What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

soc123_au

Staff member
I disagree Socky, in my view, he was the Panther looking the most likely, a team builder and mark my words, he will be kangaroo.

His fire sale for unders is a short term fix to keep the ivan brigade happy.

A few snips here and there in the name of cub loyalty and the Royal footy dynasty everyone was moaning about and you could have kept him.

That was my point. Panther players are prey and a free for all, because we know a fist full of cash means more than representing the club they belong to.

The reasoning is the lack of leadership. Ivan can’t protest, because of his grubby arrival and the overs paid for boy blunder. A game in hiding before he puts up a bomb. $1m a season ffs, turn it up. Plus he’s damaged goods when not playing. His sickening bruverly outburst for May. Total chop head.

You’re being fleeced good and proper my son.

I hate to break your heart.
The Dogs signed Burton as a half dozen game rookie on 500k a year. It was pretty obvious to most at that point that he was a likely star in waiting, but Luai was rightly ahead of him. Lets say we got him to stay at 400 to 450k. We then have to sacrifice someone else, at that time probably Crichton. 2021 plays out as it did and now the whole world knows Burton is a gun. You reckon their isn't a media circus about how underpaid he is and that other clubs aren't sniffing around with 800k + offers? Dogs will need to up the dollars before he has played a game for them, given the spending spree they have been on that will be difficult.

Hopefully you guys stay firm on the Thompson offer and dont make it any easier for them. You write cheques as recklessly as they have in the past year then you suffer the consequences.

As for the others Ivans lack of leadership is just a fantasy in your mind. It was Ivan that got Api back here in the first place on a very good deal for us. The contract he just signed for you guys is his last one on significant money given his age, cant blame him for taking it. He has won comps with 2 clubs now, setting up for the next stage of his life should be his priority. I would have loved him to stay, but not at the price you guys paid.

Your Nathan hate is getting irrational now mate, he supported his best mate, never once said he condoned what he did. You can still be there for a mate even if you dont like what they did. Or you prefer the sort of bloke who wipes his mate like a dirty arse for the sake of public opinion? In any case he is in the top 1% of players in the game and every club in the comp would wet themselves in excitement to sign him.

The Dogs signed Burton as a half dozen game rookie on 500k a year. It was pretty obvious to most at that point that he was a likely star in waiting, but Luai was rightly ahead of him. Lets say we got him to stay at 400 to 450k. We then have to sacrifice someone else, at that time probably Crichton. 2021 plays out as it did and now the whole world knows Burton is a gun. You reckon their isn't a media circus about how underpaid he is and that other clubs aren't sniffing around with 800k + offers? Dogs will need to up the dollars before he has played a game for them, given the spending spree they have been on that will be difficult.

Hopefully you guys stay firm on the Thompson offer and dont make it any easier for them. You write cheques as recklessly as they have in the past year then you suffer the consequences.

As for the others Ivans lack of leadership is just a fantasy in your mind. It was Ivan that got Api back here in the first place on a very good deal for us. The contract he just signed for you guys is his last one on significant money given his age, cant blame him for taking it. He has won comps with 2 clubs now, setting up for the next stage of his life should be his priority. I would have loved him to stay, but not at the price you guys paid.

Your Nathan hate is getting irrational now mate, he supported his best mate, never once said he condoned what he did. You can still be there for a mate even if you dont like what they did. Or you prefer the sort of bloke who wipes his mate like a dirty arse for the sake of public opinion? In any case he is in the top 1% of players in the game and every club in the comp would wet themselves in excitement to sign him.

Don’t hold back Socky.

One quick point, I would wipe May on character grounds and for what he did to his victims buddy.

Treating women as trash is not ok.

Standing up for him in the media was the act of a juvenile delinquent on Nates behalf. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing. Your club was upset too.

soc123_au

Staff member
Don’t hold back Socky.

One quick point, I would wipe May on character grounds and for what he did to his victims buddy.

Treating women as trash is not ok.

Standing up for him in the media was the act of a juvenile delinquent on Nates behalf. It was cringeworthy and embarrassing. Your club was upset too.
We have done the May thing to death. No one anywhere has said what May did was right, not one of his team mates, fans of the club, media, his family. No one. What he did was disgusting, that is beyond dispute. But he is still a living breathing human being and needs the support of his friends if he is to have any hope of redemption. To disagree with that you might as well impose the death penalty.

We have done the May thing to death. No one anywhere has said what May did was right, not one of his team mates, fans of the club, media, his family. No one. What he did was disgusting, that is beyond dispute. But he is still a living breathing human being and needs the support of his friends if he is to have any hope of redemption. To disagree with that you might as well impose the death penalty.

Let’s not tear up Socky.

We are talking about Nates very public support which was the act of a juvenile delinquent that no one appreciated.

I suppose Nate didn’t reach out to the victims and once he found out about his horridness, he should have sent May and his perverted views on women packing.

Nate has a profile that he abused in some misguided and creepy ambition to support his friend. It was a bad look.

Real men stand up for the oppressed, the vulnerable and victims.

That’s my honest view. Nate is very immature and it seems his driveway doesn’t reach down to the street.

I don’t have any sex offenders as friends and I don’t want any.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Let’s not tear up Socky.

We are talking about Nates very public support which was the act of a juvenile delinquent that no one appreciated.

I suppose Nate didn’t reach out to the victims and once he found out about his horridness, he should have sent May and his perverted views on women packing.

Nate has a profile that he abused in some misguided and creepy ambition to support his friend. It was a bad look.

Real men stand up for the oppressed, the vulnerable and victims.

That’s my honest view. Nate is very immature and it seems his driveway doesn’t reach down to the street.

I don’t have any sex offenders as friends and I don’t want any.
No tears here mate. Your opinion of Nathans actions in supporting his friend dont really have any bearing on his ability as a football player though. I guess I'll just have to continue watching Nathan earn his pay packet running around for Penrith, you can do whatever it is you like watching Brooks do Brooks things for his pay in a Tigers jersey.

Tigerm

First Grade
No tears here mate. Your opinion of Nathans actions in supporting his friend dont really have any bearing on his ability as a football player though. I guess I'll just have to continue watching Nathan earn his pay packet running around for Penrith, you can do whatever it is you like watching Brooks do Brooks things for his pay in a Tigers jersey.
Next season, will be different 🤣🤣😂😂😅

soc123_au

Staff member
Out of interest, what’s your thought on the Api move?
I think it's a good decision from Api to take the dollars on offer, can't blame him for that.

For us I think we will be ok. Him signing so far out gives us a bit of time to find another option. We will be hard pressed to get someone ready to play at Api's level in 2023, but we have enough elsewhere to lessen the impact of losing him.

For you guys I think there is plenty of upside. He is good defensively and very smart in knowing when to run and when and where to deliver the ball to the right receiver. I think for his age the dollars are probably overs, but not crazy high. Given the stupid money you guys usually pay for shit, this one is a great deal. It may also help to get another decent signing or 2 over the line having a quality hooker in the squad. The biggest risk is how the covid thing plays out with him being adverse to getting the vax. Hopefully by the time he gets to Concord covid will be a memory and it wont matter.

I'll be pissed if we release him early. We are a chance again this year, so letting him off early would be stupid from our end.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think it's a good decision from Api to take the dollars on offer, can't blame him for that.

For us I think we will be ok. Him signing so far out gives us a bit of time to find another option. We will be hard pressed to get someone ready to play at Api's level in 2023, but we have enough elsewhere to lessen the impact of losing him.

For you guys I think there is plenty of upside. He is good defensively and very smart in knowing when to run and when and where to deliver the ball to the right receiver. I think for his age the dollars are probably overs, but not crazy high. Given the stupid money you guys usually pay for shit, this one is a great deal. It may also help to get another decent signing or 2 over the line having a quality hooker in the squad. The biggest risk is how the covid thing plays out with him being adverse to getting the vax. Hopefully by the time he gets to Concord covid will be a memory and it wont matter.

I'll be pissed if we release him early. We are a chance again this year, so letting him off early would be stupid from our end.
Cheers for that.
I would hope that he was signed on the proviso that he had to be vacinated?

soc123_au

Staff member
Cheers for that.
I would hope that he was signed on the proviso that he had to be vacinated?
I'm not sure tbh. From discussions in the Panthers forum my impression was that he is refusing the vax due to a previous bad reaction from some kind of vaccine. I suspect that may have played it's part in our offer, but that's just based on my own speculation. I guess the fallout from that will become apparent next year when we have to play interstate.

I'm not sure tbh. From discussions in the Panthers forum my impression was that he is refusing the vax due to a previous bad reaction from some kind of vaccine. I suspect that may have played it's part in our offer, but that's just based on my own speculation. I guess the fallout from that will become apparent next year when we have to play interstate.

Hey can play in bubble wrap with an oxygen mask.

I’m yet to see a player keel over and die from the vax.

But some of the stories of the pox are horrific. I wouldn’t even want May and Clearys to catch it Socky.

soc123_au

Staff member
Hey can play in bubble wrap with an oxygen mask.

I’m yet to see a player keel over and die from the vax.

But some of the stories of the pox are horrific. I wouldn’t even want May and Clearys to catch it Socky.
I believe Api or anyone else should be free to decide what they allow into their body. I dont know his medical history, so I'm not going to speculate on his reasons. I've never seen a player die from eating peanuts either, but if one claimed to be anaphylactic then I wouldnt be making him a pbj.

I havent seen a player keel over from covid either just quietly.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If the rumours re: Cotric are true then f**k me this is the best off season re: signings we have ever had as Wests Tigers. It's unfortunate that we have to wait until 2023 for the two best signings, but Papli'i will be a year's more experienced and I'm confident Api has the professionalism to not phone it in on his final two years (remember that this guy is a whisker away from wearing the NSW 9 jersey).
Thompson would be a great signing (I'm now hearing he may be going to Melbourne though) but we have a few really good middle forwards coming through, plus Musgrove will be fit and firing. Cotric is a way more astute signing so once we get him over the line everyone else is a "nice to have"

I'm not saying we are going to make top 8 in 2022 but the vibe I'm getting is way more positive than I felt before the off season. Plus the COE will be up and running and we will finally feel like a legit club

gordsy

Juniors
Thanks for the heads up lads. I can't remember the last time we had so many good signings.
I don't think it puts us in a place to win the comp but it will help us turn things around for sure and that's what we desperately need, a sustainable plan to move forward into continued success.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I actually reckon Peachey will be our best value signing. Reports are he’s looking really good at training, also he’s been doing a bit of work in the #13 position
If Madge is looking for a ball playing 13 then I think he will be a shoe in for the jersey. IMO Twal is an out and out prop, so I imagine Twal/Stefano will be first choice pairing by the end of the year (I imagine Tamou will be phased out and then retire by end of 2022).

They really do form an awesome combo - very different style of front rower. Twal with workhorse, minimal mistakes over long minutes and Stefano with thunderous impact and can break open the defensive line.