What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

MugaB

Coach
Would have to pay overs to get Wighton. Team still needs a FB, and more importantly, a general.

Bula is possibly the FB. If he comes through, that'll be cheap. Club needs to make the call if he's the one and develop him properly.

There are no halves coming through the club as far as I'm aware.

He seems to have social issues, but from a game perspective, Hastings was a HB who organised and created tries with an inferior forward pack. This season, Tigers are easily top 10 in forwards metres and post contact metres metrics. There is just no one there who can direct the play and execute something on 4th and 5th tackles.

Williams a better get for mine. He's an organiser which the club crucially needs.
Tigers are also top 17 in attack and top 17 in competition points

Phil Gould

Juniors
Wighton has a strong bond with Ricky that would take a lot to break I reckon. He’s not the game organizer the tigers need but would be a huge get. Although, things are at the stage where it seems they could pretty much buy any two free halves and it would be an improvement.

Haven't we learnt from Braith Anasta, Russell Packer and the rest of the ready for retirement signings over the years?

Very true, but what is the major issue with the Tigers, it is the fact that Brooks is not a team manager and certainly not a talker, organiser of the team. If Williams wasn't available, if there is no 'next best thing' since, well Luke Brooks, coming through the ranks, I certainly agree with.
Put it this was, I would take Pearce over Johnson, Flanagan or Brooks in a heartbeat.
Except for the fact that he is 33 now, not 28, 29 or 30. But he's 5 years younger that Benji and I'm sure he could do a better job that Brooks.

Tigerm

First Grade

BREAKING: Wests Tigers chasing Mitchell Pearce in drastic bid to save season​

Shit, f**k and any other expletive you wish to add. Someone would have to be moved on, they couldn't afford both surely.

"The Wests Tigers initially looked at trying to bring Pearce, 33, to the club prior to Christmas before the negotiations cooled".

Interesting, reading between the lines, does this look like there was already concerns about Brooks at the end of the last season.

MugaB

Coach

"The Wests Tigers initially looked at trying to bring Pearce, 33, to the club prior to Christmas before the negotiations cooled".

Interesting, reading between the lines, does this look like there was already concerns about Brooks at the end of the last season.
Jesus, when it rains, it pours!!!

Tigerm

First Grade
If the tigers think Pearce is the answer they are in more trouble than I thought .silverdale will be will be clinging to Ivan’s bus opining Ivan let’s him on
Well, we are in trouble, and I am laying the blame on our halves, we gotta try something? Not sure about Pearce, but anyone with a bit of ability would be better than our current 7.

Very true, but what is the major issue with the Tigers, it is the fact that Brooks is not a team manager and certainly not a talker, organiser of the team. If Williams wasn't available, if there is no 'next best thing' since, well Luke Brooks, coming through the ranks, I certainly agree with.

Except for the fact that he is 33 now, not 28, 29 or 30. But he's 5 years younger that Benji and I'm sure he could do a better job that Brooks.

I said he’s a stopgap for a year or two. The halfbacks on the market this year are all pretty ordinary, so if you get Pearce for a year or so then you can have a crack at a halfback who is good enough to get get us where we want to go.

Tigerm

First Grade
I said he’s a stopgap for a year or two. The halfbacks on the market this year are all pretty ordinary, so if you get Pearce for a year or so then you can have a crack at a halfback who is good enough to get get us where we want to go.
But it only works if you let the current bloke go and that is the problem as there no guarantee it would be the case.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Tragic.
If Pearce did come he would be 34 years old at least and that is considered by the 360 panel as our best option, A very clear statement of what a mess the Tigers are in.

They also say Brooks would be worth $500 k on the open market but no one would sign him. We on the other hand won't drop him. Having said that I now fall into the category of being a "so called Tigers fan" according to Sheens.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
That story was short lived.

Former NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce has confirmed he rejected an offer for a long-awaited “homecoming” at the Wests Tigers.

The son of Balmain’s favourite son Wayne Pearce was approached by assistant coach Benji Marshall earlier this week about potentially returning to the NRL.

Pearce, who turns 34, next week, is embarking on his second season with Catalans in the Super League after leaving Newcastle at the end of 2021.

Pearce told NewsCorp that “I don’t really have much to say. Benji called me yesterday and I told him I’m contracted to Catalans.

“We are top of the table and I want to win a comp in Super League. That’s pretty much it.”

Interesting that it was Benji who approached MP, not the coach.

So Benji (and RF when you watch last weeks game) can see there's an issue but not the coach. Or did Sheens simply delegate the job?

It's neck and neck in the 2 horse race between Sheens & Griffin to see who gets the flick 1st. If it's Griffin, I'd be chasing Ben Hunt.

But it only works if you let the current bloke go and that is the problem as there no guarantee it would be the case.
Agreed. Brooks is off contract. If you Pearce for 23 and 24, then you let Brooks go.

Knowing us though, we will sign Pearce on a 2 year deal, then that we have no halves beyond 2024 so we sign Brooks on a 4 year contract on $850k a year and talk about how much potential he has.

Das Hassler

Bench
I've never been much of a fan of Pierce but then again I've never been much of a fan of Chad Townsend either but seeing what a change can do it's entirely possible he could have connected the dots for us ...I can understand him not wanting to come back and I don't think it has too much to do with WT

Latest posts