What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Runciman returns

possm

Coach
I agree! Under 23s then reserve grade then first grade just like it used to be. SGI should sign up juniors on scholarships prior to the age of 20. From then on they can progress through grade via 23s, reserve grade or even first grade if they are good enough.

possm

Coach
Forget Silverman for 2019. Yes he looks to be a talent but you have no idea how he will go against men.
Silverman should be in our plans for 2020/21. No rush with this kid.
I'd rather a Lomax/Silverman centre combo than an Aitken/Lafai one.

Old Timer

Coach
They are and will be already playing ISP as part of that 17 man ISP team or 1st grade. You cant have all youth in 1st grade or ISP either as you have said, you need some old hard heads so to speak, it has to be a balance. Underperformers of 1st's get dropped. Youth gets a shot or best performers in ISP. Simple and can work and should be that way
When you get a chance can you pick a 1st grade side and then an ISP side and make sure you pick all the players
that have been announced as signings including Maranta, Timms, Runciman as one would think they will all get a start.

BLM01

First Grade
When you get a chance can you pick a 1st grade side and then an ISP side and make sure you pick all the players
that have been announced as signings including Maranta, Timms, Runciman as one would think they will all get a start.
I can tell you now without all the time picking both sides there are 34 players to be picked in both at full sterngth. We have 29 on our books at Top Level. At full strength 12 drop back to ISP. Lot of part timers in ISP now including Buchanan & Runciman depending on form will bide time in Illawarra Coal League comp.

My ISP depending on form & no injuries all grades in order... are Masters, Rava, Maranta wingers, Saab & Aitken centres, Field & Nicholls halves
Sailor (to give him a go), Pia Sokobalvau, Kerr, Timm or Blacker..toss a coin with the last one bench
Forwards are Allgood Robson, Nisbet, Ford, Host, H Lomax

1st grade bench is Norman, Lawrie, Latimore, Sims

nontime111

Juniors
yes! I think hell be our next long term wing STAR! a Morris! a Walford! a Blacklock! some exciting young fellas coming through happy days ahead!

Old Timer

Coach
I can tell you now without all the time picking both sides there are 34 players to be picked in both at full sterngth. We have 29 on our books at Top Level. At full strength 12 drop back to ISP. Lot of part timers in ISP now including Buchanan & Runciman depending on form will bide time in Illawarra Coal League comp.

My ISP depending on form & no injuries all grades in order... are Masters, Rava, Maranta wingers, Saab & Aitken centres, Field & Nicholls halves
Sailor (to give him a go), Pia Sokobalvau, Kerr, Timm or Blacker..toss a coin with the last one bench
Forwards are Allgood Robson, Nisbet, Ford, Host, H Lomax

1st grade bench is Norman, Lawrie, Latimore, Sims
I can't agree that we purchased older players to play in the Coal League as that is not our customary methodology.
I think for game 1 we will look more like this (not sure of all the player movements but hopefully close to correct).
NRL
Dufty
Pereira, Pearson
Lafai, Aitken
Widdop, Hunt
JDB
T Sims, Frizzell
Graham, Vaughan
Mc Innes
Bench
Norman, Leilua, K Sims, Latimore
ISP (Relies on Millward having gone cold on Field at FB and Dufty remaining in 1sts.)
Masters
Ravalawa, Maranta
Lomax, Runciman
Field, Nicholls
Lawrie (I think they think he is a Merrin reincarnate so we will stuff him up as well)
Ford, Host
Allgood, Kerr
Robson
Bench out of
H Lomax, Lovodua, Timm, Sailor, Buchanan, Clune, Payne and I think that Timm, Buchanan and Lovodua will hold 3 of those spots.
Not sure why we want to clog it all up with "old heads" but they are signed to play so IMO they will and that potentially closes the door on a few and provides little opportunity for the enterprising 18 year olds which other clubs seem to be able to get through their systems to get blooded in 1st grade.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I can't agree that we purchased older players to play in the Coal League as that is not our customary methodology.
I think for game 1 we will look more like this (not sure of all the player movements but hopefully close to correct).
NRL
Dufty
Pereira, Pearson
Lafai, Aitken
Widdop, Hunt
JDB
T Sims, Frizzell
Graham, Vaughan
Mc Innes
Bench
ISP (Relies on Millward having gone cold on Field at FB and Dufty remaining in 1sts.)
Masters
Ravalawa, Maranta
Lomax, Runciman
Field, Nicholls
Lawrie (I think they think he is a Merrin reincarnate so we will stuff him up as well)
Ford, Host
Allgood, Kerr
Robson
Bench out of
H Lomax, Lovodua, Timm, Sailor, Buchanan, Clune, Payne and I think that Timm, Buchanan and Lovodua will hold 3 of those spots.
Not sure why we want to clog it all up with "old heads" but they are signed to play so IMO they will and that potentially closes the door on a few and provides little opportunity for the enterprising 18 year olds which other clubs seem to be able to get through their systems to get blooded in 1st grade.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, some points need to be clarified here.

