What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

397AED35-885A-4000-BAC2-B12C95FB53BB.jpeg

You go to the game to follow your hero’s and stuff.

You think “ fek he’s a fair talent” and “ gee it’s nice he plays for us”

And then they go and rip your frigging heart out.

No mercy, no free pass, make him pay.

Delboy

First Grade
Well then they should be blacklisted by the whole league.

Then they should be summarily executed and their bodies dragged behind a Toyota hilux from Five Dock to Camden.
As a Parra fan can only agree re player managers and th guy you're aiming at.

Good old Toddy boy threatened them all after the issue with Parra, what happened , a big fat nothing. Always suss when people at the head of the NRL had dealings with player managers in a previous role. Toddy can always have a coffee with Uncle Nick, Trent Robbo, Big Sam etc , nothing to see here , move along

WT2K

Juniors
As a Parra fan can only agree re player managers and th guy you're aiming at.

Good old Toddy boy threatened them all after the issue with Parra, what happened , a big fat nothing. Always suss when people at the head of the NRL had dealings with player managers in a previous role. Toddy can always have a coffee with Uncle Nick, Trent Robbo, Big Sam etc , nothing to see here , move along

I'd say a few of these agents have plenty of dirt on toddy from his bulldogs days. Why we won't be seeing anything happen about this issue whilst he's still ceo

So well let’s use Reynolds as an example, he busts his guts week in week out to play first grade, talks highly of the club and plays at 100% yet we want to get rid of him. Matterson doesn’t want to be here, is having a sook in the media and doesn’t care. But we want to keep him? Funny bunch Wests Tigers fans
Well said.

We all know Greenberg won’t do anything unless his daughters touch football team mates say something but seriously, managers should be fined as well, as soon as their clients request an out.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
So well let’s use Reynolds as an example, he busts his guts week in week out to play first grade, talks highly of the club and plays at 100% yet we want to get rid of him. Matterson doesn’t want to be here, is having a sook in the media and doesn’t care. But we want to keep him? Funny bunch Wests Tigers fans

Reynolds is shit but Matterson can play. It's a shit situation.

Tiger05

First Grade
Wests Tigers are prepared cut their losses with Ryan Matterson as rival clubs get ready to pounce on the rising star.

Matterson, who was granted leave earlier this week leave due to "personal reasons", has now set off on holidays as his teammates continue to train at the club's Concord Oval base until the end of the finals.

Ryan Matterson's future at Concord is unclear.Credit:NRL Photos

Matterson still has two years left on his deal with the Tigers - which is worth a combined $775,000 over the next two years - but will be granted permission to negotiate with other clubs in the coming days.

Sources have told the Herald tensions between Matterson and the Tigers are now at the point where the club are preparing to start next year without the 24-year-old - who was arguably their best player this season.

Where Matterson lands next season remains to be seen. He was linked to the Titans on Friday - largely due to his connection with new coach Justin Holbrook during their time together at the Roosters - but Gold Coast have not been approached by the Tigers nor Matterson's management.

The Titans are also eager to keep rising star AJ Brimson, who was raised as a player the Tigers would entertain swapping Matterson for should he decide to head north of the border.

4:59

Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles preview: Finals Week Two
Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns preview Friday's match between the South Sydney Rabbiotohs and the Manly Sea Eagles at ANZ Stadium.

Gold Coast's reluctance to let Brimson go could hinder their chances of luring Matterson north if they do eventually throw their hat in the ring as the Tigers are eager to add backs to their current list.

While they are happy with the progress of David Nofoaluma and Corey Thompson, the club have identified the need for backs with the kind of "X-factor" Brimson has in spades.

If the Titans don't come to the negotiating table, Parramatta are watching the Matterson situation with keen interest despite coach Brad Arthur and the rising star falling out when he was last at the club.

The Eels are also set to enter the race for another star looking for a new football home in Jack Bird.

Jack Bird could be on his way back to Sydney.Credit:AAP

Bird approached the Broncos requesting permission to negotiate with rival clubs - which has since been granted - and is now on the radar of several Sydney clubs.

Bird returned to the form which earned him his $800,000 price tag prior to injuring his ACL this season in Brisbane's centres but the Herald has been told the Eels view him as a back rower.

Parramatta continue to eye marquee forwards, having been raised as potential homes for several stars who are entering the free agent market in the next 12 months.

St George Illawarra are also interested in bringing Bird back to Sydney. The Wollongong product played for the Dragons U20s before he moved to Cronulla, where he played a pivotal part in the club's drought breaking 2016 premiership.

