What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Mojo

Bench
That is a very poor showing, I'm giving him 6-7 rounds before he either stays or gets punted.
Isn't that basically an each way bet?
We can debate what these stats show and why until the cows come home but Hunt has no short kicking game and he doesn't stick in defense. Last year we rarely made line breaks and, even when we did, the lack of support play was miserable. Hunt is a great individual player in attack with a good long kick. He saved us from oblivion last year. Desperate though we are, I really feel he's in the wrong position and I have a strong gut instinct that he has far too much influence in off field strategic decisions. It all gets sheeted home to Hook's apparent short-comings but I think I've been around long enough to be able to know who is the puppet and who is the puppet master.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Griffin will last the season and not get punted mid way. It is not the Dragons way. If they do get rid of Griffin during the season it will be at a time when the team has absolutely no chance of making the 8 like they did to Mary. They punted him when Saints were near last.

mattchuot

Juniors
I think it is a near certainty that Hook won’t be at the club in 2024 unless he somehow guides us to a grand final this year. Remember all those whispers about players wanting releases including the actual requests from Sloan and Bud. Well those whispers have all magically disappeared. I suspect our Admin have already assured some players that Hook won’t be around past this year in order to put a stop to all the player agitation.

I believe it is not so much of whether Hook will be sacked because that’s going to happen at the end of the year regardless. The more appropriate question is if Hook will survive to the end of the 2023 season.

As much as I would like to see the back of Hook as soon as possible, as many of us do. I believe Hook making it to the end of the season will be more beneficial for the club in terms of recruiting a new coach for 2024. Sacking a coach mid-season can lead to rushed decisions around a successor and key players trying to jump ship. For the stability of the club, I do hope the Admin have shortlist of who they want as coach next year and can take a measured approach to reaching a decision at some stage this year.

Think back to when we sacked Mary mid-season. That decision forced us to settle for Hook. Flanno and Fitzy, both better options, were on the market the following year. Perhaps, the club is learning from that mistake by extending Hook for 2023 to buy time and see who pops up on the market. I think something we can all agree on is whoever the club chooses next will be one of the most critical decision for the club’s fortune in the next decade.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think it is a near certainty that Hook won’t be at the club in 2024 unless he somehow guides us to a grand final this year. Remember all those whispers about players wanting releases including the actual requests from Sloan and Bud. Well those whispers have all magically disappeared. I suspect our Admin have already assured some players that Hook won’t be around past this year in order to put a stop to all the player agitation.

I believe it is not so much of whether Hook will be sacked because that’s going to happen at the end of the year regardless. The more appropriate question is if Hook will survive to the end of the 2023 season.

As much as I would like to see the back of Hook as soon as possible, as many of us do. I believe Hook making it to the end of the season will be more beneficial for the club in terms of recruiting a new coach for 2024. Sacking a coach mid-season can lead to rushed decisions around a successor and key players trying to jump ship. For the stability of the club, I do hope the Admin have shortlist of who they want as coach next year and can take a measured approach to reaching a decision at some stage this year.

Think back to when we sacked Mary mid-season. That decision forced us to settle for Hook. Flanno and Fitzy, both better options, were on the market the following year. Perhaps, the club is learning from that mistake by extending Hook for 2023 to buy time and see who pops up on the market. I think something we can all agree on is whoever the club chooses next will be one of the most critical decision for the club’s fortune in the next decade.
What you say mattchuot seems logical. I think that our Chairman of the Board has said something to the effect that " the club had placed no timeline on coach Anthony Griffin" .

The important thing is what you said re - "whoever the club chooses next will be one of the most critical decision for the club’s fortune in the next decade".

At this time, which could change by the time we are nearly finished with Hook at years end, some of the coaches that possibly are available are -
Dean Young, Des Hasler, Michael Maguire, Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, Shane Flanagan etc of which Des and Jason would be good for the club.

What the Dragons cannot afford to do is dilly dally about because there are other coaches that could finish up this year - Adam O'Brien and Justin Holbrook to name a couple of examples that Newcastle and Gold Coast would be looking at who can be their replacements as well should they suffer poor results in 2023.

We dilly dallied about when Mary was told he was a gonner and we ended up with Hook so definitely need to start thinking and talking to possible best replacements at the first opportunity before the competition ends in 2023.

mattchuot

Juniors
What you say mattchuot seems logical. I think that our Chairman of the Board has said something to the effect that " the club had placed no timeline on coach Anthony Griffin" .

The important thing is what you said re - "whoever the club chooses next will be one of the most critical decision for the club’s fortune in the next decade".

At this time, which could change by the time we are nearly finished with Hook at years end, some of the coaches that possibly are available are -
Dean Young, Des Hasler, Michael Maguire, Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, Shane Flanagan etc of which Des and Jason would be good for the club.

What the Dragons cannot afford to do is dilly dally about because there are other coaches that could finish up this year - Adam O'Brien and Justin Holbrook to name a couple of examples that Newcastle and Gold Coast would be looking at who can be their replacements as well should they suffer poor results in 2023.