As far as I am aware part-time contracts are for 1yr only, so players such as Runciman and Buchanon have a year to prove themselves worthy of a further contract or even a promotion to the NRL squad.
At the end of 2019 we have (currently) 15 players off contract from the top 30 list. These include forum favourites in Latimore, Allgood and Maranta (only God knows why we signed him in the first place).
As far as juniors are concerned, this year we have promoted Lomax and Saab to the DS (with Lovodua added in July this year), we also added Gillard, Morgan, Purcell, Samiu and Shephard from the U20's last year, to part-time contracts. Some of the other promising youngsters such as SSE, will spend another year in U20's floating into the ISP squad when required.

At the end of next year we are goung ti see some major changes to all teams. Its up to these juniors to shine to earn thenselves an opportunity. The balls in their court as they say.

BLM01

First Grade
NRL
Dufty
Pereira, Pearson
Lafai, Aitken
Widdop, Hunt
JDB
T Sims, Frizzell
Graham, Vaughan
Mc Innes
Bench
Masters
Ravalawa, Maranta
Lomax, Runciman
Field, Nicholls
Ford, Host
Allgood, Kerr
Robson
Bench out of
So your original post is flawed re older players blocking young players to get a go. You have named like me... a lot of young players in both squads.
There is not that many older head plodder players in that lot you mention taking up spots anyway. with maybe exception of Lats but Lawrie will take his spot very shortly if not now.
Lats does an OK job rolling forward but he is still well ahead of next best young front rower coming through..unless Kerr Or Timm steps up to the plate this year. Jack Payne has gone and Buchanan / Runciman part timers so Yes they will play a lower grade to get game time if they have to and if not as good as others in training.
It is all up to our boys club coaches with a golden opportunity this year to promote and give these young guns are chance to shine.
And to think we will go a whole season without 1 injury in either grade will see plenty opportunity depending who gets injured.

Old Timer

Coach
So your original post is flawed re older players blocking young players to get a go. You have named like me... a lot of young players in both squads.
There is not that many older head plodder players in that lot you mention taking up spots anyway. with maybe exception of Lats but Lawrie will take his spot very shortly if not now.
Lats does an OK job rolling forward but he is still well ahead of next best young front rower coming through..unless Kerr Or Timm steps up to the plate this year. Jack Payne has gone and Buchanan / Runciman part timers so Yes they will play a lower grade to get game time if they have to and if not as good as others in training.
It is all up to our boys club coaches with a golden opportunity this year to promote and give these young guns are chance to shine.
And to think we will go a whole season without 1 injury in either grade will see plenty opportunity depending who gets injured.
Not sure you are understanding my posts.
My point is not about the ones I have named in the teams it is about the ones I haven’t named in the teams
You can only name more young players if you have spots but they appear to be filled with older players who are not of first grade quality
Tell me what Maranta, Runciman, Nicholls, Allgood really give you?
While ever they hold down spots where do the emerging players play?
The club has an older is better mentality.
Lomax in 1st grade with Aitken in ISP and Runciman not signed and replaced by a an up and comer sounds much better to me but you won’t get that.

BLM01

First Grade
Not sure you are understanding my posts.
My point is not about the ones I have named in the teams it is about the ones I haven’t named in the teams
You can only name more young players if you have spots but they appear to be filled with older players who are not of first grade quality
Tell me what Maranta, Runciman, Nicholls, Allgood really give you?
While ever they hold down spots where do the emerging players play?
The club has an older is better mentality.
Lomax in 1st grade with Aitken in ISP and Runciman not signed and replaced by a an up and comer sounds much better to me but you won’t get that.

I do understand your point but you cant back it up with names.
Better still who have you not named in the 2 grades that should be?, remembering the 4 blokes you mentioned above contracts expire this year and Runciman is not guaranteed of a ISP spot. The club has to be looking at getting ready for 2020 and beyond as well.
Why sign these blokes?. You need some experience in ISP and perceived older heads.
We are going round in circles, you cant have all development youth in ISP and we will have a few anyway.

