What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Runciman returns

possm

Coach
Agree . The JDB thing is a real problem . He is a absolute moron for putting himself in that situation regardless if he is guilty or not .
Does anybody know if he can play after the hearing ?. He will enter a not guilty plea then you would think it goes to trial latter in the year . So does he play while waiting or not ?

A good lawyer would negotiate a withdrawal of the complaint and as part of a settlement.

hewi

Bench
I don't know how he could play if the trial was later in the year, the mental strain would be enormous either way, and most of all we still have a duty of care to him until then. Playing him could be a disaster both on a mental toll and physical toll, especially if crowds start to give it to him big time, the risk of him "losing" it is very real. The only out at this point would be if the defendant retracts all charges and complaints.

I think you will find that this now has a life of its own and that the charges remain even if the complaint is withdrawn. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I think you will find that this now has a life of its own and that the charges remain even if the complaint is withdrawn. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
Think you are right . That is what has happened with the Walker case . I am just wondering where the club and NRL stand if JDB wants to play after pleading innocent .

hewi

Bench
Think you are right . That is what has happened with the Walker case . I am just wondering where the club and NRL stand if JDB wants to play after pleading innocent .

IMO the presumption of innocence remains until proven otherwise and therefore he should be allowed to play. The reality is that many many people will think otherwise. He will be ostracised and humiliated. It will be a very difficult time for him and I wish him all the best.

TruSaint

Referee
IMO the presumption of innocence remains until proven otherwise and therefore he should be allowed to play. The reality is that many many people will think otherwise. He will be ostracised and humiliated. It will be a very difficult time for him and I wish him all the best.

Im no lawyer, but cannot see how he could possibly play with this matter going to trial.

He has the presumption of innocence, we all agree on that.

Club should provide him with his pay, support and let the court determine his destiny. I don't think he will or should play until the case is finalised.

BLM01

First Grade
So many are happy with the mature reggies signings and TBH you have to have a couple in your squad but we attract them blow flies to shit.
Just looking at the backs
Maranta, Runciman are now on the payroll so have to play somewhere.
You have 2 wing spots and 3 contenders Pearson, Ravalawa, Pereira so 1 of those will be in ISP but supposedly knocking on the door for 1st grade but on the other wing we have Maranta so how does a junior get a look in and what good does a mature age reggies winger really do for you especiallly if he is 4th or 5th choice to go to 1sts? You may as well commit that spot to an up and comer or maybe eye off a couple of them and rotate them in and out.
That scenario also applies to the centres Lafai, Aitken and Lomax contending so one to ISP but that player is supposedly 1st grade quality but Runciman holds the other centre spot so again how does a junior get a look in or in fact get the required game time against men to improve him?
In fact if Lomax is a 1st grade winger then the scenario is even worse for young wingers with 2 of the 3 original contenders going back to ISP so where does Maranta go then?
FB potentially the same dilemma if Norman or Widdop play FB in 1sts where to for Dufty as he would be the next logical choice if we needed a 1st grade FB due to injury. So he gets the spot in ISP but if Field is to be the anointed one for FB then how is that all going to work because if Dufty stays in 1sts we have 3 high priced halves with 2 spots available so Norman to bench (maybe) but hardly good utilisation.
So IMO if we have to have the mature reggies player because that is the best way forward then we should have cleaned out a few more of our juniors that they think won't make it (obviously the thought process as to the procurement of the mature reggies players) but even allowing for that where do the likes of Masters, Field if FB, Sailor etc actually get a gig in ISP so as to see if they will make it to 1sts?
Sounds all too familiar to me let a lone discussing the pros & cons of Allgood, Latimore and now Buchanan in the forward pack.
What you have to remember at this stage forget about Runciman, Buchanan as not in our Top 30, Maranta dont worry about either as He is filling a number for emergency
I hope and believe outside those contenders you mention they will go to people like Saab, Field, Sailor, Marsters. Haydn Lomax (lock) before some of those others. Throw them in the deep end if needed for a game or two, chop and change if they dont handle it. It will do em and our depth wonders. They dont have to play long minutes or games in a row, give em taste and leave the others to ISP like the Runciman & Marantas unless they too spring out of the box. I dont think it is all that bad if that was the plan. It would be mine if I think they have 1st grade written all over them. We do it in CRL and sometimes kids just shine, although their bodies are not ready for week in week out stuff yet..

possm

Coach
What you have to remember at this stage forget about Runciman, Buchanan as not in our Top 30, Maranta dont worry about either as He is filling a number for emergency
I hope and believe outside those contenders you mention they will go to people like Saab, Field, Sailor, Marsters. Haydn Lomax (lock) before some of those others. Throw them in the deep end if needed for a game or two, chop and change if they dont handle it. It will do em and our depth wonders. They dont have to play long minutes or games in a row, give em taste and leave the others to ISP like the Runciman & Marantas unless they too spring out of the box. I dont think it is all that bad if that was the plan. It would be mine if I think they have 1st grade written all over them. We do it in CRL and sometimes kids just shine, although their bodies are not ready for week in week out stuff yet..

A very risky strategy if the aim is to win as many games as possible. In my view our recruitment and pathways system needs to be reviewed and the principle of funding our first grade team with the best possible squad that can fit under the cap should be front and centre. Then comes depth and development.

We have so many depth and development players that are not at first grade standard and very little suitable depth.

