What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Fordy20

Juniors
I reckon we will be using Liddle as a bargaining chip.

We have made it pretty clear over the years that the club sees Simpkins as our long term 9.

Wouldnt be surprised if Liddle makes way
I reckon you’re right on all points. Api and Simpkin come off contract at the same time. By that time Simpkin will be 23, the same age that Mahoney and Grant are now, so the club is giving him a decent amount of time to grow into being an 80 minute hooker.

With Liddle under contract, there is no point pushing for an early release for Koroisau. He has the whole year to show other clubs just how good he is. Good hookers are thin on the ground at the moment so I reckon there will be a few very interested clubs that might be willing to make a trade, maybe even before June 30.

Pezz70

Juniors
Cheers
TBH, I don’t care much about player behaviour as long as it’s not illegal and doesn’t effect the abilities on the field.

We are not really in any position to be too choosy, atm?
Player behaviour, in this day and age is a massive concern, constant negative attention has a massive psychological impact on teams, it is especially evident given the personalities of the young entitled prima donnas passing as football stars now. They get disciplined and they sook their little hearts out, shows on the field.
In my opinion this is the most difficult thing to manage in a team these days, one or two individuals pulling negative publicity has the potential to become a cancer.
Being choosy now will build the foundation for the future, we don’t want to be bringing potential white ants into the structure.
I don’t have to name names but look at our past couple of years, we’ve taken players who were problems at other clubs, they become our problem, or let go of problems to become other teams problems, it’s pervasive. Look at the Raiders a top notch side two years ago, were abysmal this season.

Last edited:
The Panther fans are annoyed because as each marquee leaves, they have to replace him and the squad they know can win a gf has taken flight.

They haven’t fostered a strong ethic of club loyalty and the coach cannot present an argument when he is used goods on that front.

Theres a lack of leadership and lack of pride.

If the players were feeling a strong sense of pride and dynasty, they’d stay, they’d suck in some unders.

Theres a lot of tension and I think the club will struggle next year. Some players are settled on big pay packets, the rest are prey.

They aren’t the only side to suffer from ungratefulness and “ don’t you know who I am?syndrome.

Lucy and his marquee departure cash to point here.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Thinking it through, I don't see Penrith releasing Koro early. They basically have the same team minus Burton and Capewell next year, all battle hardened and with more experience. Their chances of going back to back are pretty solid.

I’m calling it now, the Panthers will wuss down and even struggle to make 4.

A suspect Parramatta had them beaten in the finals. They were lucky to scrape through.

Anyhow, Latrell lost the gf for South’s because the f**king idiot got himself suspended for a dog shot.

Next time he plays the roosters, they will pull his head off, with most of his team mates cheering them on.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I’m calling it now, the Panthers will wuss down and even struggle to make 4.

A suspect Parramatta had them beaten in the finals. They were lucky to scrape through.

Anyhow, Latrell lost the gf for South’s because the f**king idiot got himself suspended for a dog shot.

Next time he plays the roosters, they will pull his head off, with most of his team mates cheering them on.
Yeah, I think Penrith are losing a few players, it may shake them up, and of course, being a target as premiers is a hard gig to handle, as a rule.

Yeah, I think Penrith are losing a few players, it may shake them up, and of course, being a target as premiers is a hard gig to handle, as a rule.

Well they went through a lot of rubbish at the back end of the year, very turbulent period.

Letting Burto go will come back to haunt them, a horrific decision.

Nate is overpaid by about $200k I’d say.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thinking it through, I don't see Penrith releasing Koro early. They basically have the same team minus Burton and Capewell next year, all battle hardened and with more experience. Their chances of going back to back are pretty solid.

Its going to be an interesting comp next year. The 'Big 3' of last year have all lost some important players and none have been replaced externally.

Storm - JAC, Finnucane, Hynes. Then Kaufusi and B Smith leaving in 2023
Panthers - Burton, Capewell, Momo, TPJ. Then Koro and Kikau leaving in 2023, plus others potentially
Souths - Gagai, Reynolds, Sua and most of all Bennett

The chance is really there for some mid-lower tier clubs to jump up. I'm not saying anyone like us will suddenly become Top 4, however its more so that games against those clubs arent the guaranteed L they were this year. Previously those clubs could cover 2 or 3 outs, but if they have that many out next year they will be vulnerable.

I just had a look and I think the Roosters at $8 are great value for the comp next year.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Its going to be an interesting comp next year. The 'Big 3' of last year have all lost some important players and none have been replaced externally.

Panthers - Burton, Capewell, Momo, TPJ. Then Koro and Kikau leaving in 2023, plus others potentially

The chance is really there for some mid-lower tier clubs to jump up. I'm not saying anyone like us will suddenly become Top 4, however its more so that games against those clubs arent the guaranteed L they were this year. Previously those clubs could cover 2 or 3 outs, but if they have that many out next year they will be vulnerable.

