What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Assuming we have $1.6mln to spend, which is being reported, I would sign Scott, Simms and Elliot on two year deals with club options for years three at about $300k each.

I would then try and offload Brooks to the Raiders, paying half of his freight, which would give us about a million left to go after the next major marque that hates life during pre season.

Its not going to change us into a top four side, but no amount of players at the moment are.
It seemes like Madge will be staying on so we can fantasise about who we should sign but the criteria will be 1 no other club wants them 2 they are either over 30 years old or have next to no nrl experience.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don’t get the fuss around Scott and Elliot. They have both had significant off field issues and aren’t close to being Rep players. These aren’t the ones you take a punt on. BJ and Jet were worth a punt as at their best they are elite players. These guys ceiling is slightly above average first graders. Neither improve us to a top 8 side

These would be dud signings. We keep going for guys like Stef, Blore etc and maybe have a punt on some elite level talent if someone becomes available.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Reportedly we have $1.6m to spend on 4 players. What we need is:

* centre
* prop
* edge back rower
* utility

Averaging out at $400k per player we shouldn’t be settling, we need to buy players who are better then who is already starting for us. To me there two players on the market that fit this well, Tariq Sims and Tyrone Peachey. Get those 2 guys then wait for the prop and centre. There is ALWAYS movement in the off season. Imagine if we go and buy a plodder like Scott and then all of a sudden someone like Lomax becomes available? Or we get Woods and then Tapine is free to negotiate.

We need to hold our nerve and not just buy the best of who hasn’t been picked up.

Tigerm

First Grade
Reportedly we have $1.6m to spend on 4 players. What we need is:

* centre
* prop
* edge back rower
* utility

Averaging out at $400k per player we shouldn’t be settling, we need to buy players who are better then who is already starting for us. To me there two players on the market that fit this well, Tariq Sims and Tyrone Peachey. Get those 2 guys then wait for the prop and centre. There is ALWAYS movement in the off season. Imagine if we go and buy a plodder like Scott and then all of a sudden someone like Lomax becomes available? Or we get Woods and then Tapine is free to negotiate.

We need to hold our nerve and not just buy the best of who hasn’t been picked up.
Agree, Musgrove will be back, but another mongrel forward who can lead in defence and bend the line, i believe will set our forwards up, but a gun back who is quick and has a bit of nous in defence is a desperate requirement, wing or centre doesn’t matter. I‘d love someone to put pressure on Nofo’s position?

Though I am really hoping Hastings becomes our on field leader.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Agree, Musgrove will be back, but another mongrel forward who can lead in defence and bend the line, i believe will set our forwards up, but a gun back who is quick and has a bit of nous in defence is a desperate requirement, wing or centre doesn’t matter. I‘d love someone to put pressure on Nofo’s position?

Though I am really hoping Hastings becomes our on field leader.

Musgrove has the ability to be that power forward we need. Jimmy Smith said in the pre season the club had identified him as our number 1 front rower for the year. He had a shit start getting suspended in the All Star game then had a shocker against Manly before the foot injury that ruled him out for the year.

He still has 3 years here and needs to show his worth next year.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Also hearing that Madge is gone and we are looking for an assistant coach to aid Sheens….fkn sucks as well.
Interesting. I'm hearing it's Flanno.
I think either would be an upgrade. At the moment we are certs for last or second last next year. Whoever the coach is if they get us 12th or better it will be a huge improvement.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The rumour about Woods signing is not going away…fkn sucks
Id not be thrilled and the as far as I reckon it would only be palatable if Tamou was going in the off season- either retiring or to ESL. If Woods did come back he would be nowhere near any leadership role, just play football and no guarantee of a starting sport or even in the 17. Maybe if he demonstrated some forward mentoring ability he could be promoted to do more officially with that but no leadership role- he well and truely blew that to hell last time.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Interesting. I'm hearing it's Flanno.
I think either would be an upgrade. At the moment we are certs for last or second last next year. Whoever the coach is if they get us 12th or better it will be a huge improvement.
Im pretty sure Maguire is gone- only because of his demonstrated inability to communicate plans and tactics to the players and recruitment of seasoned players has stalled and even Maguire's own future plan requires that leavening of the squad with seasoned players which he cannot attract. I think the reviewers and Board would be happy with the pathway and plans he has been part of developing and also his future plan. But the reality of a rare opportunity to recruit with some $$$ behind us means we have to compete with the others to get those signatures and Maguire just cant do it. \i also think Maguire will not work under / with Sheens- maybe he ends up walking with some dignity rather than sacked?

Hard decisions have to be made including the future of Brooks, Nofo and Tamou- all key signings that are not showing their worth and living up to expectations. A new coach has to make those decisions.

My 2 cents are on Flanagan. Ciraldo wont come- he has to too good at Penrith and Im pretty sure assurances of future plans, Morris has signed as Asst with Souths and the others are yesterdays men eg Green. I just cant see any hope of Bennet unless its as a place filler for a year or so until the 2nd Brissie team gets up.