We dilly dallied about when Mary was told he was a gonner and we ended up with Hook so definitely need to start thinking and talking to possible best replacements at the first opportunity before the competition ends in 2023.
Completely agree with taking the initiative in signing a coach. In fact, the only time we’ve seen success for the last 20 years was when we went out and headhunted Wayne Bennett. A lot of the successful teams at the moment all went out and got who they believed was their guy (Sharks & Fitzy, Penrith & Ivan, Cowboys & Payton). It feels like when we signed Hook it was more of “we have a head coach vacancy please apply here” type situation. I am hoping our Admin can carefully but also swiftly identify the man for the job, then go out and get him no matter the odds.

BLM01

First Grade

Hasler, Flanagan. This list for decent 1st grade coaches available are improving from the Mary extermination.

Mojo

Bench
Hasler, Flanagan. This list for decent 1st grade coaches available are improving from the Mary extermination.
But surely we wouldn't go back to Flanagan and Hasler would be a risky proposition too.
People refer to successes with Cleary, Payten and Fitzgibbon but they all started as risky appointments too.
Unless we can buy one of the best - Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson (which we can't do of course) we're going to have to take a punt.
Getting a good coaching result is as much about the management structures of the club, the amount of genuine support given to coaches and players and pure trial and error - as it is about finding some sort of football messiah figure. It's not going to happen that way.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
But surely we wouldn't go back to Flanagan and Hasler would be a risky proposition too.
People refer to successes with Cleary, Payten and Fitzgibbon but they all started as risky appointments too.
Unless we can buy one of the best - Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson (which we can't do of course) we're going to have to take a punt.
Getting a good coaching result is as much about the management structures of the club, the amount of genuine support given to coaches and players and pure trail and error - as it is about finding some sort of football messiah figure. It's not going to happen that way.
And that punt is on a Hasler or Flanagan. Otherwise everyone else apart from the Big 3 or 4 who wont be available will be even a bigger punt.

Dragon David

First Grade
And that punt is on a Hasler or Flanagan. Otherwise everyone else apart from the Big 3 or 4 who wont be available will be even a bigger punt.
Yes. My honest opinion is that there genuinely isn't any real decent top notch coach going around who is available to grab to replace Hook. Flanagan to me is an unknown quality now - seems happy to mix commentating with assistant coaching and maybe lacks the fire in the belly to be the great coach we need at our club which would take quite a bit of effort to rise the club up from the "dead". Hasler was always to me a Sea Eagles man. His stint at the Dogs wasn't too bad but got them in some trouble with the cap and then the dramas at Manly again. Fancy them preferring him to Seibold who I don't think will be successful there.

Dean Young still has quite a bit to prove, same as Hornby and Ryles but they will have success just like Fitzgibbon but as we know it took ages for Fitzy to leave the Roosters and he did learn lots under Robinson and with all that time of learning has paid off with good results and a club he has picked to coach for many a year to come.

I'm thinking deep down that the next big thing in the coaching arena, now that Ciraldo has joined the Dogs on a long term deal and who as well spent many years honing his skills as an assistant and has Gould to help his drawing of players capacity, is Jason Ryles. He has spent a number of seasons under Bellamy and now learning more at the Roosters - two of the better clubs to be educated by two of the best coaches in the past 2 decades. This will be Jason's 2nd year at the Roosters. Will he have any feelings/desires to be head coach of the Dragons after what I think his time spent with us as a player didn't end very well?

Trifili13

Juniors
DD, top notch coaches aren't normally free as they have jobs usually with the top teams. You either have to approach them on the sly and get them to agitate to get a release, approach them when they are due to renew their contract or give an up and comer a go and cross your fingers. Most of the other coaches are either failed, sacked, are carrying baggage, etc. While Hasler does not fall into the latter category, not sure our current BOD would let him run the show as he would want.

Given our roster is not the strongest (consistently fail to make the 8) but has potential, i think the next coach will be and up and comer as a top coach will not come (unless we pay ridiculous money) given the bad stench our club has.

Dragon David

First Grade
DD, top notch coaches aren't normally free as they have jobs usually with the top teams. You either have to approach them on the sly and get them to agitate to get a release, approach them when they are due to renew their contract or give an up and comer a go and cross your fingers. Most of the other coaches are either failed, sacked, are carrying baggage, etc. While Hasler does not fall into the latter category, not sure our current BOD would let him run the show as he would want.

Given our roster is not the strongest (consistently fail to make the 8) but has potential, i think the next coach will be and up and comer as a top coach will not come (unless we pay ridiculous money) given the bad stench our club has.
Agreed Trifili.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I'm so over Hook I would accept the Deano/Hornby combo as our next head coaches.

Both have been AC outside of the STI system and under successful coaches/teams that have played finals footy.

I don't think Ryles will ever come back to coach us.

Mojo

Bench
I expect Kristian Woolf will be the next big thing in coaching NRL. We've got his brother Ben. Bennett must be a good judge of a good coach and he grabbed Kristian. Apparently Ryles won‘t be coming back. If Hook goes early I'd give the job to Ben Woolf. Instinct, that's all.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm so over Hook I would accept the Deano/Hornby combo as our next head coaches.

Both have been AC outside of the STI system and under successful coaches/teams that have played finals footy.

I don't think Ryles will ever come back to coach us.
If Dean Young comes to the Dragons to be the Head Coach, he won't be bringing Nanai -

Latest posts