I just had a look and I think the Roosters at $8 are great value for the comp next year.
Exactly what I’ve been thinking re the rorters.As much as I detest them I’m tempted to lay some money on them winning title in ‘22

Geez Vic, there’s some “grand marquee” in that lot!

Did you cast your eye over Parra? They are sounding alarmed on their forum. Any insights?

Theres a clutch of us enjoying the tactics of Bea Arthur and his application to the new rules.

They went very close to owning Panthera and tbh pound for pound a far less attractive side on paper.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade

Vic I think the Chooks would have won the comp this year if they had some luck from the Injury god. Not that I am complaining, always like so see the Chooks in a hole. 2022 will be a interesting year, a lot of the bottom teams have built up and the top teams Have dropped a tad. Sharks could be a long shot, but my early money would be on theChooks

Vic Mackey

Referee
Vic I think the Chooks would have won the comp this year if they had some luck from the Injury god. Not that I am complaining, always like so see the Chooks in a hole. 2022 will be a interesting year, a lot of the bottom teams have built up and the top teams Have dropped a tad. Sharks could be a long shot, but my early money would be on theChooks

They did well to get where they did this year, and the likes of Walker, Keighran, Butcherx2, Fletcher etc all got more NRL then they otherwise have. A couple of smart signings like Momirovski and that big dogs forward who escapes me, but yes they'll be up there.

I'm not as big on the Sharks as others seem to be. I dont think Hynes will be a success in the halves and I thought Finucane had a very down year by his standards, then they've got McInness coming off an ACL. Fitzgibbon is being hailed as the next supercoach yet we've heard that about a lot of assisstants, Seibold, Barrett and O'Brien all come to mind. I havent thought too much about next year but I wouldnt have them in my 8

soc123_au

Staff member
Well they went through a lot of rubbish at the back end of the year, very turbulent period.

Letting Burto go will come back to haunt them, a horrific decision.

Nate is overpaid by about $200k I’d say.
There isn't a team in the comp that wouldn't take over Nathans contract in a heartbeat if given the chance.

I agree Burton is a big loss, but he wants to play in the halves, at the moment in time the decision was made it was the right call.

BrotherJim05

Bench
They did well to get where they did this year, and the likes of Walker, Keighran, Butcherx2, Fletcher etc all got more NRL then they otherwise have. A couple of smart signings like Momirovski and that big dogs forward who escapes me, but yes they'll be up there.

I'm not as big on the Sharks as others seem to be. I dont think Hynes will be a success in the halves and I thought Finucane had a very down year by his standards, then they've got McInness coming off an ACL. Fitzgibbon is being hailed as the next supercoach yet we've heard that about a lot of assisstants, Seibold, Barrett and O'Brien all come to mind. I havent thought too much about next year but I wouldnt have them in my 8
I reckon Sharks will be a powerhouse from 2023 onwards. It will take a full year for all these players to gel and for the coach to get used to the vortex that is the NRL head coach role.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
On a side note that may directly affect us, has anyone noticed the Dogs currently have 31 contracted players for next year as well as Leumelume from the Storm has just started training with them. I would assume this list is accurate as its from NRL.com and the Tigers list includes Api, Papalii and Junior Tupou.

Canterbury Bulldogs​

Josh Addo-Carr2022202320242025
Paul Alamoti20222023
Corey Allan20222023
John Asiata2022
Jake Averillo20222023
Bailey Biondi-Odo20222023
Braidon Burns20222023
Matt Burton20222023PO
Josh Cook20222023
Nick Cotric20222023
Matt Doorey2022
Matt Dufty2022
Raymond Faitala-Mariner 2022
Kyle Flanagan20222023
Jack Hetherington2022MO
Josh Jackson 20222023
Tuipolotu Katoa2022
Max King2022
Jeremy Marshall-King 2022PO
Brent Naden20222023
Jayden Okunbor20222023
Tevita Pangai jnr202220232024
Chris Patolo20222023
Aaron Schoupp202220232024
Ava Seumanufagai20222023
Joe Stimson2022
Luke Thompson20222023
Jackson Topine2022
Paul Vaughan2022
Corey Waddell20222023
Brandon Wakeham 2022

hsvjones123

Juniors
On a side note that may directly affect us, has anyone noticed the Dogs currently have 31 contracted players for next year as well as Leumelume from the Storm has just started training with them. I would assume this list is accurate as its from NRL.com and the Tigers list includes Api, Papalii and Junior Tupou.

Canterbury Bulldogs​

Paul Alamoti20222023
Corey Allan20222023
John Asiata2022
Jake Averillo20222023
Braidon Burns20222023
Matt Burton20222023PO
Josh Cook20222023
Nick Cotric20222023
Matt Doorey2022
Matt Dufty2022
Raymond Faitala-Mariner2022
Kyle Flanagan20222023
Jack Hetherington2022MO
Josh Jackson20222023
Tuipolotu Katoa2022
Max King2022
Jeremy Marshall-King2022PO
Brent Naden20222023
Jayden Okunbor20222023
Chris Patolo20222023
Ava Seumanufagai20222023
Joe Stimson2022
Luke Thompson20222023
Jackson Topine2022
Paul Vaughan2022
Corey Waddell20222023
Brandon Wakeham2022
What amazes me is how can this happen as the NRL have to approve them.. Surely the person looking at it looks and says " We cannot approve this last one until you release a player to make room" .. Sounds like the NRL thought they were looking at the Roosters and not Dogs..

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Canterbury Bulldogs​

Paul Alamoti20222023
Corey Allan20222023
John Asiata2022
Jake Averillo20222023
Braidon Burns20222023
Matt Burton20222023PO
Josh Cook20222023
Nick Cotric20222023
Matt Doorey2022
Matt Dufty2022
Raymond Faitala-Mariner2022
Kyle Flanagan20222023
Jack Hetherington2022MO
Josh Jackson20222023
Tuipolotu Katoa2022
Max King2022
Jeremy Marshall-King2022PO
Brent Naden20222023
Jayden Okunbor20222023
Chris Patolo20222023
Ava Seumanufagai20222023
Joe Stimson2022
Luke Thompson20222023
Jackson Topine2022
Paul Vaughan2022
Corey Waddell20222023
Brandon Wakeham2022
Might be down to 29 soon? This is from facebook. The poster has a connection to Sam Ayoub i think. he posts quite often regarding his clients

1638784210930.png

Can someone explain why WT would be chasing Thompson? We are very well stocked up front? We need an edge back rower with experience, especially if Luciano leaves us early.

In terms of his dollar value:
$800k is what Thompson is thought to be on now
$600k is probably what he would be worth with a clean judiciary record
$500k is a fair price factoring in the chance of him spending time on the sideline suspended is high.

As of Nov 1 we had a reported $1.2m to play with and 3 spots left (brent read in the Australian)
Cotric is thought to be getting $475k (at least that is what Canberra offered)
Thompson might get $550k from WT
That leaves young Tupou on $175k this season

If all the above comes off that would leave WT with 30 players?

Still very young and short on experience. We've almost got younger in 2022 which is crazy because we had no experienced players in 2021!

Ron's_Mate

Bench
John Asiata is on that list and the Doggies terminated his contract at the end of Nov.

There isn't a team in the comp that wouldn't take over Nathans contract in a heartbeat if given the chance.

I agree Burton is a big loss, but he wants to play in the halves, at the moment in time the decision was made it was the right call.

I disagree Socky, in my view, he was the Panther looking the most likely, a team builder and mark my words, he will be kangaroo.

His fire sale for unders is a short term fix to keep the ivan brigade happy.

A few snips here and there in the name of cub loyalty and the Royal footy dynasty everyone was moaning about and you could have kept him.

That was my point. Panther players are prey and a free for all, because we know a fist full of cash means more than representing the club they belong to.

The reasoning is the lack of leadership. Ivan can’t protest, because of his grubby arrival and the overs paid for boy blunder. A game in hiding before he puts up a bomb. $1m a season ffs, turn it up. Plus he’s damaged goods when not playing. His sickening bruverly outburst for May. Total chop head.

You’re being fleeced good and proper my son.

I hate to break your heart.

JB04

Juniors
Might be down to 29 soon? This is from facebook. The poster has a connection to Sam Ayoub i think. he posts quite often regarding his clients

View attachment 56426

Can someone explain why WT would be chasing Thompson? We are very well stocked up front? We need an edge back rower with experience, especially if Luciano leaves us early.

In terms of his dollar value:
$800k is what Thompson is thought to be on now
$600k is probably what he would be worth with a clean judiciary record
$500k is a fair price factoring in the chance of him spending time on the sideline suspended is high.

As of Nov 1 we had a reported $1.2m to play with and 3 spots left (brent read in the Australian)
Cotric is thought to be getting $475k (at least that is what Canberra offered)
Thompson might get $550k from WT
That leaves young Tupou on $175k this season

If all the above comes off that would leave WT with 30 players?

Still very young and short on experience. We've almost got younger in 2022 which is crazy because we had no experienced players in 2021!
And yet not one of our front rowers (except Stefano) would cart the ball up and bend the line. I'd love a front row of Thompson and Stefano and I genuinely hope WT's make it happen

Latest posts