What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Tongia

imasharkie

Coach
Rookies vie for spots with Sharks

BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
04 Jan, 2011 04:00 AM
CRONULLA finally got their man after signing PNG international Ryan Tongia one year after the outside back rejected an approach from the club.
Tongia, 21, trialled with Cronulla’s National Youth Competition team at the end of 2009 before signing a 12-month deal with Gold Coast, where he scored 18 tries from 20 matches in the under-20s competition.
‘‘The Sharks wanted me to stay but the deal wasn’t enough to keep me, and the Titans deal came along so I jumped on that,’’ Tongia said.
‘‘I have a little boy back home, so it’s been tough being separated from him but it has been a good and easy transition.’’
Tongia comes to the club on the back of a strong showing for his native PNG in the Four-Nations tournament where he worked closely with Sharks hooker Paul Aiton.
‘‘It is a big step up from Toyota Cup playing against the best in the world,’’ Tongia said.
‘‘I loved it and I gained a lot of experience from it. I spoke with [Aiton] on the tour a fair bit and I also spoke with Paul Gallen and that’s what did it for me.
‘‘The opportunity to secure a spot is what attracted me most.’’
With Steve Rogers rookie of the year award winner Nathan Gardner entrenched as the club’s fullback option, Tongia is locked in a battle with Isaac Gordon, John Williams and Stewart Mills for two wing spots.
‘‘Fullback is my favourite spot, but I think going into first grade I’m more suited to the wing,’’ Tongia said.
‘‘I think playing for PNG gives me a little edge over some of the inexperienced players because, having been around the international stage, you know what’s needed and what needs to be done.’’
Tongia signed a 12-month deal with the Sharks.
‘‘Hopefully, I can have a good year and put pressure on (coach Shane Flanagan) to sign me,’’ Tongia said.
‘‘I can tell what he wants and, hopefully, what I’m doing is something he likes. ‘‘I’m hoping I can grab a wing spot for round one against Canberra.’’

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...ookies-vie-for-spots-with-sharks/2038375.aspx

I'm excited by this player. He has speed and will do well running off Best or Collis.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/#
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/#
javascript:changeFontSize('story',1);
javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);

jc155776

Coach
Good to see Gallen in players ears talking them into signing.

People want to play in the same team as Paul Gallen. Need a few more players like that. J Smith is a good start.

Tongia will be on the wing round 1 you would think. Probably with Collis. Gordon and Tongia would be my prefered wing combo.

Ausguy

Coach
IMO he will only get a run if phlinno has a different selection process and actually picks attacking players