What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

stryker

First Grade
Maybe instead of getting a new head coach, punt the assistant coaches and bring in some of the other candidates as assistants. Get Dean Pay for the defence and Geoff Toovey in for the attack. See if the players respond any better.
Yeah I like it if they are prepared as ex head coaches to work under someone.
The bloke running our defence should be sued by the club for fraud.

WA Tiger

Bench
How could they not listen to and respect Toovey…There's no bull shit coming out of his mouth..he’s got a bit of a twinkle in his eye when needed too

Gemini Rooster ..In fact a powerful little caaaaarnt

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
How could they not listen to and respect Toovey…There's no bull shit coming out of his mouth..he’s got a bit of a twinkle in his eye when needed too

Gemini Rooster ..In fact a powerful little caaaaarnt

I think they could easily not listen to him....he hasn't coached a premiership or series winning side and few of the younger crop of nrl players would know too much about him at all...when he last coached ...let alone played most of them were in primary school and that's no disrespect to him...time moves on...for most of them he'd just be a former manly coach who was punted for trent barrett.

WA Tiger

Bench
Ok I just meant who he is How he communicates. Like I said there’s no bullshit. No mixed messages. He’s become a permanent on Foxtel not by accident…same with his success at manly as coach..maybe one of the hardest clubs to have success at …Have a close look. He doesn’t get flustered or embarrassed. He comes out with left field stuff but it’s accurate. Hes confident as and personable. They obviously like him there..He’s an accountant so he’s obviously got brains…..at least what Ive seen..If he needed to fix something up he’d make sure it was done in no uncertain terms. I think the boys would love him

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Ok I just meant who he is How he communicates. Like I said there’s no bullshit. No mixed messages. He’s become a permanent on Foxtel not by accident…Have a close look. He doesn’t get flustered ot embarrassed. He comes out with left field stuff but it’s accurate. He’s an accountant so he’s obviously got brains…..at least what Ive seen..If he needed to fix something up he’d make sure it was done in no uncertain terms. I think the boys would love him
I suggested Tooves last year.
He is intelligent, he is tough, he is skilful and successful. He is a lifelong student of the game and well respected by the league world.

Das Hassler

Bench
Ok I just meant who he is How he communicates. Like I said there’s no bullshit. No mixed messages. He’s become a permanent on Foxtel not by accident…same with his success at manly as coach..maybe one of the hardest clubs to have success at …Have a close look. He doesn’t get flustered or embarrassed. He comes out with left field stuff but it’s accurate. Hes confident as and personable. They obviously like him there..He’s an accountant so he’s obviously got brains…..at least what Ive seen..If he needed to fix something up he’d make sure it was done in no uncertain terms. I think the boys would love him

I know what you're saying and agree with most of it...at any other time maybe but right now Toovey would come with ready to go future targets on his back if it didnt very quickly show results...i doubt he could draw elite players to the club any better than madge could ..i could write the punchlines for Ennis and Johns now

WA Tiger

Bench
Like everyone ..but he’d come cheep for that first year Dirt cheep to get his foot in the door..and big name players No less than most other candidates.. He may get a good wrap from notable players he coached…Good results is all he’d need

WA Tiger

Bench
I know what you're saying and agree with most of it...at any other time maybe but right now Toovey would come with ready to go future targets on his back if it didnt very quickly show results...i doubt he could draw elite players to the club any better than madge could ..i could write the punchlines for Ennis and Johns now
He’s not likely to be a friend of Pascoe so he’s got no chance!

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
When I used to work at Narrabean 5 years ago I used to see Toovey around a lot was a quite laid back bloke off the field. I can't what Madge is like away from the game when cameras are not on him. Maybe he is too intense 24/7. Maybe he is shit at building relationships. I think you need a balance. I've heard Bellemey only goes off in the box and when he wants to be heard he does it one on one but treats them like one of the boys away from the game.

