What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Hastings and Brooks to start the season in the halves. If they perform I assume AD comes back into the centres unless a miracle happens and we have two guys firing in the centres. It'd be interesting if 2 out of Gildart, Talau, Roberts & Kepaoa are firing and can't be moved.
I still think AD is a viable option at Lock, just needs to work on his defense. He's a bigger body than guys like Radley and Murray and has some ballplaying in him, if he gets tired you interchange him with Peachey. I'd rather him there than Hastings, he would be wasted at Lock. Hastings should be running the team at 7, Brooks a running 6 to take the pressure off him.

Tiger05

First Grade
I still think AD is a viable option at Lock, just needs to work on his defense. He's a bigger body than guys like Radley and Murray and has some ballplaying in him, if he gets tired you interchange him with Peachey. I'd rather him there than Hastings, he would be wasted at Lock. Hastings should be running the team at 7, Brooks a running 6 to take the pressure off him.

I don't know where you play AD. I think he is our best player but is he a 6 or a centre or could he play lock. I see him better on an edge than the middle so I'm skeptical about playing him at lock which probably means he would kill it there.

I agree with your comment on Hastings running the team at 7.

WT Unity

Juniors
I've said it before and I'll say it again...In fact I said it mid way thru last year when the story of him falling out at Canberra was first reported.
I am quite hopeful that we get Hodgson because I think we need more clever! More scheming! More players in key positions who play intelligent footy and I think Hodgson is just that. Not to mention a dummy half who consistently passes the ball perfectly out front of / to the 1st receiver and not one or two in every set at his knees or behind him. It's vital!
Whilst it is still only hopeful at this stage with Hastings we have to back the fact that he just might now be ready for the NRL, because he does have the talent.
So my thoughts are that if we were to get Hodgson, and he and Hastings run the show with footy brains, street smarts, game management and a bit more clever!!! Then the likes of Brooks, Peachy, Laurie and Douehi will be far more dangerous playing off the back of that. DL @ 1 / Brooks @ 6 / Hastings @ 7 / Hodgson @ 9 has the potential to be a top 8 spine (sure more 8,7,6 but I'd take that next year in a heartbeat). If we have to sacrifice Liddle then I think we have to do so because we have Simpkin as back up and maybe he is the long term option for after Hodgson. Outside of the spine mentioned above we also have Douehi and Peachy who are both very versatile and can slot in at centre if need be and Madden as well as a back up in the halves.
Sheens likes skilful players and we just might have a few more with the skillsets required in 2022.
Fingers Crossed!

Tiger05

First Grade
It's scarily how much faith we are putting in Hastings. I really hope he lives up to the hype but I'm not going to be bagging him if he doesn't

I'll be bagging him but I hope that doesn't happen. We need him to be a top quality halfback in this comp.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Wests Tigers ready to pounce as Papali’i rejects Parramatta offer
By Michael Chammas
October 29, 2021 — 6.00pm

The Wests Tigers are circling star Eels back-rower Isaiah Papali’i after he rejected Parramatta’s offer of a two-year extension on Friday.

Papali’i, who has one more year to run on his contract with the Eels, has been in negotiations with the club about an extension since the season ended over a month ago.

Parramatta are willing to upgrade his $200,000 contract to about $275,000 next year, but the Eels aren’t budging on their $425,000-a-season offer as part of a two-year extension for 2023 and 2024.

Papali’i’s manager notified the club on Friday that his client has opted to formally reject their offer and instead hit the open market on November 1 when he is free to negotiate with rival teams.

The Wests Tigers have already indicated they would be in a position to make an offer. The Herald understands the Tigers, led by new director of football Tim Sheens, are willing to offer up to $600,000 to lure Papali’i away from the Eels in 2023.

Former Tigers general manager Adam Hartigan had been manoeuvring behind the scenes for weeks trying to convince Papali’i that the Wests Tigers and coach Michael Maguire were worth taking a chance on.

Hartigan has since parted ways with the club, with Sheens and recently appointed recruitment manager Warren McDonnell picking things up.

It comes as negotiations between the Tigers and Luciano Leilua’s manager have hit a road block. Leilua’s manager has been asking for in excess of $700,000 a season from the Tigers for the back-rower.

However club officials believe Papali’i, the reigning Dally M back-rower of the year, could be better value at around $550,000-$600,000 a year to play the same position.

Papali’i was a revelation for the Eels after joining the club from the Warriors in 2021, pushing his way into the starting side following the lifeline handed to him by coach Brad Arthur.

He scored seven tries and averaged 150 metres per game in a breakout year, finishing the season with 109 tackle breaks and 30 offloads from 25 games played. He also finished the year third in the NRL for post-contact metres.

The Eels have a number of players who will hit the open market in a couple of days, with skipper Clint Gutherson, hooker Reed Mahoney and props Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard all free to negotiate with other clubs for 2023.

The other unknown is the future of Ryan Matterson, who appears to be on the outer at the club despite joining the Eels from the Tigers two years ago. Matterson recently took up an option in his favour to remain at the Eels in 2022.

The Tigers themselves are in the middle of negotiations with Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. Hodgson is on a deal worth $900,000 for next year, however a six per cent reduction in the salary cap due to the impact of COVID-19 means he is owed around $850,000 in 2022.

The Wests Tigers have indicated they are willing to pay $500,000 of his salary, plus another year on top. The Raiders, however, will only chip in $100,000 for next year leaving the two parties $250,000 apart.

Tiger05

First Grade
I just read that Papali’i artticle on the SMH. I like the sound of getting him. Get him and retain LL and we have a quality back row. You could even let LL go and I like him. It would make some sense though because Blore can defend whereas Luc's defense is poor.

By Michael Chammas

The Wests Tigers are circling star Eels back-rower Isaiah Papali’i after he rejected Parramatta’s offer of a two-year extension on Friday.

Papali’i, who has one more year to run on his contract with the Eels, has been in negotiations with the club about an extension since the season ended over a month ago.

Parramatta are willing to upgrade his $200,000 contract to about $275,000 next year, but the Eels aren’t budging on their $425,000-a-season offer as part of a two-year extension for 2023 and 2024.

Papali’i’s manager notified the club on Friday that his client has opted to formally reject their offer and instead hit the open market on November 1 when he is free to negotiate with rival teams.

The Wests Tigers have already indicated they would be in a position to make an offer. The Herald understands the Tigers, led by new director of football Tim Sheens, are willing to offer up to $600,000 to lure Papali’i away from the Eels in 2023.

Former Tigers general manager Adam Hartigan had been manoeuvring behind the scenes for weeks trying to convince Papali’i that the Wests Tigers and coach Michael Maguire were worth taking a chance on.

Hartigan has since parted ways with the club, with Sheens and recently appointed recruitment manager Warren McDonnell picking things up.

It comes as negotiations between the Tigers and Luciano Leilua’s manager have hit a road block. Leilua’s manager has been asking for in excess of $700,000 a season from the Tigers for the back-rower.

However club officials believe Papali’i, the reigning Dally M back-rower of the year, could be better value at around $550,000-$600,000 a year to play the same position.

Papali’i was a revelation for the Eels after joining the club from the Warriors in 2021, pushing his way into the starting side following the lifeline handed to him by coach Brad Arthur.

He scored seven tries and averaged 150 metres per game in a breakout year, finishing the season with 109 tackle breaks and 30 offloads from 25 games played. He also finished the year third in the NRL for post-contact metres.

The Eels have a number of players who will hit the open market in a couple of days, with skipper Clint Gutherson, hooker Reed Mahoney and props Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard all free to negotiate with other clubs for 2023.

The other unknown is the future of Ryan Matterson, who appears to be on the outer at the club despite joining the Eels from the Tigers two years ago. Matterson recently took up an option in his favour to remain at the Eels in 2022.

The Tigers themselves are in the middle of negotiations with Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. Hodgson is on a deal worth $900,000 for next year, however a six per cent reduction in the salary cap due to the impact of COVID-19 means he is owed around $850,000 in 2022.

The Wests Tigers have indicated they are willing to pay $500,000 of his salary, plus another year on top. The Raiders, however, will only chip in $100,000 for next year leaving the two parties $250,000 apart.

Papali'i yes, and split the hodgo void down the middle. Lucy is having a lend, but he likes Madge so he might crumble.

Tigerm

First Grade
By Michael Chammas

That would be fantastic, dare to dream stuff.

Vozzy

Juniors
I like LL but $700k is a bit much at this stage but he has potential to be that kind of back rower. I feel if he went to a storm or roosters he would become one and we would look dumb again.