What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

simmo05

Bench
Best idea I've read regarding this type of issue. We have put a lot into signing this bloke a long time ago under the rules and let some players go to have him. To simply let him go now when we have f**k all time to find a suitable replacement really f**ks us over and is extremely unfair.
This is one time our club cannot roll over. If he refuses to come over, let the merkin sit out of rugby league for the duration of his contract. Yes, it will cause us some pain but any other prospective player will think twice before pulling the same shit that Papallii is trying to.
We should have started it with Moses. It would not have happened another 3 times then

simmo05

Bench
I reckon they should penalise the club encouraging the breach of contract, say yeah ok you can have him but you pay is what we were willing to pay him ie:600k a season for the length of the contract and it comes off your cap. No team would dare negotiate and players would think about their commitments
It's the obvious solution. Parra should be fingered by the nrl for this garbage. Moses, matterflog, and now papalii. Surely the nrl can see a pattern?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Any news on Hastings re-signing? I'm worried we might have another situation on a player wanting to leave due to Madge's axing.

We need to finally put our foot down over this mess. If management release him they should be hung from the nearest yard arm. If he doesn't turn up on day 1 then I'd not pay him and sue him for breach of contract. If he went out and got a job I'd sue him again for breach of contract. and so on and so forth......

Hoofhearted

Juniors

Tigers target ex-Raiders star Bateman as Sheens gets creative with roster overhaul​

James Hooper

James Hooper from Fox Sports
August 10th, 2022 6:17 pm
The Wests Tigers have made an inquiry with Wigan about the prospect of bringing 2019 Dally M Backrower of the Year John Bateman back to the NRL in 2023.
In a move unrelated to Isaiah Papali’i having second thoughts about switching from Parramatta to Concord next year, Tigers director of football Tim Sheens has confirmed the club has made the approach.
The catch is going to be Bateman is under contract with Wigan until at least the end of 2024 and for now the Warriors have blocked the Tigers move.

Bateman was one of the standout backrowers in the NRL the year the Canberra Raiders made the grand final in 2019 before his tenure in the national capital soured over a contract stalemate with the Green Machine.
Bateman then returned home to the UK at the end of the 2020 NRL season after inking a four-year deal with Wigan through until the end of 2024.
The Raiders were forced to pay a $250,000 transfer fee to Wigan to bring Bateman to the NRL the first time around but the one bonus with transfer fees to English clubs is they aren’t included in the NRL clubs salary cap.

The Bateman approach is creative thinking from Sheens trying to look outside the square and devise recruitment ploys aimed at overhauling the Wests Tigers roster.
The Tigers have made some recruitment moves this week by re-signing Brent Naden, Asu Kepoa and Starford To’a but the real recruitment space where they need to get busy is the re-signing of Adam Doueihi.
Doueihi is easily the Tigers best player, a local junior and the type of leader the Wests Tigers need to build the club around.
With Sheens and Benji Marshall now having control of the steering wheel at least it won’t be left to dithering management types to make another misguided mistake.

The issue with Doueihi is he’s going to be a free agent as of November 1 and you can guarantee rival clubs are going to be getting the queue to try and convince the five-eighth to switch allegiances.
The Tigers need to sharpen their pencil and try and get a long-term deal done now prior to the stronger clubs being able to table a deal.
The Melbourne Storm have already had one crack at getting Doueihi on loan for the remainder of this year and with uncertainty surrounding the future of Cameron Munster the Tigers five-eighth would make an ideal replacement.

Pezz70

Juniors
I know you don’t want to hear this because you have had 10 years of hurt, but with or without Paps you are only scrapping for 9-12 place; maybe, if everything goes your way you sneak into the bottom half of the 8.

The next few years are about building for years 4-7; a fully motivated Paps helps that. But if he isn’t motivated, either sending him back to Auckland with his tail between his legs or play him in reggies is the best thing you can do for the medium to long term future for the club.
Tigers with Papalii and Korisau fit all year will make the 8

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I wish Anasta had backflipped as well. Useless overrated merkin.
He actually did state one of the reasons he shouldn't have come was he believed he didn't offer us anything and Sheens had sold it as more of a mentoring role, when Sheens left all of that changed so he believed he didn't offer us what we needed, fair play if you ask me.

From post #16.130
but the real recruitment space where they need to get busy is the re-signing of Adam Doueihi.
Doueihi is easily the Tigers best player, a local junior and the type of leader the Wests Tigers need to build the club around.

Really, Tigers best player! Potentially but Hastings must be the priority first and foremost.

NOW | @RLPlayers
CEO Clint Newton on Isaiah Papali'i contract saga: "We have told him and his management team to honour the contract...our expectations of players and also clubs is that they honour their contracts."

From twitter,
Well said Clint, however like you said 'our expectations' meaning, nothing you can actually do about it and as you are the players union, you do look after the players 1st.

Shredder

Juniors
I try yo be positive, but its hard with this lot. Thats why Ive been a bit quiet lately.

I think (hope) that the reason we are announcing the extensions is that we are sorting out our cap position to offer AD and Hastings good, fair and long contracts. I cant deal with the thought that we are going to let them be go on the open market.

I have zero expectations for new high ticket signings, just dont want to lose those two guys.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If Papali'i doesn't backflip, Hastings and Doeuihi are re-signed to long term deals and we sign a decent back rower (ie Bateman), the we are actually a very competitive side when everyone is fully fit:

1. Laurie
2. Nofa
3. To'a
4. Naden
5. Malo
6. Doeuihi
7. Brooks
8. Tamou
9. Api
10. Offa
11. Bateman*
12. Papali'i
13. Hastings

14. Twal
15. Stefano
16. Pole
17. Brown/Blore etc etc

If Brooks decides to leave, or we have to move him on to accommodate Hastings at 7 (and keep Madden as backup), then use Brooks "big" money to go after a marquee centre, even if on overs.

We really aren't far off, just need to make sure this whole thing doesn't unravel with this whole Papali'i nonsens

Latest posts