It is OK to go for cheapies but first recruit/promote players who are genuine first grade players and lose/demote those who failed last season. It will be only then that we have a reliable squad who understand that poor form or poor performance could result in a stint in ISP.

gitano

Juniors
I personally would like to wish Runciman well in his ambition to grab the 30th spot and possible partner Lomax in the centres. If he can get fit and show some speed in attack and solid defence, he and Lomax may end up being a cracking centre pairing.
He's not up to it possm.
A lot hinges on Silverman and Lomax and their development. Silver's is a gun and could even play NRL this year. Is he even 18 yet?

possm

Coach
He's not up to it possm.
A lot hinges on Silverman and Lomax and their development. Silver's is a gun and could even play NRL this year. Is he even 18 yet?

Thanks. I know very little about Silverman, is he in our top 30 and if not, do you believe he will be the one to take up that position? I love to see a young backline with speed directed by Widdop from fullback in 2019.

gitano

Juniors
Thanks. I know very little about Silverman, is he in our top 30 and if not, do you believe he will be the one to take up that position? I love to see a young backline with speed directed by Widdop from fullback in 2019.
He's not in the top 30 at this stage. I think he'll play ISP mostly, it would surprise nobody if he played NRL this year though. He's a superstar

possm

Coach
He's not in the top 30 at this stage. I think he'll play ISP mostly, it would surprise nobody if he played NRL this year though. He's a superstar

It seems like we have quite a few centres in our ISP ranks.

BLM01

First Grade
A very risky strategy if the aim is to win as many games as possible. In my view our recruitment and pathways system needs to be reviewed and the principle of funding our first grade team with the best possible squad that can fit under the cap should be front and centre. Then comes depth and development.

We have so many depth and development players that are not at first grade standard and very little suitable depth.

It is OK to go for cheapies but first recruit/promote players who are genuine first grade players and lose/demote those who failed last season. It will be only then that we have a reliable squad who understand that poor form or poor performance could result in a stint in ISP.
No it is no more risk than what we are doing currently. Young players when given a chance and those with arrogance with pros around them just excel and show they are up to it.
If the kids excel our depth problems are solved but you have to take a punt or good coaching eyes already know those that could and would handle it. Do ours know how to judge and bring em through up to speed. Time will tell. Every team needs cheapies you need for emergency situations and the club are trying to get the best possible squad under a cap.
The way salaries are going you need a minimum of $3.5-$3.6 mill out of $10 mill for your spine.
That leaves $6.4 for 26 players = $246K per player. The average wage now is $341K. Not easy even allowing each player has a 100K car allowance not included.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, both Runicman and Buchanan are not eligible to play 1st grade. They have been signed to part-time contracts only.
You need to retract those 2 from your argument.
I'm not suggesting they will play 1st grade.
I'm stating the fact that they are taking up valuable space in ISP which is where our youth are supposed to progress to the next level.
With the inclusion of Runciman & Buchanan that is 2 spots less for youth to get their shot at pressing for 1st grade whether it be this year or next.
Simple maths, if the total squad is 30 then 17 or 18 are NRL then the remaining 13 are ISP.
If ISP have 17 spots on game day and 13 are already taken from the 30 man squad overflow and on top of that you have Maranta, Runciman & Buchanan that means 16 spots are already taken so where are the spots for the up and comers other than when injury occurs?

BLM01

First Grade
I'm not suggesting they will play 1st grade.
I'm stating the fact that they are taking up valuable space in ISP which is where our youth are supposed to progress to the next level.
With the inclusion of Runciman & Buchanan that is 2 spots less for youth to get their shot at pressing for 1st grade whether it be this year or next.
Simple maths, if the total squad is 30 then 17 or 18 are NRL then the remaining 13 are ISP.
If ISP have 17 spots on game day and 13 are already taken from the 30 man squad overflow and on top of that you have Maranta, Runciman & Buchanan that means 16 spots are already taken so where are the spots for the up and comers other than when injury occurs?
They are and will be already playing ISP as part of that 17 man ISP team or 1st grade. You cant have all youth in 1st grade or ISP either as you have said, you need some old hard heads so to speak, it has to be a balance. Underperformers of 1st's get dropped. Youth gets a shot or best performers in ISP. Simple and can work and should be that way

Old Timer

Coach
Too much filler and not enough growth.
My response to Dragaonslayer IMO shows the deficiencies in the strategy of all the mature depth players.

BLM01

First Grade
Too much filler and not enough growth.
My response to Dragaonslayer IMO shows the deficiencies in the strategy of all the mature depth players.
What do you mean too much filler. You need some. All our best youth will be playing ISP or 1st grade.so will get a shot...I dont know how you are justifying and understand your complaint.
Some of best Jersey Flegg kids earmarked are too raw, unfit for the contact and small even for ISP at this stage but will have a year to work on that.
Watch Mat Head's interview. That will tell you we have a lot of youth in his squad. The part time filler you whinge about in ISP have more experience than the filler we had in 2018 which and have now been discarded. I do not know anyone who wont get a shot this year.
You need part time filler because the budget for ISP is low. Some of these Top 30 youth are on good money.
Your beef is with people like Lattimore, Allgood and Maranta potentially taking a 1st grade spot off a kid but that wont be the case as all will be able to prove themselves in 2 grades this year.
I agree...Mary / Head needs to ensure they are and as many on here say players should be promoted / relegated for performances.
Runciman is only part time anyway
The problem is with the NRL and Under 20's being the pathways for ISP / 1st grade. In a lot of cases it is too young and some are not ready for the step up at 19.or 20 (especially forwards) except the rare 1-2% that are. It would make sense to be Under 23's like it used to be.

Last edited: