What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

stryker

First Grade
He’s a strike half who dominates, that’s a pretty good start. The kid at work used to play against him, says he’s half crazy with attitude.

He’s a different type of player to put into the squad. Ultra competitive like Doogie but less cuddly. A bit of of a grandstander.

They say Gildarts game is a lot like Lomaxs (the kennel).

So a bit of individualism creeping in. Souths is the ultimate side of individuals in some ways, each player has a core strength.

We still need a couple of gun fowards, that’s where I would be spending.

Desperately need Muzzie back in action smashing into the line with an offload, second phasing.
Yes we need some forward mongrel to help bring the young fellas through.
I am also worried about our centres…Doueihi, Talau, Gildart…not much there.
To be fair, there are currently only 4 or 5 players in our side that are consistent first grade standard. By the end of 2022 that may scale to 6 or 7. We need to sign 7/8 players in the next 2 years as our roster is mud. Understanding that and setting realistic game plans to suit the skill level is our only chance of missing the spoon in ‘22.

Tiger05

First Grade
We still need a couple of gun fowards, that’s where I would be spending.

I don't think we desperately need forwards.

Middle forwards:- Stef, Twal, Joe O, Tamou, Seyfarth, Tuki Simpkins, Mikaele & Amone.
Edge forwards:- Luc, Blore, Garner, Tuilagi

It's the same as the backs in that at best we look average. We need some class.

Our problem is we need top tier talent but we can't buy those players which means we have to develop them like Melbourne do with players like JAC and Koro.

We need at least 2 quality players for next season and ideally 2 gun development players. It's going to be tough recruiting the right players. I hope we get this right.

Tiger05

First Grade
We need to sign 7/8 players in the next 2 years as our roster is mud. Understanding that and setting realistic game plans to suit the skill level is our only chance of missing the spoon in ‘22.

If we over perform I see us getting close to making the top 8. That is pretty shit. We need year on year of picking up players that can develop into top quality NRL players. Maybe we can jag an established star but based on how we recruit atm I can't see that happening.

I don't think we desperately need forwards.

Middle forwards:- Stef, Twal, Joe O, Tamou, Seyfarth, Tuki Simpkins, Mikaele & Amone.
Edge forwards:- Luc, Blore, Garner, Tuilagi

It's the same as the backs in that at best we look average. We need some class.

Our problem is we need top tier talent but we can't buy those players which means we have to develop them like Melbourne do with players like JAC and Koro.

We need at least 2 quality players for next season and ideally 2 gun development players. It's going to be tough recruiting the right players. I hope we get this right.
Yes, it’s a really tough assignment threading that needle, but at least there’s a few bucks in the tin this year.

Tuki was coming along ok this season.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I suspect we will loose Garner in the off season to Manly- thigs just seem to be lining up that way. So we will have a backrow forward spot. Backs are required with extra requirement for wing / centre / fullback / utility. We ned to have some cover for Laurie at FB without having to shuffle around the entire backline and even then its only really Doueihi that can fill in. A Simona type that could cover all these positions would be ideal.

Yes, look to snag a couple of the 'stuck behind the main squad' players from Penrith / Parra but a vital cog in the strategy outlined by Maguire and the club is to get some experienced NRL players to provide some starch to things. The pickings are pretty slim with that being available - Peachey, Sims, Elliott and Scott. We need to get at least 2 of those hopefully 3.

I suppose some advantage is that many players will be looking for short term filler contracts before the new Brissie team comes in to try their luck / value so we could well get a few of these as clubs to the off seaosn fine tuning and trim squads. We also need to make sure they can play in the new fast, mobile game and I suspect its the opposite 'óld style'players that will be shed so they would have to be carefully assessed.

Also need to think that some of the existing squad that just wilted in the last half of season and/or tanked and/or white-anted things will be tapped on shoulder and told they're out.

I suspect we will loose Garner in the off season to Manly- thigs just seem to be lining up that way. So we will have a backrow forward spot. Backs are required with extra requirement for wing / centre / fullback / utility. We ned to have some cover for Laurie at FB without having to shuffle around the entire backline and even then its only really Doueihi that can fill in. A Simona type that could cover all these positions would be ideal.

Yes, look to snag a couple of the 'stuck behind the main squad' players from Penrith / Parra but a vital cog in the strategy outlined by Maguire and the club is to get some experienced NRL players to provide some starch to things. The pickings are pretty slim with that being available - Peachey, Sims, Elliott and Scott. We need to get at least 2 of those hopefully 3.

I suppose some advantage is that many players will be looking for short term filler contracts before the new Brissie team comes in to try their luck / value so we could well get a few of these as clubs to the off seaosn fine tuning and trim squads. We also need to make sure they can play in the new fast, mobile game and I suspect its the opposite 'óld style'players that will be shed so they would have to be carefully assessed.

