What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Sensible action in releasing Hoffman, has never really made the case for an upgrade to main 17 squad and literally just a position filler until someone better comes along. Good kid but nothing special football wise. In releasing him, he gets a shot somewhere else, we get a spot to fill with someone better (hopefully).

Sensible action in releasing Hoffman, has never really made the case for an upgrade to main 17 squad and literally just a position filler until someone better comes along. Good kid but nothing special football wise. In releasing him, he gets a shot somewhere else, we get a spot to fill with someone better (hopefully).

Poor kid must have been confused watching players get constantly selected over him that weren’t performing.

I don’t think he was given enough opportunities.

On my calculations, to blood a player properly, it depends on the player, but a I’d say a solid 4 or 5 games Fg a season is a minimum.

Good luck to the kid and I hope we get a better player. The nrl is mentally tough.

Imagine a 3 way conversation about recruitment between anyone, how difficult it would be to agree..as it was with Madge Hartigan and Pascoe probably light years apart in values, temperaments, maybe league knowledge and lots more, trying to choose who to and not to recruit. They said Hartigan had the final say but he could have had pressure applied by Madge & Pascoe?

With these two, Sheens and McDonnell, having a mutual understanding and respect for each other, and who probably just click…and that has obviously worked in the past can only be a good thing. And being a couple of good old boys that have seen all there is to see, can’t hurt either

Quite interesting post WA.

It smells like a turd doesn't it.

Still we signed Papali and Koroisau post Sheens getting here.

Well that’s when it was announced.

We can’t be sure of when the groundwork was laid or the extent of Hartos earlier involvement.

Based on my knowledge, these are very difficult things to determine from the outside.

You may glean pieces here and there from interviews from players and then you may not.

I recall Api ripping us a new one in the game when BJ coat hangered Edwards. He’s like a sworn enemy of West Tigers, lifts against us, so it’s great to sign him.

I’m not prejudging McDonnell and co but hopefully we have the coaching infrastructure right. Theres a good interview with Nofo where he remarks on the changes.

Joffa is playing the clown, the boys seem happy and relaxed more than anything.

I think that’s promising.

No deathsquad one size fits all bootcamp this year please. The results were questionable.

Last edited:
I never have, and I don't think I ever will, understand how in the sweet f**k anyone can blame Pascoe for our on-field performances. If you look at everything he has done off-field then just that in itself is enough to warrant he is doing his job. At the end of the day, he is a businessman, not a footy expert. Appointing Sheens as our Head of Football was probably the best decision he has made so far in trying to resolve our on-field issues, and getting the COE built definitely won't hurt either.
He said in 2021 "I understand our core focus is winning games", we haven't had a winning Season(finishing in the top half of a 16 team Comp) since he's been in charge the last 7 season's. How isn't he accountable for on field success, were a f%*@£n sporting organisation.
Maybe if we make the Top 8 for profits we can celebrate.

I cant see him becoming a back rower which is what the Dogs are saying. Either way good luck to him

Good luck to Cini as well.

I remember when we had an under 23s and reserve grade and it was rare to get anyone under 23 playing in first grade.

People got nervous seeing 24 years old run out, wondering if they could handle the physicality of it.

Yet this modern business of the average career lasting the equivalent of 2 seasons is remarkable.

20 year olds getting pensioned off out of squads with 2 to 4 games under their belt.

Careers being all but over before they used to begin.

I read once, the male reaches his optimum strength and power at 27 or something, unless you introduce training etc.

And I could be wrong, but with a few notable exceptions, these much younger journeymen, they rarely seem to reach optimum and become marquee.

He said in 2021 "I understand our core focus is winning games", we haven't had a winning Season(finishing in the top half of a 16 team Comp) since he's been in charge the last 7 season's. How isn't he accountable for on field success, were a f%*@£n sporting organisation.
Maybe if we make the Top 8 for profits we can celebrate.

I think on his kpi, he should be on base or have his salary cut until we are competitive.

There’s enough change right now to give him the benefit but at a lower cost to us.

We should not have released Ivan. I don’t care about his wishes or his dumb kid.

If he wouldn’t coach us, we should have sued his arse off.

Madge arrives and despite doing his very best is unable to coach the side upwards.

I’ve criticised Madge as a coach, but for the record I should state, that I have done so without his side of the story, so the door is always ajar to change my mind until his side is told. I think that’s fair.

Obviously he has an argument or we wouldn’t have re-appointed him. Under our kgb system, we still don’t really know the underlying reasons as to why he was given another go.

We must be about the most secretive club in the comp.

I’m also not interested in a wealthy club, I’d rather have one just managing but winning games and taking care of members. The ticketing prices and organisation is a dogs breakfast.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
No doubt if he was quick we wouldn’t have let him go.No substitute for speed in outside backs & nobody knows that more than us tigers fans.Good luck to the kid re aspiring to lock down a top 17 spot elselsewhere
Has JAC been the only fast merkin we have had since the merger? I cannot think of another! Maybe kev?

I think on his kpi, he should be on base or have his salary cut until we are competitive.

There’s enough change right now to give him the benefit but at a lower cost to us.

We should not have released Ivan. I don’t care about his wishes or his dumb kid.

If he wouldn’t coach us, we should have sued his arse off.
TSP, my point is, he knows nothing about footy. He hired Ivan (one of his best mates) signs off on ridiculous contracts to Packer Reynolds and Mbye and didn't know Ivan was negotiating to return to Penrith. If you don't know what one of your best mates is doing, what hope do you have of knowing what the rest of the NRL is doing.

WA Tiger

Bench
TSP, my point is, he knows nothing about footy. He hired Ivan (one of his best mates) signs off on ridiculous contracts to Packer Reynolds and Mbye and didn't know Ivan was negotiating to return to Penrith. If you don't know what one of your best mates is doing, what hope do you have of knowing what the rest of the NRL is doing.
Pascoe has to have mafia links..there’s no other explanation why he’s still at the club. He hasn’t paid for his last shipment of meth, and the made man Lee with the mafia hat is keeping a close eye on him…From a reliable source, the latest and probably final warning from Lee ”Front up with the cash Pascoe or you will lose your only remaining role at the club. That is welcoming new recruits on the WT website”

Your points are well made and persuasive.

The recruiter gets sacked to take the fall and I think Pascoe even got struck off for awhile.

But once again, the old gentle back slap from Lee and the board and we go on our merry losing ways.

Pascoe promised we would never surrender and lying Ivan was texting players goodbye within the week.

The only silver lining was that we didn’t sign the likes of Tyrone May and Young Chin and foster a culture of knuckle dragging sex fiend felons and their perverted dribbling sick minded player supporters. That whole business was extremely poor and reflected very badly on the game.

At any rate, Nates shoulder is f**ked, the dogs have bought their side, and I think smug is over. The price the dogs had to pay was bringing Gus over. Mmmm…Perhaps Penrith got it right! At the end of the day, Gus is a champion tool.

And as we know, he was a private advisor to Madge.

Last edited: