What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigers1986

Juniors
I give Madge until Round 10. Working with Sheens as an advisor could be brilliant to rectify the little teething issues he has. Madge has his squad and $1 million in the war chest.

If we're say 3-7 by round 10 and getting pasted, then he goes and we bring Toovey in.

Tigerm

First Grade
The other site is stating the review has been completed and Madge stays. Interesting the players were supposedly supportive of Madge.
THE POM:
Review has been completed & will be presented to the board by Wednesday. Madge appears to have survived the cut, not so much his assistants. The support staff will not be in Madge’s complete control but more or less club appointed, with the review under lining that they are well past the current game.
Player support was high & will be a major supporting factoring in Madge staying.

Good news, if true?

Tigerm

First Grade
THE POM:

Re: Aaron Woods.

“It won’t go away, he really doesn’t want to go to the Super League & not many other suitors out there, if it did come around it will be for a maximum 200-250k on 1 year.”

Not fussed to be honest?

stryker

First Grade
Yes Thomo has football in him and that’s what you need in your players, when you look at the WT players,90% of them don’t want to tackle or run the ball ,they have nil interest or football in them.
Another issue with the modern game is the so called
athletes in the game that have no f##king idea about basic skills eg. Draw and pass to an unmarked player, which sounds simply ,but is beyond most players in the NRL, the butchered try on the last by the Titans was a perfect example.
Fifita butchered a pass to Thommo in the first half that may have been a try as well. He was really upset at his inside men for not possessing the skills to put him in space. He was positioned perfectly both times.

I agree, the lack of basic football skills such as draw and pass, straightening up and working the inside shoulder of the defender and getting the ball away in traffic are non existent in this new brigade of “footballers”. I wonder how many of them could cop a legs tackle and pop the pass as they are falling? 25 years ago it was a staple. There are numerous times per game where a clever popped pass to a runner would result in a line break. More often than not, the ball runner doesn’t even look. How many tries per year are bombed in a 3 on 2 because the ball runner goes the hero cutout rather than playing the percentages and going through the hands? Ponga does it constantly. It worked twice yesterday but failed on many occasions as well.

A team of footballers who move the ball around without taking huge risks will do really well in this current format of the game. Ask Melbourne.

stryker

First Grade
The POM doesn’t have inside info…he has gossip. Gets a lot of stuff wrong. However say he is correct…

Woods, Scott and Elliot signing because no one else will have them isn’t filling me with confidence.
If Woods is signing for a low figure, what is his motivation to tuck in and bust arse? I don’t see him as a mentor.
Scott hasn’t been controlled by Bellamy and Stuart, two tough task masters. The bloke is a wanker Dugan clone. He will let us down.
Elliot can be good but hasn’t been for a long while now.

The fact is though, sadly they are probably better than what we already have and if we pick all 3 up for under $600k, then that is good recruitment as it will leave big dough to hook one or two high level players should they come free.

Tigerm

First Grade
The POM doesn’t have inside info…he has gossip. Gets a lot of stuff wrong. However say he is correct…

Woods, Scott and Elliot signing because no one else will have them isn’t filling me with confidence.
If Woods is signing for a low figure, what is his motivation to tuck in and bust arse? I don’t see him as a mentor.
Scott hasn’t been controlled by Bellamy and Stuart, two tough task masters. The bloke is a wanker Dugan clone. He will let us down.
Elliot can be good but hasn’t been for a long while now.

The fact is though, sadly they are probably better than what we already have and if we pick all 3 up for under $600k, then that is good recruitment as it will leave big dough to hook one or two high level players should they come free.
Agree re the 3 possible signings? As you ay, no one is coming near us, so they may be the best of the rest, hopefully if signed, they all come with stringent get our clauses in our favour, should it all go pear shaped? Though it would screw our season once more, if it come to that.

But we have a bucket load of cash, hopefully we can offer a gun most of it to come over? If we get one, it may well encourage others?

BrotherJim05

Bench
If we can get Woods, Scott and Elliot over here on 600k a year for all three then why the f**k not. Whatever happens, none of them should be signed for more than 2 years. Majority of our players come off contract in 2023, which means one of two scenarios will happen:
A - Madge gets enough of the boys playing well enough to get us into finals. The perception of the club changes and Madge/Hartigan have a blank cheque to fill the remaining spots of players who didn't make the cut under MadgeBall with Marquee players (even if on slight overs)
B - Madge gets punted at the end of next year. The new coach comes in and has a year to ween out anyone who doesn't suit his new style. They then basically have an open cheque and blank slate for 2024 onwards.

As I've said a few times, I really hope Madge sees out his contract. If Madge gets us into the top 8 then he will finally start commanding the respect that a Wests Tigers coach needs to properly build a roster. Whatever the case is, a coach who has been through the trenches and survived to get us into the finals will be better long term than a coach who simply walks in and gets us into finals

As for the reports that the players are behind Madge - if true then f**k me...I broke the golden rule and actually listened to the toiletpaper articles that they weren't. Maybe it's just Brooks that doesn't like him and that will be resolved by Hastings replacing him? I have absolutely no idea what Hastings is like but I have this weird gut feeling he is the type of personality that you hire in a team so that the people you don't want anymore quit.

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I just can't see Madge getting us any higher than 2nd last at best next year. If he is staying I will wish him well as I take a half assed interest in the game next year.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I look at Richmond in the AFL and hope we are on the same path, Hardwick took over in 2010 when they were crap and in the middle of a restructure similar to what we are doing atm. First 3 years he was there they missed finals and his win percentage was around the 30% mark, hence they looked like punting him after 2012 but decided to hang in. They snuck into the finals the next year and from that point they never looked back, slowly gained momentum and dropped the tag of also rans to become the dominant team of the last 5 years.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
With the recruits, they need to be an upgrade on what we already had:

Scott @ $200K > Joey @ $600K
Woods @ $200K > Packer @ $800K
Not sure on Elliot, we have some good young guys coming through in those positions and he offers zero in leadership and culture, but i'd be happy with
Peachey @ $300K > MBye @ $800K, still $100K in front after we pay the $400K of his contract.

WA Tiger

Bench
Ive seen Mbye in front of they team trying to lift the boys at half time against parra I think in Tigertown and I saw Tamau talking today somewhere about how great everything is and Madge should stay.. If that’s the best we’ve had to pull the boys out of trouble and Inspire them when in trouble heaven help us.. We need leaders desperately…I’d make Dugan captain just hope he stays on the field long enough…I don’t know if Madge could handle a tough Captain tho

simmo05

Bench
I look at Richmond in the AFL and hope we are on the same path, Hardwick took over in 2010 when they were crap and in the middle of a restructure similar to what we are doing atm. First 3 years he was there they missed finals and his win percentage was around the 30% mark, hence they looked like punting him after 2012 but decided to hang in. They snuck into the finals the next year and from that point they never looked back, slowly gained momentum and dropped the tag of also rans to become the dominant team of the last 5 years.
They do have a bloke called dusty martin, who is a big game freak. No dusty, no premierships. He is that good

WA Tiger

Bench

The people in the know, from the time Richmond turned the corner will agree, that the single biggest change that occurred there, from the time Hardwick nearly lost his job, to winning multiple premierships, was he chilled out and started considering the negative effects his obsessiveness and need to win was having on the players, and the team as a whole …Madge is incapable of that kind of change..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I just can't see Madge getting us any higher than 2nd last at best next year. If he is staying I will wish him well as I take a half assed interest in the game next year.
2nd last?

The suits know if they stick with Madge there’s a very real possibility of getting the spoon next year, and with the drawn out humiliation that goes with that, the chances of keeping their jobs will plummet..They will prefer paying out Madge now, rather than face that prospect

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
Woods for 200k on one year is perfect - motivation to stay around if he does carry his weight. He's at least got some leadership clout as well.

I still think they need to throw the sink at Sims. Elliott could be a good egg as well. But no, no way would I go near Scott - to be sacked from the Storm shows you've got nothing positive running for you.

I'd sniff around Lomax as well and see if he's up.

WA Tiger

Bench
I give Madge until Round 10. Working with Sheens as an advisor could be brilliant to rectify the little teething issues he has. Madge has his squad and $1 million in the war chest.

If we're say 3-7 by round 10 and getting pasted, then he goes and we bring Toovey in.
More like Molar removal rotting gums brown/black chipped loose teeth…screaming pain

Also
Tariq Simms is tough ..get him now!!

Sometimes I yank on and it’s obvious, but I’m afraid to report that I know Adam Elliots cousin quite well although he’s a bit younger than me.

And I spent a good ten minutes today telling his cousin how great the club is and how loyal and f**king nice we fans and members are. that he should sign ASAP and that we’d all love to see him rock up. We don’t worry about the past, a club of forgiveness a bit like the foreign legion.

And hes promised to put it across to Adam earlier tonight or tomorrow.

As an unofficial club spook, I will then let the club know what he says.

Who the f**k is Hartigan when ye olde lu wt forumers start meddling?

If anyone wants to write something kind about Adam, I’ll show his cousin so he can vouch for my sincerity in the matter.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Needing Woods to come back is well and truly rock bottom for our club, but I think we just have to face the fact that we are indeed at rock bottom.

Sign Woodsy up. Tell him to put some fire in the f**ken boys because I'm looking at our roster and I'm not seeing anyone that can do that