What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
News Corp just love to keep a story going !!

‘Wouldn’t play with him’: Rumours of bitter feud before Jackson Hastings’ Tigers exit​

It has been revealed a rumoured feud between Jackson Hastings and Wests Tigers’ star recruit John Bateman led to the halfback’s sudden exit.

A rumoured feud between Knights playmaker Jackson Hastings and off-season recruit John Bateman may have been a factor in the halfback’s departure from the Wests Tigers.
Hastings, 27, left for the Hunter in a swap deal with prop David Klemmer joining Tim Sheens and the Tigers for 2023.

Hastings and Bateman played a season together in the Super League for Wigan Warriors in 2021 and reportedly didn’t see eye-to-eye.

Then when news began circling Bateman was set to return to the NRL — he apparently made one thing clear to Sheens, Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.

“The funny thing was as soon as we got wind that Bateman was going there, I got told that he wouldn’t play with Jackson Hastings,” the Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley said on NRL 360.

“I inquired about that story and I got told that Hastings didn’t have a problem with Bateman, but I am pretty sure the other way around was an issue.

“And so following that about a week later, Jackson ends up in Newcastle and there you go. But there’s no issues....”

NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent added: “Bateman and Hastings were teammates at Wigan and didn’t get on there, to the point where Hastings left.”

The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio also explained Hastings’ outward support of embattled coach Michael Maguire also led to his departure from the merger club.

“I think Jackson’s quite vocal support of Michael Maguire as well through that turbulent period, also played a role in, I wouldn’t say his departure, but his perception within the club,” Riccio said.

“Certainly that’s eventually led to his exit.”

Hastings was also shifted to lock during the back-end of his stint with the Tigers, while he is currently wearing the No.7 jersey for the Knights.

The former Man of Steel said that is his preferred position but made it clear he doesn’t “have anything to prove to anyone” ahead of this week’s clash with the Tigers.

“For me it is just another game, it is a club I played for… a club I thought I was going to be at for a long period of time,” Hastings said on Tuesday.

“Ultimately I ended up at the Knights which I am very grateful for too… I don’t play to prove anything to anyone besides myself and my teammates.

“It doesn’t matter, I’m not there… I don’t have anything to prove to anyone.”

NRL360 host Braith Anasta isn’t buying it and is certain it is a grudge match for Hastings who makes up a new-look Newcastle spine with Kalyn Ponga and Lachie Miller.

“I love his attitude, I love what he says, but I don’t believe it,” Anasta said.

“He would want to win against his old club, who didn’t really want him, or supposedly.”
Rumours, just love em.

Fordy20

Juniors
Just another reason to have the shits with board sacking Madge. Not only did that guarantee we missed out on Frizell and Crichton, but it also meant we had to punt Hastings, a much better organiser than either Brooks or Doueihi, just so we could accommodate Bateman.

stryker

First Grade
Hahaha, this is from the Avenger poster from the Eels, after Fridays game, but only a week or so ago on our site, was sprouting how good it was to keep Moses? Love it.

Couldn’t care less if Moses went to the Tigers now. Whatever we have offered, probably the largest in our history to a confirmed downhill skier who has less clutch than Fred Flinstone’s car is enough. And I’d also be insisting on 4 years maximum.”

Theres an old saying that you don’t see the problems, until you start losing.
Hahaha. What a clueless dickhead lol

Tigerm

First Grade
I tend to believe this one though.
They don't have to love each other, it's a professional sport, the money these blokes are making is substantial, I just don't believe that anyone would make that a condition of employment. But it does sell newspapers.

WA Tiger

Bench
They don't have to love each other, it's a professional sport, the money these blokes are making is substantial, I just don't believe that anyone would make that a condition of employment. But it does sell newspapers.
They’ve had flare ups I think at 2 clubs over in England .. nothing worse than going to work every day with that person not going away ..There’s usually always one, but this sounds pretty serious..Hastings does seem to leave a trail of putting peoples noses out of joint. i think it’s a fair request, you want to enjoy your work ..And it is good reading

Das Hassler

Bench

‘Should really annoy fans’: Tigers under fire over Bateman mixed messages amid injury conspiracy​

Now a conspiracy rumour, it just keeps getting better.

It doesn't annoy this fan....to quote a one size fits all bearded guru..."it iz whad it iz"
A fit and fired up Hateman coming into the mix after a few weeks might work out well

It doesn’t really matter.

Cagey Tim might have wanted other clubs to think he could be playing in any given week.

The “ scandal” answers a few of my questions about why he’s not being rushed in.

But nothing we can do about it.

Nothing surprises me anymore. We aren’t accountable, so no use complaining.

I’d like us to win and improve though and if we are, I don’t care about all the skulduggery, intrigue and playing at being ASIO.

More like “Get Smart” to me.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
It doesn't annoy this fan....to quote a one size fits all bearded guru..."it iz whad it iz"
A fit and fired up Hateman coming into the mix after a few weeks might work out well
He’ll lace up the same weekend Munster returns at AAMI Park.
He wont have as big of an impact.

stryker

First Grade
Just watched that mistake Doueihi made playing the ball. He immediately realizes it was just rubbish so decides to feign a leg cramp to cover it up then as other players rush in his cramp dissapears like magic and he jumps to his feet and runs in.

100%
I was filthy at the time as both things he did ran the clock down.
Just dumb play.