Maybe instead of getting a new head coach, punt the assistant coaches and bring in some of the other candidates as assistants. Get Dean Pay for the defence and Geoff Toovey in for the attack. See if the players respond any better.
The assistant coaches are typically responsible for defence and attack, not 100% at every club though. The guys we have, have been disappointing. Former 1st grade coaches love to still be involved and I think Pay would be outstanding with the defence role.

Cartright, Furner, Henry, Price and Kearney come quickly to mind as former 1st grade coaches who have stayed involved as assistant coaches.

Whatever his shortcomings, real or imagined, as the week has progressed, I've grown more confident that Madge is odds-on to get another chance.

Look at the Manly tonight, last weeks pork-chop dog side would have beaten them into a pulp.

That's a result that helps Madge Id say.

V'landys has bastardised this game to beyond anything imaginable.

macnaz

Staff member
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

macnaz

Staff member
Geoff Toovey - Gemini /Rooster

f**ked if I know what all that shit means .. BUT Toovey is one of the toughest players to have ever played the game, he has played at the highest levels in the halves and hooker.. tough respectful and will always stand up for his club and players..
He kept Manly in premiership contention against all odds while the freak Hasler stole Manlys best players.
The modern day Tommy R

macnaz

Staff member
Whatever his shortcomings, real or imagined, as the week has progressed, I've grown more confident that Madge is odds-on to get another chance.

Look at the Manly tonight, last weeks pork-chop dog side would have beaten them into a pulp.

That's a result that helps Madge Id say.

V'landys has bastardised this game to beyond anything imaginable.
Wake up call!! How did DCE go ?? VERY Brooks like and that's not the only time he has produced crap like that this year. Careful what you wish for .

The chasm between the top 4 and the bottom 4 sides has never been so profound.

The number of games with record scores is “ bears on barrels” footy as @Das Hassler has superbly coined.

The steady decline of the arm wrestle.

The number of official errors.

The strange interpretation of six again.

The death of scrums.

The pious nature of the games management.

The recent flip about of teams fortunes ( us, Souths, Easts etc) where it’s hero to zero.

Players playing against the same sides twice in a row for different sides!

Sides like us only a few wins out of the 8 on 33% wins.

The situation of teams winning their last games of the season to get a date with the storm and be wiped out.

This is rugby league 2021. Only a few sides are actually competent to play it as it’s supposed to be played ie Panthers and Storm. Kudos to them but the rest of us are f**ked.

As a spectacle, tonight’s game was rubbish!

Im thinking we need a draft. It’s getting too hard for the bottom sides to compete.

if Madge stays, let’s pray he gets the right support. We need “player whisperers” at training. We need players delivering more than we need a new coach. If they’d implanted his game plans, we’d have had a fighting chance.

80% of our players are footy anarchists or incompetent. Bless ‘em.

If he goes, that might help. We won’t know until next year. Proof in the pudding scenario. Significant risk either way. That’s the reality I think. Can’t run from it!

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench

Don’t be ridiculous..
They have already decided
They won’t announce anything untill they are set to go with a new coach

That involves a humongous conversation amoungst themselves about who, then confirmation from that coach that they are keen and how keen. Then they will discuss that coach amoungst themselves again about how much control they give him, then go back to the coach, throw all sorts of curve balls at him £>}{#%^~| and then who knows what else blah blah

I pick 27th Sept
Or prob after Grand final?

Last edited:
Don’t be ridiculous..
They have already decided
They won’t announce anything untill they are set to go with a new coach

That involves a humongous conversation amoungst themselves about who, then confirmation from that coach that they are keen and how keen. Then they will discuss that coach amoungst themselves again about how much control they give him, then go back to the coach, throw all sorts of curve balls at him £>}{#%^~| and then who knows what else blah blah

I pick 27th Sept
Or prob after Grand final?
Buddy WA, they were still investigating and taking submissions on Thursday.

It’s a real review.

Latest posts