What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
If the rumours re: Cotric are true then f**k me this is the best off season re: signings we have ever had as Wests Tigers. It's unfortunate that we have to wait until 2023 for the two best signings, but Papli'i will be a year's more experienced and I'm confident Api has the professionalism to not phone it in on his final two years (remember that this guy is a whisker away from wearing the NSW 9 jersey).
Thompson would be a great signing (I'm now hearing he may be going to Melbourne though) but we have a few really good middle forwards coming through, plus Musgrove will be fit and firing. Cotric is a way more astute signing so once we get him over the line everyone else is a "nice to have"

I'm not saying we are going to make top 8 in 2022 but the vibe I'm getting is way more positive than I felt before the off season. Plus the COE will be up and running and we will finally feel like a legit club
Agree, though I remember well how excited I felt last season 😂😂😂

Tigerm

First Grade
Thanks for the heads up lads. I can't remember the last time we had so many good signings.
I don't think it puts us in a place to win the comp but it will help us turn things around for sure and that's what we desperately need, a sustainable plan to move forward into continued success.
I hope it’s a catalyst for better signings from now on?

super_coach

First Grade
All the talk I am hearing in the last 24hours is Cotric is going back to the Raiders. Of course things are changing directions all the time, but I think we have gone from odds on to about 100 to one.

Not the end end of the world but would have been a handy signing.

Tigerm

First Grade
All the talk I am hearing in the last 24hours is Cotric is going back to the Raiders. Of course things are changing directions all the time, but I think we have gone from odds on to about 100 to one.

Not the end end of the world but would have been a handy signing.
If that’s the case, so be it, there will be others I’m sure.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

NRL news: Wests Tigers offer Penrith Panthers player swap to sign Apisai Koroisau for 2022 season​

Under pressure for immediate success, Wests Tigers have made a sensational attempt to convince Penrith to release Api Koroisau to them in time for the 2022 season.

Dean Ritchie

4 min read
December 8, 2021 - 5:17PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

8 comments

Wests Tigers have reacted to their need for a fast start to the 2022 NRL season by trying to lure incoming hooker Apisai Koroisau to Concord a year early.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Wests approached premiers Penrith’s high-performance manager Matt Cameron to offer up either Jake Simpkin or Jacob Liddle – both emerging young hookers — in exchange for Koroisau.
Penrith took less than a minute to reject the daring proposal for the immediate player swap as they begin their chase for back-to-back grand final victories.

While Koroisau is still to be vaccinated, the Panthers recruitment committee – including Cameron, director Greg Alexander, head coach Ivan Cleary, assistants Cameron Ciraldo and Peter Wallace, CEO Brian Fletcher and chairman Dave O’Neill – discussed the offer but quickly declined it.
Panthers officials confirmed the move on Wednesday.
Api Koroisau will see out his contract at Penrith next season before joining the Tigers in 2023. Picture: Penrith Panthers

“Api’s not going anywhere in 2022,” said one source close to Penrith. “It didn’t really matter what Wests Tigers offered up. The decision was made quickly.”
Koroisau has signed with Wests Tigers from 2023 but the Concord club did try their luck by asking whether the NSW hooker would shift a year earlier.
After losing Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Tevita Pangai Jr, Kurt Capewell, Paul Momirovski and Tyrone May for 2022, the Panthers committee took just 60 seconds to knock back the Koroisau request.
Koroisau hasn’t agitated for a premature release.
While Simpkin or Liddle were offered, there is a suggestion Tigers forward and Panthers junior Shawn Blore was also mentioned.
In the club’s statement last Friday announcing Koroisau’s signing, Wests stressed “the 29-year-old Koroisau is contracted with the Penrith Panthers for the 2022 campaign”.
Jacob Liddle was offered to Penrith in a swap for Api Koroisau. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images

“Api’s the best in the business after winning the grand final with the Panthers. He’s a great signing for us and an indicator of where this club is heading,” Wests Tigers captain James Tamou said.
While delighted to have secured Koroisau for 2023, Wests officials are under pressure for immediate success and desperately need a strong start next season. Cameron refuses to return calls.
Wests Tigers had attempted to poach hooker Josh Hodgson from Canberra for next year, the move ultimately failing over a financial stalemate between the two clubs.
It does appear Liddle, who played a career-high 20 games in 2021, is on the outer at Concord.
Koroisau, 29, remains unvaccinated and has been told by club officials about the ramifications if he continues his anti-jab stance.
The star dummy half would miss four matches in Queensland and Victoria next season by refusing to be inoculated. He would be fined an undisclosed sum for each game missed, possibly a total of around $80,000.

Tigerm

First Grade

NRL news: Wests Tigers offer Penrith Panthers player swap to sign Apisai Koroisau for 2022 season​

Under pressure for immediate success, Wests Tigers have made a sensational attempt to convince Penrith to release Api Koroisau to them in time for the 2022 season.

