What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I hope the sliver lining from missing TPJ is that we can afford to front load Mbye's contract and move him on ASAP.

His heart is really not in. He is not delivering anything in terms of individual performance or leadership.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
If he goes as soon as St George want him we will need to find 2 signings to meet NRL rules. We don't seem to be able to attract any one.
Would probably promote Tuilagi as one of the new players.

I am happy for juniors to get promoted because it will allow us to pay Mbye more of what we owe him this season.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
From what I saw on the documentary last night Madge seems like a decent coach. The problem lies with the players we have. Unfortunately the only way to improve our roster is to sign a coach who can attract players who can play better than our mob. Do we have a spare couple of million to throw at Wayne Bennett?

Fordy20

Juniors
Would probably promote Tuilagi as one of the new players.

I am happy for juniors to get promoted because it will allow us to pay Mbye more of what we owe him this season.

Exactly. Just promote internally. Minimum NRL salary would be more than what these blokes would be on. Signing them on a two or three year deal with a yearly salary review would be better than going to market for any old player just to comply with the rules.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Exactly. Just promote internally. Minimum NRL salary would be more than what these blokes would be on. Signing them on a two or three year deal with a yearly salary review would be better than going to market for any old player just to comply with the rules.
True. Or we can start what looks like becoming our plan for a year or two looking for some young reserve grade players that are only a small chance of first grade at the club of their choice.
( oh man. I am stuck in a place of such negativity)

WT Unity

Juniors
I hear you here - However, unfortunately one of the rules that a club needs to comply with is to spend up to the salary cap. This is a problem for us presently because we can't seem to attract the quality recruits we want and then having missed out on them we are forced to buy...well the types of recruits we've bought recently. We seem to be caught in a vicious cycle, but the question that remains is - Why can't we attract players when for example the Bulldogs (coming last and having had recent instability at both board and coach level) can?

Tigerm

First Grade
I hear you here - However, unfortunately one of the rules that a club needs to comply with is to spend up to the salary cap. This is a problem for us presently because we can't seem to attract the quality recruits we want and then having missed out on them we are forced to buy...well the types of recruits we've bought recently. We seem to be caught in a vicious cycle, but the question that remains is - Why can't we attract players when for example the Bulldogs (coming last and having had recent instability at both board and coach level) can?
I think it is purely a money thing, until Hartigan, we were paying overs and getting players, admittedly not top tier but reasonable and unfortunately most, if not all ended up not performing for us?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Good point about spending up to the cap. I think front loading of contracts is allowed and provides us with a a work around?

In normal circumstances Mbye earns $800k in 2021 and the same in 2022. $1.6mill total

Surely we can pay Mbye an additional amount of his 2022 salary in advance - say $400-$500k. That way we only owe him $300-400k in 2022. At that point Dragons might even take him on at full freight for 2022. That would cost us nothing.

WT Unity

Juniors
Ye
Good point about spending up to the cap. I think front loading of contracts is allowed and provides us with a a work around?

In normal circumstances Mbye earns $800k in 2021 and the same in 2022. $1.6mill total

Surely we can pay Mbye an additional amount of his 2022 salary in advance - say $400-$500k. That way we only owe him $300-400k in 2022. At that point Dragons might even take him on at full freight for 2022. That would cost us nothing.
Yep good example - But! who do we buy once cap space is freed up? We can't attract! And if we don't get any rep level quality players we won't climb that ladder. We just keep treading water!

Would have been good to get TPJ, however he is not a player you throw the kitchen sink at just to land, we've spent some big money on some real f**king duds the last few seasons so I'd like the club not to repeat it. Latrell and JAC are the guys I rue missing out on. They are genuine big game players.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I understood Latrell not wanting to head our way but I think it was our stuff up on JAC.
If I was a player and it was between the Tigers and the Bulldogs and I looked at the two rosters it wouldn't take me long to chose Bulldogs. They would have to be a decent chance of finals next year. Us on the other hand......

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Ye

Yep good example - But! who do we buy once cap space is freed up? We can't attract! And if we don't get any rep level quality players we won't climb that ladder. We just keep treading water!
I think the player market can change quickly so I will stay hopeful.

Assuming Mbye, Packer, Jet and BJ are all moved on we would need experienced replacements so you are right.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think the player market can change quickly so I will stay hopeful.

Assuming Mbye, Packer, Jet and BJ are all moved on we would need experienced replacements so you are right.
Yep, a long way to go the start of next season?

Just means another forever ending off season.

Tiger05

First Grade
James Hooper reckons we tried to trade Mybe and Brooks for Wighton and Hodgson with the Raiders. Complete bullshit story from Hooper - he clearly just made that up

These journos have the best jobs. They get on the grog, speak complete and utter BS as you do but then they get paid to tell sober people their BS.

Someone should call them out on their BS. Just say you made that up you idiot.

Latest posts