The Sharks would like to make a play for Bird but remain hamstrung by a salary cap fine. They are also still chasing Jesse Ramien.

Tiger05

First Grade
Thought: let it go, you are really sounding like an old broken record.

Reynolds can play, what’s more he has handled his own uncertain future with humility and maturity. Matterson, well.

Mate - I think you are way too attached to Reynolds. I don't dislike the guy. He just isn't very good or maybe better put he hasn't been very good for us.

If you can't see the difference in the on field performances between Reynolds and Matterson then you clearly aren't watching the same games that I'm watching. Then you add in the impact to the salary cap which is our biggest problem. I mean come on dude.

Reynolds has a great attitude. If we got somehow get Mattersons ability and Reynolds attitude we'd have a star that we can all like.

I reckon most fans of the game think Matterson is a merkin and most like Reynolds but that means jack shit when it comes to our team's performance.

I want to see our club win games. We were pretty good this season but we need to improve. I can't see how letting Matterson go helps us. I can see how getting Reynolds and others contracts off our books is really important.

I think we will have to let Matterson go though because he is such a merkin and I assume we are going to be carrying a couple of over inflated contracts on our books for the next couple of seasons. So probably the only guy on our squad on unders goes and our cap will still be screwed.

I think there are a few clubs who won’t deal with certain player managers, Souths is one, they make a stand on the issue. The market is not free or open at all.

Just some hypothetical figures:

If he’s a modest $500k player and his accredited manager is on 7% then it’s worth $35k a year to the manager less his current percentage of $24.5k a year = $10.5k extra a year less taxes and things then his manager is fooling about with us for about $6k-$7k a year.

So it’s probably a fair living if you have a decent stable of stars.

Reports are that him and Madge couldn’t stand each other for reasons I’m not sure of. Likely to be disobedience or contempt. He’s had an outstanding season but perhaps he’s too proud to attribute that at least party to Madge and his expectations.

However he has coached him, Madge has brought the best out of him and helped him command the big dollars.

That suggests Matt’s is a selfish tool.

Some players go well under any coach, but a lot of others fail.

My top failures under new coaches would include

A) most of the broncos.
B) rcg, Woods, Foran, Packer, gagai, Crichton, marsters,

And say human nature is that not everyone is going to get on with everyone else.

If it was just money and money alone, a player would head to super league where the salary is 2-3 times more and Matterson approaching his prime might even command $1m.

Pascoe has made it clear that Matt’s will only be released if there is a benefit to the club as judged by our officials but it’s always a lottery.

Perhaps all contracts should contain a clause that player managers are not to benefit from a breach. Every club to impose this condition.

Then the player managers will be less enlivened to be fekwits.

It sounds like a player swap is going to be really hard for us. I love when Christians show no morals at all.

Yup

Better off with hard core Satanists who honour contracts and try their tails (and horns) off.

If need be, they can find salvation and pray with scomo after their last game.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
Funny you had a player like Benji willing to run around for bugger all..your got a guy like Lawrence just wanting basic contract money and you have the new boy on the block wanting a massive upgrade without willing to extend.

Let's hope karma hits him big time

Vic Mackey

Referee
Whilst his numbers after he moved to 13 were great I felt he was a lot less effective. He isn’t a Murray, Jurbo, Finucane or Arrow quality 13. I’ll go as far to say that I honestly believe Alex Twal could rack up his numbers if we played him as an 80 minute lock.

To me he is best on the right edge. We have Garner who came on in leaps and bounds at the back end of the year and then Rowdy and MCK who can do a good job sharing the other side. If we are able to get a high quality middle out swap for Matterson id be pretty happy

This isn’t a sour grapes thing either. I’m not going to pretend Matterson isn’t a very good player. My first preference is to keep him, even if a small upgrade is needed, however it’s becoming increasingly obvious that’s not going to happen.

Last edited:
Whilst his numbers after he moved to 13 were great I felt he was a lot less effective. He isn’t a Murray, Jurbo, Finucane or Arrow quality 13. To me he is best on the right edge. We have Garner who came on in leaps and bounds at the back end of the year and then Rowdy and MCK who can do a good job sharing the other side. If we are able to get a high quality middle out swap for Matterson id be pretty happy

Garner was electrifying at the back end of the season. You can see that MCK is especially targeted every time he runs on. Other teams are deadset frightened of him.

Tiger5150

Bench
Thought: let it go, you are really sounding like an old broken record.

Reynolds can play, what’s more he has handled his own uncertain future with humility and maturity. Matterson, well.

Reynolds is on close to $900K, Matterson on just over $300K. You seriously cant see the problem? Which to keep, which to let go?

Latest posts