What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

simmo05

Bench
Poor bugger. I feel sorry for him. He would have easily played finals football if he played for literally any other club instead of staying loyal to this clusterf**k of a club.

There will be plenty of those to look forward to if we have yet another year where our forwards are in the bottom four for average metres per run.
Eels came first in that stat and Moses still does heaps of them.

BrotherJim05

Bench
It was and remains a mystery.
2018 was the year:
- Cronk changed clubs and left the only culture he ever knew to move to Roosters and lead them to a premiership.
- Cherry Evans played Origin and Test matches despite his club side almost coming last and kicked arse.
- Cleary won an Origin series.
- Reynolds took Souths to the Prelim.

2018 was also the year Luke Brooks couldn’t get a f**ken grubber to stop before the deadball.
It was THE most undeserved award I’ve ever seen and can only be attributed to him being the better performing player in a squad of Gumby merkins. He was shit, just not as shit as normal.

Not often we agree, but hey, times are changing.

I think Brooks was more surprised to get the award than anyone. He was amazing in the games we won comfortably but couldn't stand up in the games we lost (which were enough to not make the 8). A good halfback is consistent, and can apply the coaches game plan no matter the results on the scoreboard.

Thinking that Brooks was better than Cronk in 2018 is simply absurd.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Wests Tigers Stat to Fix: Metres per carry
Author
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 08:00 AM

Wests Tigers battled to dent defences last year and averaged the third-fewest metres per carry (8.8m) as they fell short of breaking their famous finals drought.

A team’s average gain per run proved to be a decent gauge of their overall success in 2020. Parramatta, who finished third, topped this category in the regular season with 9.5m a carry, followed by eventual premiers Melbourne (9.4m) and South Sydney (9.4).

Only 15th-placed Canterbury (8.5m) and 13th-placed Manly (8.6m) were ranked lower than the Tigers, who came 10th on the ladder.

if you didn’t think our forwards are half the issue, I can’t help you anymore

Enlighten me how getting annually spanked by the rorters, raiders etc is Brooks’s fault.

I don't know if those stats necessarily reflect the impact from the forwards. Melbourne and Roosters have backs that will run 200+ metres a game which would definitely skew the results. Would be interesting to see the same stats but only for players playing in forward positions.

stryker

First Grade
Of course you ignore when he won players player at the club back to back because it just doesn’t suit your argument. But but the field was weak. Lol

If you think he has been value for money then you don’t know football.
If he came through most other systems he most probably would have been cut by now.

Tigerm

First Grade
If he came through most other systems he most probably would have been cut by now.
Yep, I think the only thing that saved him recently was our salary cap problems, though Madge did re-sign him for a few more years.

I also think he would make a good 9, but if McInnes comes, then he has no other options, just hope he steps up, but I can’t see it.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I don't know if those stats necessarily reflect the impact from the forwards. Melbourne and Roosters have backs that will run 200+ metres a game which would definitely skew the results. Would be interesting to see the same stats but only for players playing in forward positions.

well considering it’s an article on forward stats per carry, I’m gonna say it definitely does

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors

I’ve been around/played footy long enough to know that no matter how bad your team is going, the halfback will ALWAYS be blamed in every circumstance

Tbh I’m not sure why Madge moved Garner to the other side of the field. In 2019 Brooks and Garner linked pretty well, especially that short outside in run play they did. Goal kicking woes also cost us that year

The bombs are COACH tactical. Every team does it. Our kick chase is just abysmal.

With all that being said...what’s your solution?

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
Eels came first in that stat and Moses still does heaps of them.

That's precisely my point. Eels came first in that stat this season and we came 14th. That's third last. That's not good. It shows there's a big difference in the platform being laid by the Eels forwards and our pack.

This gives Moses time, space and options to work. Until we start seeing similar numbers from our forwards we can't get an accurate gauge on how Brooks is performing.

Tigerm

First Grade
That's precisely my point. Eels came first in that stat this season and we came 14th. That's third last. That's not good. It shows there's a big difference in the platform being laid by the Eels forwards and our pack.

This gives Moses time, space and options to work. Until we start seeing similar numbers from our forwards we can't get an accurate gauge on how Brooks is performing.
We have him for this year at least, hope he goes well, we need him to.

stryker

First Grade
I’ve been around/played footy long enough to know that no matter how bad your team is going, the halfback will ALWAYS be blamed in every circumstance

Tbh I’m not sure why Madge moved Garner to the other side of the field. In 2019 Brooks and Garner linked pretty well, especially that short outside in run play they did. Goal kicking woes also cost us that year

The bombs are COACH tactical. Every team does it. Our kick chase is just abysmal.

With all that being said...what’s your solution?
I was calling from the mountains years ago to swap Moses and Brooks. Mitch at half and Luke at 5/8 changes the whole dynamic of that backline, which at the time included Teddy. Anyway, spilt milk and all that, opportunity missed and chicken shit coaching lost 2 of those guys.
After watching his defence improve I now want Luke tried as the no.9. I believe he would be a Cook/Grant type 9. That requires a halfback replacement and it seems one is available. Irrespective of his rep and recent attitude, I’d chase Pearce. At club level he is still one of the best. He has a lot of big game experience and good or bad, he has been there and done it.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I was calling from the mountains years ago to swap Moses and Brooks. Mitch at half and Luke at 5/8 changes the whole dynamic of that backline, which at the time included Teddy. Anyway, spilt milk and all that, opportunity missed and chicken shit coaching lost 2 of those guys.
After watching his defence improve I now want Luke tried as the no.9. I believe he would be a Cook/Grant type 9. That requires a halfback replacement and it seems one is available. Irrespective of his rep and recent attitude, I’d chase Pearce. At club level he is still one of the best. He has a lot of big game experience and good or bad, he has been there and done it.

Agree on everything you said but just can’t bring myself to signing Junior Pearce. From all reports he is a tool (yes his roosters exit wasn’t pretty) and now the rumblings at Newy are getting louder. Add to that I think his best days are well behind him not ahead of him

I would have liked Burton but the club seems reluctant to unsettle Brooks.

WA Tiger

Bench
Wests Tigers Stat to Fix: Metres per carry
Author
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 08:00 AM

Wests Tigers battled to dent defences last year and averaged the third-fewest metres per carry (8.8m) as they fell short of breaking their famous finals drought.

A team’s average gain per run proved to be a decent gauge of their overall success in 2020. Parramatta, who finished third, topped this category in the regular season with 9.5m a carry, followed by eventual premiers Melbourne (9.4m) and South Sydney (9.4).

Only 15th-placed Canterbury (8.5m) and 13th-placed Manly (8.6m) were ranked lower than the Tigers, who came 10th on the ladder.

if you didn’t think our forwards are half the issue, I can’t help you anymore

Enlighten me how getting annually spanked by the rorters, raiders etc is Brooks’s fault.

I think all your queries have already been answered about Brooks. You want to get your head out of the stats book and back on the field. You keep coming up with all these facts and figures etc and you make it sound like therefore Brooks has had very little opportunities to nail repeat set kicks or whatever else because our forwards dont get us into an attacking position but on the contrary WT have been in the oppositions red zones more times than I could count with all of us on the edge of our seats, yes? for the last 2-3 years with massive amounts of attacking opportunity’s for our halves but the majority of the time Brooks blows it . I know coz I watch him like a hawk and it kills me every time.

I remember that repeat set kick from Brooks against manly on forty 20’s vid and I remember gushing about him at the time but that’s like an 80 year old turning on her garden tap when the washers fked..She will get some water out of it now and again but her garden will eventually die..

The year he won the award Brooks obviously nailed a few of them and with his running game which has gone pear shaped and obviously his defence he was literally at one point in the origin discussion but then when it got to the pointy end (where he usually crumbles) with his repeat set kicks he started kicking too long, too short, into opposition players and you could literally hear his name vanish from the serious origin discussions... ..It was a little bit embarrassing and u just knew the award was a consolation prize...
He reminds me of that movie “ Catch me if U can” starring Leo D. Like how did he get his name on that list?

You just need to watch him closely to know we have a problem with him. There’s maybe a sliver of a chance he may come good but Ive already written my acceptance speech for when you concede over this one next season

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
I have to agree WA in a lot of what you have said. Ill be honest and say im on the fence in regards to Brooks . Probably because ive seen him nail all parts of the game and also because he is like Nofo and is loyal as they come towards the club. BUT yes i see plenty of negatives that have all been mentioned by numerous people here and most of them are very easy to fix with practice and guidance ,however most of the simple things haven't changed but rather deteriorated unfortunately .
Im happy to hope its just a confidence thing and when and IF the team around him fires he will realise his abilities and take his game to where it should be.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
There is arguments to both sides of the spectrum but sometimes the criticism is repetitive and tiresome. At some point maybe you should just bite your tongue and support the kid. Hope for the best.

We are only outsiders looking in with no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

Tigerm

First Grade
There is arguments to both sides of the spectrum but sometimes the criticism is repetitive and tiresome. At some point maybe you should just bite your tongue and support the kid. Hope for the best.

We are only outsiders looking in with no idea what goes on behind closed doors.
Again, I hope he kills it this year, but to say “bite your tongue and support him” well we have been doing that for 7 years.

imo, it’s got nothing to do with what goes on behind closed doors, it’s what he’s showing on the paddock that is the issue.

simmo05

Bench
Has he ever played behind a dominant pack? I think this year we have the goods in the forwards, and this will be the litmus test. If he f**ks it, see ya later. But without benchie there, I reckon he will kill it.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Again, I hope he kills it this year, but to say “bite your tongue and support him” well we have been doing that for 7 years.

imo, it’s got nothing to do with what goes on behind closed doors, it’s what he’s showing on the paddock that is the issue.

I reckon 2020 was his most disappointing year by far.

Anyways I've said my part, I believe he will kill it this year and make all of us eat our words. He has no reason not to.

Tiger05

First Grade
Has he ever played behind a dominant pack? I think this year we have the goods in the forwards, and this will be the litmus test. If he f**ks it, see ya later. But without benchie there, I reckon he will kill it.

I checked our odds last night and we are in the second tier of clubs at the bottom of the ladder. Our odds were I think 41 to 1 along with Saints and the Dogs and Broncos were at 51 to 1.

I hope we have a pack that carries us forward but we are going to have to wait and see.

It'll be interesting how Brooks goes as well. He had a shocker for most of last year.