The blokes bought up from Under 20's are not necessarily gunna make it or a ready for next year, they are the best of the bunch that have been earmarked to potentially progress and likely best handle the big boys. They are training with ISP to see how they go.
They will bide their time playing against men in Coal League or then ISP if good enough.
The whole problem to your argument is Jersey Flegg in 90% of cases should not be the undercard or pathway to ISP, they are too young (not all but most of them) to handle and rub shoulders with men even at ISP level. That is the point your missing and explains why you need experienced plodders around the 1st or lower grades.
The ones that can handle it in our club are already in our Top 29 or will play ISP even at 18-20 yrs of age because they have something special.
I see kids get spat back to CRL or park level constantly cause they could not make it or not ready. Tom Angel has come back to his junior club as an example as turning 20 but not wanted for ISP as a good sized forward but obviously not got enough to progress yet..and now...may never will. His chance may be gone but if he could of stayed in the system in a lower grade till he was least 22/23 to develop and finish growing things could of been different. He may of not been good enough or never made it but likely now will never find out.
The pathways created and endorsed by the NRL are crap, are the reason so many are lost to the game and parents and was bought in for TV and the high paying sponsors / corporates so people could watch the exciting youth and speed then go on to watch the best. No one at NRL or their predecessors will admit to that mistake made so they just fluff it up a bit, change it round slightly, shoving it out of sight to make it look like they have done something, but the old 3 grade age system worked for a reason.
Money has dictated all that we have now not the sport itself.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I do understand your point but you cant back it up with names.
Better still who have you not named in the 2 grades that should be?, remembering the 4 blokes you mentioned above contracts expire this year and Runciman is not guaranteed of a ISP spot. The club has to be looking at getting ready for 2020 and beyond as well.
Why sign these blokes?. You need some experience in ISP and perceived older heads.
We are going round in circles, you cant have all development youth in ISP and we will have a few anyway.

The blokes bought up from Under 20's are not necessarily gunna make it or a ready for next year, they are the best of the bunch that have been earmarked to potentially progress and likely best handle the big boys. They are training with ISP to see how they go.
They will bide their time playing against men in Coal League or then ISP if good enough.
The whole problem to your argument is Jersey Flegg in 90% of cases should not be the undercard or pathway to ISP, they are too young (not all but most of them) to handle and rub shoulders with men even at ISP level. That is the point your missing and explains why you need experienced plodders around the 1st or lower grades.
The ones that can handle it in our club are already in our Top 29 or will play ISP even at 18-20 yrs of age because they have something special.
I see kids get spat back to CRL or park level constantly cause they could not make it or not ready. Tom Angel has come back to his junior club as an example as turning 20 but not wanted for ISP as a good sized forward but obviously not got enough to progress yet..and now...may never will. His chance may be gone but if he could of stayed in the system in a lower grade till he was least 22/23 to develop and finish growing things could of been different. He may of not been good enough or never made it but likely now will never find out.
The pathways created and endorsed by the NRL are crap, are the reason so many are lost to the game and parents and was bought in for TV and the high paying sponsors / corporates so people could watch the exciting youth and speed then go on to watch the best. No one at NRL or their predecessors will admit to that mistake made so they just fluff it up a bit, change it round slightly, shoving it out of sight to make it look like they have done something, but the old 3 grade age system worked for a reason.
Money has dictated all that we have now not the sport itself.
You can't say we have to have them (hard heads) and not pick them.
Anyway let's wait to see the teams when picked for the opening few rounds and then we can continue the debate as I suspect there will be a few names in that shouldn't be and a few names that should be that aren't.

Gm5

Juniors
We can all agree lafai is the weak link in our team which is probably why we bought runciman, to put pressure on him

watatank

Coach
Looks to me that Runciman just wanted to return to Australia and maybe even Wollongong, where I think he was going to university and just see what happens. Maybe he earns that last spot in the 30, maybe he is just happy to be a part timer. Wouldn't necessarily about putting pressure on anyone.

possm

Coach
1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. Frizell

14. Robson
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Host

Dragonslayer

First Grade
1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. Frizell

14. Robson
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Host

Thats a pretty decent side there Possm.

I think either Norman or Widdop will play fullback, with the other playing 5/8.

As far as Ravalawa is concerned, ge hasn't played at NRL level, and he hasn't played any decent standard of football since July. He needs time in ISP to show his worth. I feel The 2 JP's will be the wingers, Pearson outside of Lafai and Periera outside of Lomax.
Aitken is of course the spanner in the works.

Your forwards are 100% and agree in all cases. Lets hope our coach has his real glasses on, not the rose coloured ones.

Latest posts