brooks play with more freedom when Benji was out of the team last year?

Benji and Robbie are my all time favourite tigers players but this has been a pretty positive off season, and neither have anything to do with the club apart from Robbie coming in once or twice a week doing some coaching. That’s why I think Brooks will have a stellar season.
You are probably right about both Farah and Marshal, but perhaps it was happening (the coach can see what’s happening) because Brooks wasn’t delivering?

Look, I like everyone else, hope he steps up this year, but all I am saying is, that I think he is out of excuses. He’s no longer the new kid on the block.

Anyway, we will see and hope.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
You are probably right about both Farah and Marshal, but perhaps it was happening (the coach can see what’s happening) because Brooks wasn’t delivering?

Look, I like everyone else, hope he steps up this year, but all I am saying is, that I think he is out of excuses. He’s no longer the new kid on the block.

Anyway, we will see and hope.

I agree that this year is deliver top 8 or bust. Just stating my case why I think he will bring back his 2018 form

I also don’t think Joey johns would have helped steer our team into finals footy with some of the line ups we’ve dished up

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree that this year is deliver top 8 or bust. Just stating my case why I think he will bring back his 2018 form

I also don’t think Joey johns would have helped steer our team into finals footy with some of the line ups we’ve dished up
Except he was a pretty good goal kicker and we lost a few games by a couple of points but I understand your point

Wizardman

First Grade
It is bloody hard for a half to go well behind a beaten pack and we have been beaten more than dominated. In saying that, Brooks has not delivered in times when the game is on the line unlike Benji.

I do have a gut feel that he needs a change of clubs and would be a success if he did so. I won't lie...it would hurt to see him succeed elsewhere after the very long time he has had here.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
It is bloody hard for a half to go well behind a beaten pack and we have been beaten more than dominated. In saying that, Brooks has not delivered in times when the game is on the line unlike Benji.

I do have a gut feel that he needs a change of clubs and would be a success if he did so. I won't lie...it would hurt to see him succeed elsewhere after the very long time he has had here.

And to be fair there is not that many quality halves in the nrl ... yet alone a premiership winning one that is off contract.

Edit: the only half decent one available was supposedly Mitch Pearce but he’s way past his best

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
And to be fair there is not that many quality halves in the nrl ... yet alone a premiership winning one that is off contract.

Edit: the only half decent one available was supposedly Mitch Pearce but he’s way past his best

This is my main point with Brooks. He isn't a great half or even close to it. He isn't anywhere near the bottom of the barrel in this comp though. I'd rather Brooks over Pearce.

The Rosco

Bench
Experts like Rhyno know what they talking about.
I went to school with Hayne, Inu and Folau and was considered the best of the lot before injuries and than giving away footy and getting into the family business that pays a lot more than nrl salaries
. . . so, let me make sure I've got this straight.
You are a better player than Hayne, Inu and Folau ?
Yup.
Once, Jamie Lee Curtis and Elle MacPherson both wanted to give me a soap rub bath with their bare titties, but I felt a bit off colour that day and turned them down.

WA Tiger

Bench
You can hope a half comes good only if u see him do the things a half is expected to do, now and again, even once ...( then if he stops doing them then u know, ok somethings up eg mental health, Big bad Benji or it’s a full moon tonight.) ....For example 1. Seeing a play where creating an extra man is on , doing that and then putting the player through the gap. 2. Another one is being able to confuse the opposition by having the option of passing long or short - These are minimum requirements for an effective half..

That’s the mental calculation - to see it and then execute..

If u see it done at least once Then u can rationally say, yes he has done it before. Its just because Benjis been there to overpower his poor little Brooksy brain that he hasn’t, or whatever ..I didn’t see Brooks perform iether of the above mentioned plays even once last year. even when Benji wasn’t playing..In fact I can’t remember seeing Brooks pulling either of these moves off.
If there was an option to pass long or short Brooks could only ever pass short (who else has that limitation)
Also the ability to decide if a gap is there to be ran through appears to have forsaken him..I mean hell surely there’s a gap or not a gap right? ..But that doesn’t seem to matter with Brooks he will try to run through a gap that isn’t there anyway even with passing options..

Seriously as a 7 you either have it or you don’t..

I watched that game 7 years ago for the first time a couple of months ago.With all the hype I expected more..
Ive stopped hoping with Brooks. He needed to be gone a long time ago. Sounds like everyone is still believing from that game
Pearce is 20 million times better than Brooks . Also Brooks defence only! isnt going to get us in the top 8 in fact it’ll keep us out and prob has.

A coach with courage would have something else sorted by now..

Last edited:
Rumblings on the Dragons’ forum from a very reliable source (according to them) says McInnes has requested an immediate release to join is for four years. He’s apparently very upset about Mary’s sacking. Lucky we are so stable and kind to our coaches!

Latest posts