What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

tigre

Juniors
From the mole

Hodgson staying put

Josh Hodgson's proposed move to the Tigers looks to be officially dead.

The switch looked a certainty a few weeks ago, with the Raiders keen to move Hodgson on and the Tigers in need of an experienced number nine.

But the Raiders have dug their heels in, refusing to pay any of Hodgson's hefty contract money.

The Tigers would only play ball if the Raiders contributed to the deal, so the deal is off unless Canberra changes its stance.

Tiger Ted

Bench
From the mole

Hodgson staying put

The switch looked a certainty a few weeks ago, with the Raiders keen to move Hodgson on and the Tigers in need of an experienced number nine.

But the Raiders have dug their heels in, refusing to pay any of Hodgson's hefty contract money.

The Tigers would only play ball if the Raiders contributed to the deal, so the deal is off unless Canberra changes its stance.
It’s about time we stop bending to unreasonable demands of player agents etc & paying massive overs.I like Hodgson as a player but I’m over the moon that we didn’t pay the ridiculous money he is currently on with the raiders.If we continue to play hardball in negotiations we will eventually assemble a competitive side who might give a FK when representing the club/fans.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Good news about Hodgson. He'd be worth the risk if we were paying max 300k. Unfortunately the game is past him & I can't see his body holding up for much longer.

Fordy20

Juniors
From the mole

Hodgson staying put

What's the bet Moley read the post from @Hoofhearted and slapped together an article using shit we already know?

BrotherJim05

Bench
As much as Hodgson would have been absolutely huge for us (both leadership and skill wise) it is a huge relief we aren't footing such a huge bill for him. Good on the Tigers for playing hardball. That type of money could be used to make a legit play for The Cheese, who would be huge for us (he's played for Madge in NZ team and enjoyed it). I'm hoping we swoop in with huge offer and pluck him from Chooks grasp.

Realistically though, we should persist with Liddle and Simpkin and use the money for a gun centre and maybe another front rower.

Vozzy

Juniors
I like how we set a price for a player now and won't overpay desperately just to claim them. I wasn't fussed whether we got him or not. I'm still surprised we are not even considering Brandon Smith. We kinda need to stop targeting players who have had good careers but are on a decline especially if they are still on a big contract currently. I prefer going for young guns who are on extended benches for Storm/Roosters they are coming from good systems but are waiting for a Tedasco to get injured for an opportunity.

BrotherJim05

Bench
The more I think about it the more I think we should make a play for the Cheese. He's a f**king gun player and could easily command 800k a season. I highly doubt Roosters can afford to pay him that much, maybe they are offering him like 600k, but if we swooped in with a massive offer I think we could actually get him. He's already won a premiership so I reckon he won't be as keen to take unders just to win another premiership.

Wishful thinking I know but f**k me he would be good for us

gordsy

Juniors
I have a feeling it's not dead and buried but more a case of us playing hardball instead of rolling over. Canberra will cave or they pay his full whack, which they don't want to do. My guess is they were / are just trying to get us to blink first. Maybe Hodgo will be good for Brooks, he will demand more of him which can only help.

Shredder

Juniors
Im still surprised we didnt offer Liddle up for Hodgeson in a one year player swap.

We could have seen Hodge in our system and make him an offer when hes off contract if he really is what we are looking for. Liddle would have had more (if anything) game time and he fills the Starling hole.

Canberra are going into the first near half of the season without a recognized 9.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I doubt it’s dead and buried. I still really want him, our spine instantly looks stronger if he was there

Vic, I'm interested in why you think he'd be good for us? Please don't take this as a criticism, as maybe I've missed something you see. 4 years ago I'd have thrown the house at him. Since then he's done 2 knees, & IMO looks considerably off the pace of the modern game.

Canberra fans biggest issue with him is he's lost his speed & no longer causes the defence to second guess themselves & he gives slow service, as he looks to explore before passing. However with his loss in speed this is no longer effective.

Tiger05

First Grade
Vic, I'm interested in why you think he'd be good for us? Please don't take this as a criticism, as maybe I've missed something you see. 4 years ago I'd have thrown the house at him. Since then he's done 2 knees, & IMO looks considerably off the pace of the modern game.

Canberra fans biggest issue with him is he's lost his speed & no longer causes the defence to second guess themselves & he gives slow service, as he looks to explore before passing. However with his loss in speed this is no longer effective.

I think it's more about Liddle/Simpkin not getting the job done to a high standard consistently. Those two players are really really good reserve grade players but they aren't yet really good first grade players.

If we can upgrade our 9 it'd really help.

Hodgson was really good but you are right to question will he improve us.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

NRL transfers: Josh Hodgson’s move to Wests Tigers collapses​

The Wests Tigers have missed out on marquee man Josh Hodgson as talks with the Raiders collapsed at the 11th hour.