Also need to think that some of the existing squad that just wilted in the last half of season and/or tanked and/or white-anted things will be tapped on shoulder and told they're out.

Good post.

Pitch for Elliot and Scott I’d say and then hold out for disgruntled or sacked?

The sheens factor and youngsters maturing will almost certainly deny us of our right to the spoon.

I actually think we could do next better next season if we turn up and show some ticker.

Listening to Madge might be a novel idea, even from our factory skills base.

Tiger05

First Grade
The pickings are pretty slim with that being available - Peachey, Sims, Elliott and Scott. We need to get at least 2 of those hopefully 3.

None of these guys move the needle for us. I'm not even sure they make our top team especially Elliot and Scott. These guys are being let go and they haven't had good seasons.

I'd rather see us signing gun juniors. Sims and Peachey on good contract terms for us may be okay. Elliot and Scott wouldn't make our team.

None of these guys move the needle for us. I'm not even sure they make our top team especially Elliot and Scott. These guys are being let go and they haven't had good seasons.

I'd rather see us signing gun juniors. Sims and Peachey on good contract terms for us may be okay. Elliot and Scott wouldn't make our team.
I understand, but we seemed to have tamed a few bad boys of late. Hasn’t won us games I guess. Mmm..

Magpies Forever

Juniors
If we are keeping Roberts which apparently Maguire wants to do but held off whilst spotlight on, I think Peachey would be a good utility buy to cover and then try for a quality fledgling fullback to understudy Laurie. Then try all out to get SIms rather than Elliott but if Sims wants Roosters (put a short timeframe on acceptance) and then go to Elliott and let it be known there will be behavior clauses in contract with sacking consequences if transgressed. Dunno about Scott, I would only consider if Roberts is not in the squad for next year. If his heart isnt in the game an longer I'd love for him to work for the club with indigenous pathways (why should the Rabbits always be identified for that?) Whatever we do we better be quick.

JB04

Juniors
One player who hasn't been resigned by their club is Braidon Burns - think he'd do a much better job than Scott and/or Roberts.

Read somewhere Tigers approached Bulldogs about a swap deal. Hope for the love of god it was Brooks for Thompson. An off season signing spree of Thompson, Burns, Peachy and Sims would be great methinks.

stryker

First Grade
One player who hasn't been resigned by their club is Braidon Burns - think he'd do a much better job than Scott and/or Roberts.

Read somewhere Tigers approached Bulldogs about a swap deal. Hope for the love of god it was Brooks for Thompson. An off season signing spree of Thompson, Burns, Peachy and Sims would be great methinks.
It would be a good start to the rebuild.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This season could finish on a real high for me. If Nathan Cleary gets suspended I will be laughing for at least a year.

Id laugh too but there was nothing in it, I mean they let him get away with a blatant shoulder charge a few weeks back. No way he’s getting suspended for that

Fordy20

Juniors

Surely if we're loosing Garner, we should be getting Taupau with Manly paying freight. I can't see them letting us have anyone else who is still on contract.

Justin Pascoe

Dear lads, '

As some of you know, I have been fortunate enough to liaise directly with our CEO.

While some of these communications are private, I thought Id share some general points with you about this difficult period.

Firstly, I can assure you that the club hierarchy is very disappointed and upset with this terrible year. They feel very bad about it.

Obviously they feel that that the decision to keep Madge is the right one and now that it is out of the way, they will stand by him.

The club now spends 100% of the soft cap instead of the 65% we were stuck with a few years ago. We are very excited to be back into the market proper.

There has been a lot of investment in the Flegg side and they were undefeated this year, so the club is expecting these players to flow through soon.

Over 1,500 budding kids turned up to trial in our junior teams, the biggest turn up in club history.

The new Centre of Excellence is the best in the Southern Hemisphere

The club has never been wealthier.

The club is going through a lot of change in key personnel and feel bad that the supporters have been let down.

So a lot of pr there. I didn't expect any apologies.

Madge:-

On the other hand, Madge put out his statement recently and that was interesting because apart from being unauthorised, he was very grateful for the support people had given him personally. The club said the review was necessary, they said Madge would understand that, but make no mistake, Madge was pretty upset with the focus on him. I dont blame him.

Im much more critical of the Board who have ultimate control. Lee is making too many mistakes and isn't coming across as professional. When he said he would resign if he felt it was in our best interests, I thought that was very arrogant and out of touch. That kind of language doesn't impress anyone, least of all the big end of town because it doesn't address accountability.

Pascoe is doing Ok with non footy things, but we cant continue with this off-focus model. We are buying into a product and sooner or later, we need to have it delivered.

Last edited: