What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
TPJ plus a lock forward like Finucane or even Liu would basically be a complete forward pack. Once a few more of the deadweight in the backs leave we could start going after some gun strike power. Then it's just a matter of getting the best halves combination from Brooks/Hastings/Doeuihi/Madden, or moving one (or more) of them on and signing a new half

Tigerm

First Grade
TPJ plus a lock forward like Finucane or even Liu would basically be a complete forward pack. Once a few more of the deadweight in the backs leave we could start going after some gun strike power. Then it's just a matter of getting the best halves combination from Brooks/Hastings/Doeuihi/Madden, or moving one (or more) of them on and signing a new half
I thought our forwards were developing nicely, but do agree TPJ (if we get him) will add some muscle. Got Musgrove to come back as well.

I tend to think that our team is getting there but still very patchy, but once we get the consistent style of game we are after, then I think it will all fall into place. Future is still looking good.

Tiger05

First Grade
TPJ plus a lock forward like Finucane or even Liu would basically be a complete forward pack.

I don't even think we'd need another signing. We have good plodders in Tamou, Twal & Joe O. Then we have some impact from Stef U, Mikaele, Musgrove, Blore & Seyfarth. All those guys play better in the middle. Seyfarth and Joe O are a good lock pair. Tuki Simpkins could also come in.

Then we'd have Luc and TPJ on the edge along with Garner and Blore.

That is a good pack with some depth.

We need some outside backs but we've bought Ken M and Giddart. We have Kepaoa coming back from injury. It's probably our weakest area though.

The halves are interesting as well because Mbye and Hastings are both options.

I also reckon Doueihi is one of our best players and you have to pick him. Does he slot in at centre ? He could do this easy but he is also good in the halves. I'd probably keep him at centre.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't even think we'd need another signing. We have good plodders in Tamou, Twal & Joe O. Then we have some impact from Stef U, Mikaele, Musgrove, Blore & Seyfarth. All those guys play better in the middle. Seyfarth and Joe O are a good look pair. Tuki Simpkins could also come in.

Then we'd have Luc and TPJ on the edge along with Garner and Blore.

That is a good pack with some depth.

We need some outside backs but we've bought Ken M and Giddart. We have Kepaoa coming back from injury. It's probably our weakest area though.

The halves are interesting as well because Mbye and Hastings are both options.

I also reckon Doueihi is one of our best players and you have to pick him. Does he slot in at centre ? He could do this easy but he is also good in the halves. I'd probably keep him at centre.
Agree, re Doueihi, he is a centre, I though he never let the ball go past him (not often anyway) at 6. IMO, it is why Mbye has come good?

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree, re Doueihi, he is a centre, I though he never let the ball go past him (not often anyway) at 6. IMO, it is why Mbye has come good?
I don't think Mbye has been that good. I reckon he owes us a big game or 50. Doueihi has an impact. I like him in both positions. Maybe it'll work better with Doueihi in the centres and Hastings at 6. Next year will be interesting.

It'd be good to get a guy like TPJ though. I know it's a risk but he isn't a plodder.

stryker

First Grade
Doueihi is a bloody ordinary 5/8...slow as all hell and doesn’t give the ball early enough.
As soon as he moved wider our backline started working in attack. None of them can defend together though…

Tiger05

First Grade
Doueihi is a bloody ordinary 5/8...slow as all hell and doesn’t give the ball early enough.
As soon as he moved wider our backline started working in attack. None of them can defend together though…

I don't think his speed is an issue at 6 if it isn't an issue in the centres. He'd be a gun player if he was as quick as JAC though. I think he was going pretty well at 6. I think moving him wide was more about a better balance for the team and mainly because Doueihi's defense needs work plus our centres have been pus. Mbye is one of our better defenders.

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't think Mbye has been that good. I reckon he owes us a big game or 50. Doueihi has an impact. I like him in both positions. Maybe it'll work better with Doueihi in the centres and Hastings at 6. Next year will be interesting.

It'd be good to get a guy like TPJ though. I know it's a risk but he isn't a plodder.
Sorry, haven’t we won something like 3 out of 4 games when he has played at 6? He didn’t play last week?

Choiboi

Juniors
Roosters won't sign him. They were interested a year ago but decided against it since he isn't a 'cultural' fit
TPJ would be a very good signing. This season he has been much more disciplined and consistent. Him and Haas are clearly the Broncos best two players. He definitely seems like the sort of player Madge can get the best out of.

Tiger05

First Grade
Sorry, haven’t we won something like 3 out of 4 games when he has played at 6? He didn’t play last week?
I don't think he has been that good. It's the best fit for the team but we need more out of him for the dollars we are paying him. Doueihi is out tonight and it's a big loss. I hope Mbye has a blinder but for mine he has been too quiet.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Saw on some Ch9 show Sterlo saying that Finucane is the player the Tigers need, not TPJ. Too many inconsistent players already at the club, they need a player who puts in every game.

Tiger05

First Grade
Saw on some Ch9 show Sterlo saying that Finucane is the player the Tigers need, not TPJ. Too many inconsistent players already at the club, they need a player who puts in every game.

They state this stuff and then we get a plodder. I like Finucane but we need guys like TPJ.

Das Hassler

Bench
They state this stuff and then we get a plodder. I like Finucane but we need guys like TPJ.

Of course we do...Finucane gives 100% 100% of the time ...***LEADS*** by example and is highly rated by the best players the game has seen...when TPJ is not fu king up he gives 80% 50 % of the time. Tell me the last time Finucane didn't earn his money on a football field. And while we're at it when did Peter Sterling ever recommend a dud player to us ??
Worth noting....guess which player "WTF would he know as well" Craig Bellamy wants (and WHY he wants him) at Melbourne next year?....both are currently available to sign.

Tiger05

First Grade
Of course we do...Finucane gives 100% 100% of the time ...***LEADS*** by example and is highly rated by the best players the game has seen...when TPJ is not fu king up he gives 80% 50 % of the time. Tell me the last time Finucane didn't earn his money on a football field. And while we're at it when did Peter Sterling ever recommend a dud player to us ??
Worth noting....guess which player "WTF would he know as well" Craig Bellamy wants (and WHY he wants him) at Melbourne next year?....both are currently available to sign.

Bellamy was devastated when they lost Blair. I like Finucane but on the same dollars Melbourne is paying him.

stryker

First Grade
Bellamy was devastated when they lost Blair. I like Finucane but on the same dollars Melbourne is paying him.
Lol you are an arrogant merkin.
Finucane is twice the player TPJ is but you don’t agree with almost everyone in RL, so it’s all bullshit lol…

Tiger05

First Grade
Lol you are an arrogant merkin.
Finucane is twice the player TPJ is but you don’t agree with almost everyone in RL, so it’s all bullshit lol…

I didn't call it BS but you are basically correct in everything else. There are a lot of dumb f**ks into rugby league. You are a classic example. I'm one of the rare smart ones. I'm also very humble.

I'd love Finucane here though. I just don't want our club to be his retrenchment package.

stryker

First Grade
I didn't call it BS but you are basically correct in everything else. There are a lot of dumb f**ks into rugby league. You are a classic example. I'm one of the rare smart ones. I'm also very humble.

I'd love Finucane here though. I just don't want our club to be his retrenchment package.
f**k off you do. Fair dinkum you have a split personality. You shit all over him every time his name is mentioned. I threw his name up a few months back and you climbed aboard your little tantrum soap box and argued black and blue that he was crap.

Tiger05

First Grade
f**k off you do. Fair dinkum you have a split personality. You shit all over him every time his name is mentioned. I threw his name up a few months back and you climbed aboard your little tantrum soap box and argued black and blue that he was crap.

I argued that he might not be worth top dollar. I'm still not sold on him.

Tiger05

First Grade
Here is an article from DT:-

Phil Rothfield: How Wests Tigers plan to dig out of current slump

The Tigers are coming off a shameful loss, but the club is manoeuvring to ensure it doesn’t happen again, writes PHIL ROTHFIELD.

NRL: The Melbourne Storm have scored 12 tries and beaten the West Tigers by a 50 point margin in their round 15 clash at the Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Michael Maguire will not be sacked and there are no crisis meetings happening at the Wests Tigers despite one of the most shameful performances in the club’s history over the weekend.

As much as the club is embarrassed and ashamed by the 66-16 defeat to Melbourne Storm on the Sunshine Coast, chairman Lee Hagipantelis insists the coaching role is not even being discussed.

“I’m embarrassed personally and I’m embarrassed for the club and our fans,” Hagipantelis told News Corp.

Stream selected Fox League shows on Kayo Freebies completely free this June including NRL 360, Sunday Night with Matty Johns, Big League Wrap & more. No Credit Card. No-brainer. Register Free Now >

“Look, 66 points is embarrassing. You can’t sugar coat it and no one is shirking away from it. It’s just embarrassing. Effort, attitude and a combination of things.

“It’s beyond my level of rugby league expertise to tell you how and why it happened. But we understand the pain that our fans are feeling.”

The Wests Tigers boss was on the Sunshine Coast for the game. He spoke to Maguire on Sunday morning about the performance.

“We were taught a really tough lesson by the preeminent team in the competition,” he said.

“That’s the standard we aspire to. Given our more recent performances, this result was inexplicable and difficult to accept. The players own it and the club owns it. We’re all hurting.

“We’re striving for consistency from top to bottom. There has erratic form across the competition, not just from us. Melbourne also put 50 on Souths a few weeks ago.”

Saturday night was the equal most points conceded by Wests Tigers. They lost 66-12 to the Eels way back in 2001.

They were so bad in the first half that Maguire refused to address the team at half-time.

There was nothing he could say.

This is a club that has no choice but to play a patient game.

They won’t be winning comps any time soon and the fans have to accept that.

Dare I say it but a ‘five-year-plan’ is what’s needed, just like the Panthers.

They have the longest finals drought in the NRL, having not played in the semis for 10 years.

Yet two great men are soon to arrive in four-time premiership coach Tim Sheens and former halfback champion Brett Kimmorley.

This will fix the area of recruitment where this club has been found wanting for too long.

The days of paying $800,000 for bum players are over.

Sheens and Kimmorley will reopen the pipeline and pathways from Campbelltown to ensure the next Israel Folau, James Tedesco or Jarryd Hayne is wearing their jersey.

Latest posts