What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Latest from the SMH

Surprise, surprise. He wants out of his contract for personal reasons.

"Sources with knowledge of the situation have told the Herald that Papali’i is keen to return to his home city of Auckland for family reasons. The 23-year-old’s partner, netballer Elle Temu, lives in New Zealand and the pair have been separated during the footballer’s two-year stint with the blue and golds."

Now the bad news for the Tigers that he and his partner never gave it any thought when he signed the contract. This argument wins out pretty much every time. Congrats to his manager for coming up with this gem.

The good news is " The Eels would like to retain Papali’i, but are resigned to losing him and are considering contingency plans."

Maybe a contingency plan would be let him go to the Warriors for a season and then return to the Eels for personal reasons.

Having said he doesn't want to make a decision until the end of the season so he can concentrate on footy he is now going to be mega distracted until it is finaly put to bed.

The whole thing is a bit of a joke that just is not funny.
I think the league could get in front of all this sh!t (and it happens both ways, with player reneging on clubs and clubs moving on players) by coming out and saying (once and for all) that they will never register a second contract for a player.

If Paps really does want to go back to Auckland they should let him go, but go find a job as a bricklayer. The Tigers shouldn’t have to let him go to play for a competitor….

Tigerm

First Grade
I think the league could get in front of all this sh!t (and it happens both ways, with player reneging on clubs and clubs moving on players) by coming out and saying (once and for all) that they will never register a second contract for a player.

If Paps really does want to go back to Auckland they should let him go, but go find a job as a bricklayer. The Tigers shouldn’t have to let him go to play for a competitor….
The only trouble with that idea is, as has been stated, we have let other players go as they were no longer needed?
f**k him, he plays here or we sue his arse so he can’t afford a trowel.

Last edited:
The only trouble with that idea is, as has been stated, we have let other players go as they were no longer needed?
f**k him, he plays here or we sue his arse.
I know you don’t want to hear this because you have had 10 years of hurt, but with or without Paps you are only scrapping for 9-12 place; maybe, if everything goes your way you sneak into the bottom half of the 8.

The next few years are about building for years 4-7; a fully motivated Paps helps that. But if he isn’t motivated, either sending him back to Auckland with his tail between his legs or play him in reggies is the best thing you can do for the medium to long term future for the club.

Wizardman

First Grade

Best idea I've read regarding this type of issue. We have put a lot into signing this bloke a long time ago under the rules and let some players go to have him. To simply let him go now when we have f**k all time to find a suitable replacement really f**ks us over and is extremely unfair.
This is one time our club cannot roll over. If he refuses to come over, let the merkin sit out of rugby league for the duration of his contract. Yes, it will cause us some pain but any other prospective player will think twice before pulling the same shit that Papallii is trying to.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm honestly happy to lose the 500k on our salary cap and let him play in reserves. Consider it an investment to stop this bullshit continuing. If we let it happen it will happen again and f**k us 10x harder.

Also, I think the NRL need an undercover sting operation into this shit. When Papali'i asks to leave for Warriors on companionate grounds, tell him that he can actually sign for Parramatta due to some sort of technicality if he would rather. When he then decides to sign for Parramatta, tear up his contract and ban him and his manager from NRL for 3 years. Why? Because you lied to the NRL, the Tigers and made a mockery of the whole system. I don't think we would see many more backflips after that.

All that being said I hope this is all a load of crap and he comes to the Tigers and loves it. He does seem like a good bloke

Pezz70

Juniors
Well, it should be, he plays here or no where for 3 years, but who knows, though it’s all sounding positive again?
Agree though, Parra should be investigated to see if they are trying to coerce him to break his contract?
I reckon they should penalise the club encouraging the breach of contract, say yeah ok you can have him but you pay us what we were willing to pay him ie:600k a season for the length of the contract and it comes off your cap. No team would dare negotiate and players would think about their commitments

Last edited:
The feeling is mutual with that merkin.
He is the most dead boring of the clusterfek of the nrl media commentators.

Another braid dead ex player matey flippity gibber promoted beyond his competencies.

I get the feeling he drives a massive luxury SUV and is one of those turkeys who can’t park it properly.

I visited the shire once and saw a crazed drunken slob jumping on the roof of one of them. No one seemed to care. We just drove past waving.

Someone told me @stryker buddy drives a monster luxury Land Cruiser with all the bells and whistles. Automatic eco-laser nose hair manicure function.

He wouldn’t care where he parked anyway I suppose.

Last edited:

Trollhammaren

Juniors
It's alright. If he reneges, that just means we get Luciano, Garner, and Tuilagi back on our books right?

Not one of these merkin journos have pointed out that letting a player renege nearly a year after signing a contract will throw our roster completely out of whack for at least a couple of years. There are no comparable backrowers available we could sign at this stage.

Old Mate's manager (and Parra) can get stuffed.

It's alright. If he reneges, that just means we get Luciano, Garner, and Tuilagi back on our books right?

Not one of these merkin journos have pointed out that letting a player renege nearly a year after signing a contract will throw our roster completely out of whack for at least a couple of years. There are no comparable backrowers available we could sign at this stage.

Old Mate's manager (and Parra) can get stuffed.
Players drive trucks through our contracts all the time.

WA Tiger

Bench
Benji looked soft on the paps issue on Nrl 360..”Players don’t always stick to their contract tho do they” First test - Fail.!!.. Lee won’t budge tho. He’s freakin dying to take someone to court.. I heard the magic words “we are enjoying the Legally binding contract with paps”

Latest posts