The good thing about recruitment and the rule of buying better than what you already have is that for us, the vast majority of our squad are piss poor excuses for first graders.
That should make it easier on the confused f**kwits who are working on it.

They'll still find a way to f@#k it up. I know it doesn't seem possible but they will.

Probably sign Scott on a 4 year $700K contract and Lachlan Lewis to a 3 year $600K contract. They could also swap the factory of sadness for some magic beans

I'd put Woods on a minimum wage contact and have him cleaning the shitters at Leichhardt under constant fan supervision and feed back. You could make it part of the membership drive. A morning of painting the porcelain and then sledging Woods as he has to clean it up. Personally, I'd have a 5 day bender prior to attending with nothing to eat but curries and kebabs the whole time.

Other than that I would never entertain the thought of ever having him back under any circumstances. What he did prior to leaving was traitorous.

gordsy

Juniors
Not directly related to us but I was heartened to see we aren't the only club with morons for players. That Herbet clown should be shot for being a glory hound and not passing to Thommo. Good to see Thompson give him a spray too. I think he is too small for fullback but would have liked to see him given a go at centre??

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
I'd put Woods on a minimum wage contact and have him cleaning the shitters at Leichhardt under constant fan supervision and feed back. You could make it part of the membership drive. A morning of painting the porcelain and then sledging Woods as he has to clean it up. Personally, I'd have a 5 day bender prior to attending with nothing to eat but curries and kebabs the whole time.

Other than that I would never entertain the thought of ever having him back under any circumstances. What he did prior to leaving was traitorous.
I have to agree. He acted like a real ass in his last year with the club. I don't want him at any price.

stryker

First Grade
Not directly related to us but I was heartened to see we aren't the only club with geniuss for players. That Herbet clown should be shot for being a glory hound and not passing to Thommo. Good to see Thompson give him a spray too. We could use a bloke like that. I think he is too small for fullback but maybe give him a go at centre ??
Should never have got rid of him.
Herbet had Thommo and Fifita with him. His job was to feed one of them - either would have scored. It is so typical of the modern day centre that he went himself…they are all hogs.
Thommo rightly blasted him as it was unprofessional, selfish and ended their collective season. That is leadership and we need players with that attitude. He could do a job for us in the centres for sure.

Yes Thomo has football in him and that’s what you need in your players, when you look at the WT players,90% of them don’t want to tackle or run the ball ,they have nil interest or football in them.
Another issue with the modern game is the so called
athletes in the game that have no f##king idea about basic skills eg. Draw and pass to an unmarked player, which sounds simply ,but is beyond most players in the NRL, the butchered try on the last by the Titans was a perfect example.

Yes Thomo has football in him and that’s what you need in your players, when you look at the WT players,90% of them don’t want to tackle or run the ball ,they have nil interest or football in them.
Another issue with the modern game is the so called
athletes in the game that have no f##king idea about basic skills eg. Draw and pass to an unmarked player, which sounds simply ,but is beyond most players in the NRL, the butchered try on the last by the Titans was a perfect example.
That’s right, there’s always at least a 10% chance of most players over-estimating their skills and abilities at any given time.

Your factory knock-on from a decent pass that your 12 year old could have caught is one of my favourite blunders.

The mighty miss from directly in front.

Or the winger who misses half of the defence careening down on him to put him into the third row.

The low percentage play in its many guises.

That ridiculous offload that was never on.

Kicking straight down the throat of the fullback or winger who already has a run up.

The pass to the guy in front of you or when he’s not ready. That look of surprise when the ball bounces to the defence and is picked up one handed by their fastest player and fired out to a massive centre at 100mph.

The beloved hospital pass.

The careful intercept, mm perfect for the opposing centre.

The pass that’s ankle level, seconds wasted or a fumble.

The basketball pass into row 14

The defensive collision or the ball bounce that usually ends up in the hands of their best player

The slipping over for no reason on a dry paddock

Losing control of the ball trying to score a try

The defenders knocking each other out in a tackle.

The acl from some mundane factory tackle-usually occasioned in a match where the result has been known for 20 minutes beforehand and the player is vying for origin.

The disappearing limp

The magical recovery after a penalty for a dangerous tackle that’s taken the medical profession by storm and worries big pharma.

And we hope in vain for better games and higher standards.

Buts its first class rugby league, a cruel and heart breaking sport.

Still, we can only have one mistress!

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
From the other site?

THE POM said:
Curtis Scott’s management reached out to the club last week to gage interest & proposed a similar deal to that of James Roberts, 1st year heavily incentive based deal with an option for a 2nd year in the clubs favour. The club is taking this into serious consideration since Talau’s injury.

Adam Elliott will only be entertained as a possible recruit if his value is far less than that of his Dogs contract with certain clauses in place also.
In all both could be recruited & cost a maximum of 350k-400k for the pair of them.