Dean Ritchie

4 min read
December 8, 2021 - 5:17PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
8 comments

Wests Tigers have reacted to their need for a fast start to the 2022 NRL season by trying to lure incoming hooker Apisai Koroisau to Concord a year early.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Wests approached premiers Penrith’s high-performance manager Matt Cameron to offer up either Jake Simpkin or Jacob Liddle – both emerging young hookers — in exchange for Koroisau.
Penrith took less than a minute to reject the daring proposal for the immediate player swap as they begin their chase for back-to-back grand final victories.

While Koroisau is still to be vaccinated, the Panthers recruitment committee – including Cameron, director Greg Alexander, head coach Ivan Cleary, assistants Cameron Ciraldo and Peter Wallace, CEO Brian Fletcher and chairman Dave O’Neill – discussed the offer but quickly declined it.
Panthers officials confirmed the move on Wednesday.
Api Koroisau will see out his contract at Penrith next season before joining the Tigers in 2023. Picture: Penrith Panthers

“Api’s not going anywhere in 2022,” said one source close to Penrith. “It didn’t really matter what Wests Tigers offered up. The decision was made quickly.”
Koroisau has signed with Wests Tigers from 2023 but the Concord club did try their luck by asking whether the NSW hooker would shift a year earlier.
After losing Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Tevita Pangai Jr, Kurt Capewell, Paul Momirovski and Tyrone May for 2022, the Panthers committee took just 60 seconds to knock back the Koroisau request.
Koroisau hasn’t agitated for a premature release.
While Simpkin or Liddle were offered, there is a suggestion Tigers forward and Panthers junior Shawn Blore was also mentioned.
In the club’s statement last Friday announcing Koroisau’s signing, Wests stressed “the 29-year-old Koroisau is contracted with the Penrith Panthers for the 2022 campaign”.
Jacob Liddle was offered to Penrith in a swap for Api Koroisau. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images

“Api’s the best in the business after winning the grand final with the Panthers. He’s a great signing for us and an indicator of where this club is heading,” Wests Tigers captain James Tamou said.
While delighted to have secured Koroisau for 2023, Wests officials are under pressure for immediate success and desperately need a strong start next season. Cameron refuses to return calls.
Wests Tigers had attempted to poach hooker Josh Hodgson from Canberra for next year, the move ultimately failing over a financial stalemate between the two clubs.
It does appear Liddle, who played a career-high 20 games in 2021, is on the outer at Concord.
Koroisau, 29, remains unvaccinated and has been told by club officials about the ramifications if he continues his anti-jab stance.
The star dummy half would miss four matches in Queensland and Victoria next season by refusing to be inoculated. He would be fined an undisclosed sum for each game missed, possibly a total of around $80,000.
All bullshit I reckon.

gordsy

Juniors
The one minute rejection thing is a cheap shot. One thing about Sheens is we've had a lot less hammering in the press with him around. Be interesting to see if that carries through to season proper.

WA Tiger

Bench
I think it could be true.. far from nice but true…I like that we are tying hard to get it done, trying whatever it takes and not doing anything embarrassing..but if the positions were reversed we’d take prob less than a minute …there’s no point in letting api go if it’s going to seriously hamper their chance of 2 in a row..unless our offer turned heads, which it wouldn’t have

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
It’s just past decisions still coming back to haunt us around the 9 position. We just have to get into the fkn 8 next year however it’s done. I think we have the players we just need better defence maybe some creativity and also as important to instill some confidence into the players, Instead of just barking orders.

Last edited:
It’s just past decisions still coming back to haunt us around the 9 position. We just have to get into the fkn 8 this year however it’s done. I think we have the players we just need better defence maybe some creativity and also as important to instill some confidence into the players, Instead of just barking orders.
At this stage, were closer to 16th than 8th for 2022. Unless the Sheenius can entice a couple more players over

WA Tiger

Bench
At this stage, were closer to 16th than 8th for 2022. Unless the Sheenius can entice a couple more players over
I agree. But only if we have the unrestrained - cutting players off (communication wise) if they have a bad game, not really talking with players that need something from the coach unless the cameras are on them, probably dismissive of suggestions from assistant coaches about trying something new, tunnel vision with a train coming in the opposite direction, Madge.

Madge knows he’s being watched and it’s going to be tough for him, not being able to turn to the easy ways of dealing with problems and problem players etc He’s going to have to for the first time think about how that affects the team. Because that’s what sheens is looking at.

Unlike what air brushing Tamau says, next season will be far from plain sailing for Madge. Esp with two “won’t back down” Sheens and Madge Tigers going head to head when the shit hits the fan. What I’m sure of is there won’t be more of the same. To what degree?

If nothing else the players are going to be a little more relaxed with sheens around, keeping an eye on Madge

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Korisau signing is still a little strange to me. The obvious sign is that Liddle is being moved on which is fine with me, however Jake Simpkins will be 24 when Api finishes up, I cant imagine him being happy to play nsw cup/off the bench until then. I do wonder if the JF hooker Rua Ngatikaura has jumped him and they are now thinking he will be the longer term project? He can also play a bit of lock which gives some game time options. Then there is the Balmain SG Ball 9 who they signed for 3 years earlier this year. Still would be strange to give up on Simpkins at this stage.

Latest posts