What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sachin Tendulkar has announced his retirement from ODIs

Hallatia

Referee
Just came up on ICC and ESPN twitter. I first read that as announed his retirement and I let out a bit of a shriek, but then I realised that it said ODIs

BunniesMan

Immortal
So you'd think he plans on going on for a significant period in Test cricket or he'd have just announced his retirement at the same time.

Tendulkar will never be dropped so I reckon he'll be around for another couple years.

Hallatia

Referee
Sachin Tendulkar retires from ODIs
ESPNcricinfo staff
December 23, 2012

Sachin Tendulkar has retired from ODI cricket. Tendulkar finishes an illustrious career in the 50-over format, having played 463 ODIs, scored 18,426 runs and made 49 centuries, each of them a world record. His last ODI was against Pakistan in Dhaka during the Asia Cup, where he made a half-century in India's victory.

"I have decided to retire from the One Day format of the game," he said in a statement. "I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup winning Indian team. The preparatory process to defend the World Cup in 2015 should begin early and in right earnest. I would like to wish the team all the very best for the future. I am eternally grateful to all my well wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years."

Tendulkar made his ODI debut on his first international tour, in 1989, against Pakistan in Gujranwala, where he got a duck. He scored his first half-century in his ninth ODI and made an immediate impact when promoted to open the batting in 1994, in an ODI against New Zealand in Auckland, where he smashed 82 in 49 balls. His first century took 79 ODIs to arrive but he kept piling them on with remarkable consistency.

Some of the batting highlights in his ODI career include back-to-back hundreds against Australia in 1998 in a triangular tournament in Sharjah, finishing as the highest run-getter in the 2003 World Cup in South Africa, and becoming the first batsman to score a double-century in the ODI format, against South Africa in February 2010.

He was part of one of India's greatest ODI achievements over the last three decades, when they won the World Cup in 2011, beating Sri Lanka in the final on his home ground in Mumbai. In preparation for that World Cup, Tendulkar had curtailed the amount of ODI cricket in the year playing only four ODIs in the 12 months before the World Cup. Since the end of the World Cup, Tendulkar has played 10 ODIs, seven in the CB Series against Australia and the last three of his career being played at the Asia Cup in Dhaka. His innings of 114 against Bangladesh on March 16 was his 100th international hundred in what turned out to be Tendulkar's penultimate ODI match for India. His last ODI appearance in India happened to be in his hometown Mumbai for the 2011 ICC World Cup final.

Tendulkar's announcement of his ODI retirement came through a statement from the BCCI which stated that he had spoken to BCCI president N Srinivasan. His retirement was announced on the day the Indian selectors announced the teams to play in the five-match T20 and ODI series against Pakistan.
Sauce

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I was sad when VVS & The Wall retired,but i won't bat an eye lid when Tendulkar finally goes..

Good batsman..

Poor sport..

Just another whingeing Indian to me..

TheParraboy

Staff member
When the likes of Nathan Lyon , Mathew Wade and (potentially) Michael Beer, all take his scalp multiple times each during next years 4 test series, Im banking he will retire immediately from tests then

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
He's played 194 tests. I reckon he'll play until he gets 200 tests.

Unquestionably one of the greatest one day batsmen of all time, IMO a bees dick behind Richards and Gilchrist.

Earl

Coach
He was all but semi retired from ODI's anyway. He only played when it suited him. He's only played a handful of them since the world cup in 2011

aussies1st

Staff member
Didn't have anything else to achieve in ODIs and should be making the retirement call on Test cricket too.

Hallatia

Referee
interesting from Times of India
Sachin Tendulkar: Great in Tests, greatest in ODIs
By K Shriniwas Rao, TNN
Dec 24, 2012

MUMBAI: Time stood frozen on Sunday as Sachin Tendulkar, a behemoth of one-day cricket batting, decided to abruptly call it a day. In his ODI avatar, Tendulkar leaves behind not just the memories of his strokeplay but the riveting story of a marketing phenomenon that made him India's biggest brand.

Profile: Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar | In Pics: Sachin's one-day journey

While he always remained the undisputed king of one-day cricket, the question lingers if he managed to conquer Test cricket in an equally fascinating way.

Statistics alone may never tell the real story. Tendulkar has played 463 ODIs with 234 resulting in India victories and 33 of his 49 hundreds, including the world-record unbeaten 200, coming in a winning cause. His ODI average stands at 44.83 and the winning average at 56.63. What makes Tendulkar's ODI stint more special is also the 154 wickets against his name, with 97 coming in matches India won.

Ricky Ponting, Sanath Jayasuriya, Inzamam-ul Haq, Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid - five of the greatest ODI batsmen of Tendulkar's generation - do not match up to the tally.

In Test cricket, Tendulkar averages a whopping 54.32 in 194 matches with the win/draw average at a daunting 64.92 in 66 games. The 51 Test centuries are only an icing on the cake. Off those 51, 40 have either resulted in India's victory or a draw.

Jacques Kallis, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis and Brian Lara - the five greatest Test batsmen - again do not match up to these figures.

As a one-day cricketer, he's been part of a World Cup winning team while as a Test cricketer, he played a crucial role in India going on to become the world's top-ranked team. While Tendulkar continues to play Test cricket, numbers make it impossible to suggest which format he ruled more. A Test batsman is gauged by his run-making ability in different conditions, against different opposition. On that count, 29 of Tendulkar's 51 Test centuries have come in away matches, with some of the best coming at the WACA, Old Trafford, SCG, the Basin Reserve, Galle and so on.

In one-day cricket, the accolades are normally reserved for big-match entertainers, and once again there is nobody bigger than Tendulkar. He took India to the semifinals of the 1996 World Cup and batted on a wicket that looked like a featherbed till he got out. He scored a century in the 1999 World Cup immediately after his father's untimely funeral. The nerveless 98 against Pakistan at Centurion in the 2003 World Cup too stands out. Finally, winning the coveted trophy in 2011 makes it complete.

For many, favourite Tendulkar moments go beyond the World Cup, be it the 84 in Auckland or the Desert Storm in 1998 or the double century in Gwalior.

To say that he was better in one format than the other can only be an anomaly for those looking to make assumptions.
Perhaps the fact that he still doesn't have a triple hundred in Tests places him a notch lesser than some other legends. Possibly, compared to Dravid, Tendulkar's double hundreds haven't come in the most demanding conditions either. However, for those looking beyond numbers, the sight of Tendulkar batting has always been divine.

One-day cricket, however, has one strong Tendulkar connection. His rise as a ODI batsman, the advent of cable TV and introduction of coloured clothing all happened almost at the same time. The manner in which he went on from there to become India's biggest brand, the darling of scores of parents who wanted their children to be like him, and the humility with which he went about his job perhaps makes him the most complete cricketer ever.
Sauce

Hallatia

Referee
I'm not refuting it, but notice that the great man, Jacques Kallis, is not one, but two of the 5 greatest test batsmen. Some notable omissions there too, must just have meant during Tendulkar's career

Horrie Is God

First Grade
It's just the Indians trying to re-write history..

That article is trying to make him out as a game winner..What a joke..

He was a very good bat,but is also one of the most selfish cricketers of all time..

And he is a liar..