What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

hsvjones123

Juniors

NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers to join North Queensland Cowboys​

Wests Tigers have been rocked as one of the club’s best players has asked for an immediate release to join an NRL rival.

Phil Rothfield and Sports Editor-at-large

2 min read
November 24, 2021 - 6:17PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../6a46aa5fd1005422d8114053e0ef02cf#share-tools

The Wests Tigers have suffered another massive recruitment blow, losing outstanding second-rower Luciano Leilua to the North Queensland Cowboys.

The giant edge forward has also asked for a release from the final year of his contract in 2022 to join the Cowboys in the new year.
Shattered Wests Tigers officials are planning to issue a press release on Thursday morning.
The Cowboys have used the money they saved after missing out on barnstorming Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau to sign Leilua on a three-year deal.
The Daily Telegraph understands he will be paid $700,000 a season.
Luciano and Joey Leilua.

Whether Leilua is worth that much is debatable but the Cowboys officials were far more active to get the deal over the line.
It is known Leilua and his manager, Mario Tartak, have been disappointed with negotiations at the Wests Tigers for the last couple of months.
Little progress has been made since they began talks in August.
The signing of Isaah Papili'i from the Parramatta Eels last week on a three-year deal worth more than $600,000 a season was the catalyst for Leilua to look elsewhere.
He felt undervalued.
The Leilua camp insists coach Michael Maguire is not the problem despite the coach’s well publicised falling out with his brother Joey.
It has more to do with the fact Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe has not once spoken to Tartak about the negotiations since August.
Wests Tigers director of football Tim Sheens claims he was unaware of the move until contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday evening.
“We knew the Cowboys were negotiating,” Sheens said. “It sounded like a damn good offer. They had money stashed away for Kikau.”
The signing is a huge boost for the Cowboys.
Luciano Leilua wants to join the Cowboys immediately. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

At his best Leilua isn’t a long way behind Kikau.
He was the Wests Tigers’ best forward and second only to Adam Doueihi as the club’s best player.
The Cowboys will officially announce his signing on Thursday.
If the cowboys want to pay this guy 700k a season they are mad.... We clearly got the better end of this deal picking up the Dally M 2nd rower of the year for 600k..
I would not let him go early unless we get a replacement just like other clubs do to us.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
If the cowboys want to pay this guy 700k a season they are mad.... We clearly got the better end of this deal picking up the Dally M 2nd rower of the year for 600k..
I would not let him go early unless we get a replacement just like other clubs do to us.
I'm still wondering if we are about to pick up Thompson from the dogs, its no secret that their salary cap is top heavy with forwards and at the moment they cant afford to chase quality spine players. Add to this he has already been offered to us in the past and his close mate has just joined us.
Or maybe I'm just turning into a Telegraph reporter clutching at straws.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
After 2020 I would have moved heaven and earth to keep him…but like I said in another thread, in rugby league you need more than a decent attacking game to make it. His defense for an edge back rower is deplorable and definitely not 700k worthy.

good luck to the cows, I liked him as a player but reckon he will fade off into the sunset like Marsters did

Pezz70

Juniors
It makes no sense does it. I think we need him. I like Liddle/Simpkin but Hodgson is an upgrade and it gives these guys especially Simpkin some time to develop.
Hodgson was an upgrade two or three years ago. Liddle adds a dummy half kick to his game, and starts throwing a bad pass every third or fourth set, instead of one every set, he is better than Hodgson next season. Liddle isn’t far away

hsvjones123

Juniors
I'm still wondering if we are about to pick up Thompson from the dogs, its no secret that their salary cap is top heavy with forwards and at the moment they cant afford to chase quality spine players. Add to this he has already been offered to us in the past and his close mate has just joined us.
Or maybe I'm just turning into a Telegraph reporter clutching at straws.
If we could pick him up I would have no problems letting him go early.. Unlikely though

Pezz70

Juniors
No f**king way we should release Luciano. Even if he wants to mow the lawns. Dig our heels in this time round.

Getting real sick of the media shitting all over us...almost as much as players just deciding they can walk out at any time.
Let him go, over rated anyway, shite defender, stats don’t really show it but that’s because when he is caught out he don’t get close enough to miss the tackle

Shredder

Juniors
We cant release him because noone wants to join us to fill the f**king roster spot!

Im always of the view that if someone wants to leave you let them do it.
Ive never held staff to notice periods either.

No good can come from making a player play for a team they dont want to play for.

Hodgson was an upgrade two or three years ago. Liddle adds a dummy half kick to his game, and starts throwing a bad pass every third or fourth set, instead of one every set, he is better than Hodgson next season. Liddle isn’t far away
I also don’t see him being the right fit culturally. The Tigers need players who are going to work hard and play for the coach. Hodgson seems more the person who would be successful coming into a more established side and pushing them over the last hump (ie Parra). The Tigers are a few seasons away from that at the moment unfortunately.

Tigerm

First Grade
We cant release him because noone wants to join us to fill the f**king roster spot!

No good can come from making a player play for a team they dont want to play for.
A line in the sand I think? Let see what Sheens is made of?

Tiger05

First Grade

I agree but players are doing it for the extra money. We cop it as well. Aloiai, Matterson and now LL. Do we get Papali'i early ?

It's becoming a way to do business without integrity from players and player managers.

WA Tiger

Bench
Sheens sounds pretty chilled about it…”We knew the Cowboys were negotiating,” Sheens said. “It sounded like a damn good offer. They had money stashed away for Kikau.”
I don’t know enough him being a forward but Ive always thought his attack was predictable…I’ll have to take your guys word his defence was shit…I always miss that bit…looks like we’re past the days of panicky unknowledgeable desperate signings..more $ for Marque and playing the waiting game for a change ..cool

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Sheens will probably take a tougher stance than week kneed Pascoe re making Luc stay until end of contract. Pascoe can’t handle too much stress and folds every time, immediately, just to be rid of the drama.

Wizardman

First Grade
I like how we set a price for a player now and won't overpay desperately just to claim them. I wasn't fussed whether we got him or not. I'm still surprised we are not even considering Brandon Smith. We kinda need to stop targeting players who have had good careers but are on a decline especially if they are still on a big contract currently. I prefer going for young guns who are on extended benches for Storm/Roosters they are coming from good systems but are waiting for a Tedasco to get injured for an opportunity.
I'd like Smith but we are no chance of getting him. The word seems to be that he'll go to the titans but my gut feel says he'll be the Dolphins first signing. I think the Dolphins will absolutely throw the kitchen sink at him and Smith will be given an offer he can't refuse.