What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Crowe - It's what we're all thinking

Gareth67

First Grade
As Ritzley has said its good to see someone of note finally calling out the Rorters - ‘overindulgence ‘ in the player market , always securing the cream of the crop .

But wait a moment Rusty old fella - your mob ain’t that far behind , I mean all of the big name players that have come over to the wabbits for the last 8 seasons or so . I reckon that there has been a few back room deals done to get the likes of the Burgess brotherhood , Latrell Mitchell and a few other big names in the myrtle and green .

Still perhaps I am wrong about both clubs ? Or is it that I am only envious that our mob don't have the necessary negotiation skills required to get the same caliber players down to Wollongong . :thinking:

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
As Ritzley has said its good to see someone of note finally calling out the Rorters - ‘overindulgence ‘ in the player market , always securing the cream of the crop .

But wait a moment Rusty old fella - your mob ain’t that far behind , I mean all of the big name players that have come over to the wabbits for the last 8 seasons or so . I reckon that there has been a few back room deals done to get the likes of the Burgess brotherhood , Latrell Mitchell and a few other big names in the myrtle and green .

Still perhaps I am wrong about both clubs ? Or is it that I am only envious that our mob don't have the necessary negotiation skills to get the same caliber players down to Wollongong . :thinking:

"But wait a moment Rusty old fella - your mob ain’t that far behind , I mean all of the big name players that have come over the wabbits for the last 8 seasons or so . I reckon that there has been a few back room deals done to get the likes of the Burgess brotherhood , Latrell Mitchell and a few other big names in the myrtle and green ."

You have hit the nail on the head here Gareth. Methinks Mr Crowe is diverting a lot of the salary crap under the table deals to the Roosters rather than to say anything about his club.

The thing though is that it works for those clubs and I am also envious that our club doesn't have the guys with enough foresight, guts and nous who can negotiate to sign up quality players like the Rorters etc. Although, maybe our recruitment team and coaches are thinking that they have the guys to match it with the other clubs.

LINESPEED

Juniors
"But wait a moment Rusty old fella - your mob ain’t that far behind , I mean all of the big name players that have come over the wabbits for the last 8 seasons or so . I reckon that there has been a few back room deals done to get the likes of the Burgess brotherhood , Latrell Mitchell and a few other big names in the myrtle and green ."

You have hit the nail on the head here Gareth. Methinks Mr Crowe is diverting a lot of the salary crap under the table deals to the Roosters rather than to say anything about his club.

The thing though is that it works for those clubs and I am also envious that our club doesn't have the guys with enough foresight, guts and nous who can negotiate to sign up quality players like the Rorters etc. Although, maybe our recruitment team and coaches are thinking that they have the guys to match it with the other clubs.

...& no one is coming @ $51

... but what the heck - I might just have $50 on that

Old Timer

Coach

Still perhaps I am wrong about both clubs ? Or is it that I am only envious that our mob don't have the necessary negotiation skills required to get the same caliber players down to Wollongong . :thinking:
Gareth,

Not all the Burgess's were that good and the deal might have been cash or kind as I always wondered if maybe mummy was on the table as part of the deal?

Myrtle Red and Cardinal Green.

Latrell really belongs at Souths and I for one am glad he is there (I'm being serious now) as he typifies all the good things that Souths bring to the game namely great indigenous players / icons, rough & tough & uncompromising, always overcoming struggles of various types none of which are really Roosters traits as the biggest struggle for them is chai skim late or soy flat white or which body type sedan or sports?

Totally agree with Dragon David on this subject. Crowe is in no position to talk. If Latrell is on $850K, Cody Walker $650 then Crowe and Co are doing well to also cram in the likes of Arrow, Cook, Johnston, Murray, Mansour, Graham and Gagai.
The NRL might as well do away with the salary cap since it has totally failed in it's stated intention to level the playing field. Considering that 18 of the last 21 GF's have been contested by Melbourne or the Rorters, or both.

redv13

Bench
Totally agree with Dragon David on this subject. Crowe is in no position to talk. If Latrell is on $850K, Cody Walker $650 then Crowe and Co are doing well to also cram in the likes of Arrow, Cook, Johnston, Murray, Mansour, Graham and Gagai.
The NRL might as well do away with the salary cap since it has totally failed in it's stated intention to level the playing field. Considering that 18 of the last 21 GF's have been contested by Melbourne or the Rorters, or both.
Don’t forget Reynolds is on big bikkies too and Burgess wouldn’t be on loose change either

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth,

Not all the Burgess's were that good and the deal might have been cash or kind as I always wondered if maybe mummy was on the table as part of the deal?

Myrtle Red and Cardinal Green.

Latrell really belongs at Souths and I for one am glad he is there (I'm being serious now) as he typifies all the good things that Souths bring to the game namely great indigenous players / icons, rough & tough & uncompromising, always overcoming struggles of various types none of which are really Roosters traits as the biggest struggle for them is chai skim late or soy flat white or which body type sedan or sports?

Agree on both counts O.T. the Burgess boys were a bulk-buy - get 2 good ones and we will throw the other 2 in very cheap .

As to bringing back South’s to their grass roots yet again you are correct , it’s good to see and the difference between the latte sipping chooks and the the wabbits are as wide as Sydney Heads , a totally different philosophy as far as having players who truly represent their area and in Souths case also their aboriginal community .

However whether there were cash deals done by Souths or part time shares at Rusty’s digs at Byron Bay , those whittle wascal wabbits are still in the same boat as the chooks , to a lesser degree perhaps . I wonder just what the salary cap auditor would find if he hauled that boat on shore and had a thorough look at the hull ?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree on both counts O.T. the Burgess boys were a bulk-buy - get 2 good ones and we will throw the other 2 in very cheap , I will leave mummy out of the equation .

As to bringing back South’s to their grass roots yet again you are correct , it’s good to see and the difference between the latte sipping chooks and the the wabbits are as wide as Sydney Heads , a totally different philosophy as far as having players who truly represent their area and in Souths case their community .

However whether there were cash deals done by Souths or part time shares at Rusty’s digs at Byron Bay , those whittle wascal wabbits are still in the same boat as the chooks , to a lesser degree perhaps . I wonder just what the salary cap auditor would find if he hauled that boat on shore and had a thorough look at the hull ?
He would smell something fishy that's for sure!!

Latest posts