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

6 min read
November 24, 2021 - 9:56AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Wests Tigers pursuit of Josh Hodgson is officially over with the hooker expected to see out the remaining season on his contract.
Talks between the Tigers and the Raiders have formally broken down despite months of negotiations.
The Tigers were keen on bringing the English international to the club for the next two years and Hodgson was keen to link up with coach Michael Maguire.
However the clubs have been unable to find middle ground in how they would split Hodgson’s final year of his contract – worth about $800,000.
Josh Hodgson will remain in Canberra after talks broke down with the Wests Tigers. Picture: Getty

The Tigers were keen to pay $500,000 but the Raiders wanted more of a contribution. In the end, talks at this stage have broken down.
Hodgson has already returned to pre-season training with Canberra. The ex-Canberra skipper will act as an insurance policy for Tom Starling who has an ongoing court appearance.
The Tigers have Jacob Liddle, Jake Simpkin and even new recruit Jackson Hastings as potential dummy half options.

macnaz

Staff member
Marquee ?
Just the media trying to add another player to our list they can say was a marquee signing missed.
We are still a side of plodders , so why get rid of one of our more explosive players in Liddle when he is now getting past his injuries and will have an actual 7 to work with going forward .

Hoofhearted

Juniors
WILD FOUR CLUB SHAKE-UP

Sea Eagles playmaker Kieran Foran’s desire for one last payday could see Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks join the Knights.

But that will only happen if Josh Hodgson is released by the Raiders who want more money from the Tigers for the veteran hooker - however negotiations reportedly broke down on Wednesday.

There’s no rest for the wicked in the convoluted world of the NRL off-season.

Foran is contracted for 2022 but if the Knights - who are looking to replace Mitchell Pearce - offer a longer deal, he could request an immediate release from Manly.

If the Tigers can salvage the Hodgson situation - that might allow Brooks to join the Knights - and the Tigers will then look at signing Foran, according to The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Richie.

“Kieran Foran has a contract for 2022 and (Manly coach) Des Hasler has no plans to let him go,” Richie said on Big Sports Breakfast.

“Newcastle are talking among themselves to replace Pearce. They need a big playmaker. I don’t think Brooks will go. So it’s ‘Do we offer Foran two years’.

“He could pick up $350,000-$400,000. That could prompt (Foran) to ask for a release if he could get the extra year.

“The other element is if Hodgson goes then that might allow Brooks to go then the Tigers might have a look at Kieran Foran but we’re still bubbling along in the background with lots of rumours and speculation.

“I don’t think Hodgson will happen but all it takes is for the Tigers to come back and say to the Raiders ‘We’ll bump it up a bit’ and I think the Raiders would then let him go immediately.

“These things bubble along for months and then boom, they can happen within 24 hours.”

Foran departing would allow rising star Josh Schuster - who has made it clear he wants to play in the halves - to wear the No. 6 jumper.

Newcastle signing Foran would allow the club to keep Kalyn Ponga at fullback for at least another year.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers to join North Queensland Cowboys​

Wests Tigers have been rocked as one of the club’s best players has asked for an immediate release to join an NRL rival.

Phil Rothfield and Sports Editor-at-large

2 min read
November 24, 2021 - 6:17PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../6a46aa5fd1005422d8114053e0ef02cf#share-tools

The Wests Tigers have suffered another massive recruitment blow, losing outstanding second-rower Luciano Leilua to the North Queensland Cowboys.

The giant edge forward has also asked for a release from the final year of his contract in 2022 to join the Cowboys in the new year.
Shattered Wests Tigers officials are planning to issue a press release on Thursday morning.
The Cowboys have used the money they saved after missing out on barnstorming Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau to sign Leilua on a three-year deal.
The Daily Telegraph understands he will be paid $700,000 a season.
Luciano and Joey Leilua.

Whether Leilua is worth that much is debatable but the Cowboys officials were far more active to get the deal over the line.
It is known Leilua and his manager, Mario Tartak, have been disappointed with negotiations at the Wests Tigers for the last couple of months.
Little progress has been made since they began talks in August.
The signing of Isaah Papili'i from the Parramatta Eels last week on a three-year deal worth more than $600,000 a season was the catalyst for Leilua to look elsewhere.
He felt undervalued.
The Leilua camp insists coach Michael Maguire is not the problem despite the coach’s well publicised falling out with his brother Joey.
It has more to do with the fact Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe has not once spoken to Tartak about the negotiations since August.
Wests Tigers director of football Tim Sheens claims he was unaware of the move until contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday evening.
“We knew the Cowboys were negotiating,” Sheens said. “It sounded like a damn good offer. They had money stashed away for Kikau.”
The signing is a huge boost for the Cowboys.
Luciano Leilua wants to join the Cowboys immediately. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

At his best Leilua isn’t a long way behind Kikau.
He was the Wests Tigers’ best forward and second only to Adam Doueihi as the club’s best player.
The Cowboys will officially announce his signing on Thursday.

Latest posts