What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

simmo1

First Grade
The game certainly has changed since the 80's, commentators talk up the exploits of recently retired players like Johns and Thurston etc. yet seem to overlook the achievements of former players like Kenny and Sterling, who helped their team dominate for the best part of a decade.

The 80s & 90s crew didn't just dominate for their club teams either. They dominated at international level too. Thurston, Slater, Smith etc dropped more than their fair share of games & tournaments v Kiwis.

Shredder

Juniors
I think the tragedy is these poor blokes from the golden years seeing how much money these numpties mate now.

Could you imagine Steve Price's reaction to Mitch Moses making $1mln a year?

Blokes that played broken for nothing more than pride.

Tigerm

First Grade

TIGERS’ $350K BATEMAN CALL

In other news, it looks like the Tigers have made a decision on their pursuit of former Raiders second rower John Bateman.

This year’s wooden spooners were eyeing a move for Bateman but have pulled out according to The Daily Telegraph, refusing to pay Wigan the $350,000 transfer fee it is after.

Fox League’s James Hooper reported back in August that the Tigers had made an inquiry about bringing the 2019 Dally M Backrower of the Year back to the NRL next year.

It was a move unrelated to Isaiah Papali’i having second thoughts about switching from Parramatta to Concord, with Tigers director of football Tim Sheens confirming the approach.

As Hooper reported at the time though, Wigan refused to release Bateman without the Tigers paying a transfer fee given he was under contract until at least the end of 2024.

The Tigers though refused to budge and will instead be hoping Papali’i honours his deal and will join the club next season.

Not sure what that last comment is about? We should not be hoping, we should be expecting.

Wizardman

First Grade
I’m meant to be excited about the Paps signing but he keeps proving how much of a tool he is..

hopefully he’s just playing with the media, if so well played. If not f**k him
Paul Kent apparently talked to Pascoe off air about the Papallii situation. He asked him what will they do if Papallii does not turn up for pre-season training. Pascoe replied that Papallii will be sitting out for three years.

While I don't believe that Pascoe will fully keep to his word, I do bloody well hope he does. The club needs to take a stand here and be strong in this situation. In this case, I do believe that Papalli is not enthused about the idea of coming to us. There have been many opportunities to nip this issue in the bud....but the story still has legs.

As I said earlier, Pascoe needs to take a very strong stand here. Cash or player depth compensation just does not cut it here......nevermind an offer for an inferior player like Nathan Brown (which I dead set fear could happen). We need to either
1. Sit his ass out of RL for three years

OR

2. Get a player deal where we get a star as a replacement which suits our needs as a club.

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Paul Kent apparently talked to Pascoe off air about the Papallii situation. He asked him what will they do if Papallii does not turn up for pre-season training. Pascoe replied that Papallii will be sitting out for three years.

While I don't believe that Pascoe will fully keep to his word, I do bloody well hope he does. The club needs to take a stand here and be strong in this situation. In this case, I do believe that Papalli is not enthused about the idea of coming to us. There have been many opportunities to nip this issue in the bud....but the story still has legs.

As I said earlier, Pascoe needs to take a very strong stand here. Cash or player depth compensation just does not cut it here......nevermind an offer for an inferior player like Nathan Brown (which I dead set fear could happen). We need to either
1. Sit his ass out of RL for three years

OR

2. Get a player deal where we get a star as a replacement which suits our needs as a club.
I would get satisfaction out of seeing him sit out for 3 years but like you I’m not particularly confident that would happen

my guess is we’d get compensated, be told bad luck and be forced to move on. That’s just what I’ve come to expect haha

Tigerm

First Grade

‘That boat has sailed’: Tigers’ Papali’i saga over;​

Tigers fans can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed that star forward Isaiah Papali’i will honour his deal and link up with the Tigers next season.

It means Sunday’s grand final will be the 24-year-old’s final one in the blue and gold before making the move, hoping to go out a premiership winner.

“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur told News Corp.

“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.

“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali’i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.

“He is going and I wish him well.”

BrotherJim05

Bench

‘That boat has sailed’: Tigers’ Papali’i saga over;​

Tigers fans can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed that star forward Isaiah Papali’i will honour his deal and link up with the Tigers next season.

It means Sunday’s grand final will be the 24-year-old’s final one in the blue and gold before making the move, hoping to go out a premiership winner.

“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur told News Corp.

“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.

“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali’i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.

“He is going and I wish him well.”
Good. Let's put this to bed and welcome him to the club.

Looking forward to seeing him rip in

I would get satisfaction out of seeing him sit out for 3 years but like you I’m not particularly confident that would happen

my guess is we’d get compensated, be told bad luck and be forced to move on. That’s just what I’ve come to expect haha
He more than likely would have used some legal firm to sue the Tigers for restraint of trade.

On the day of the hearing the head of that legal firm, a guy called Lee Hagipantelis gets told of the days hearings and goes ballistic. Sacks the law experience lawyer, a pawa fan, sacks the Tigers CEO and counter sues the player & the Eels.