What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I’ve heard he’s a got a good footy mind, but I think coaching takes a lot of atttribures.

Plus he had the Post Mary scenario to contend with, was always a transition coach unless he jagged success.

I’d prefer him to Benji Marshall any day of the week as Benji was given the job on the extreme matey. No basic qualifications even.

Bennet will tell people what he wants them to think, not what he really believes. That’s his right I guess, the game is full of it lol

Last edited:

56to66

Juniors
At the end of the day, Griffin couldn't get the Dragons to fire, just like Ted Glossop, Craig Young and Steven Price.
All the fwit Journos were blowing negatives towards the Dragons BOD, for the handling of his sacking, IMHO they got it right, done good, all that remains for them to do is bring back the St George Dragons, so we can have all our 15 premierships recognised by the NRL.

At the end of the day, Griffin couldn't get the Dragons to fire, just like Ted Glossop, Craig Young and Steven Price.
All the fwit Journos were blowing negatives towards the Dragons BOD, for the handling of his sacking, IMHO they got it right, done good, all that remains for them to do is bring back the St George Dragons, so we can have all our 15 premierships recognised by the NRL.
I think the issues were a lot bigger than Hook, but as you say, he couldn’t get the players to fire.

The denial of Saints past premiership stuff and the Steelers rich history has never made any sense to me.

They will never ever defeat the memory of Johnny Raper and co.

Parko1310

Juniors
Ridiculous statement

I think the NRL betrays the history at its own peril.

Because it creates common ground and interest even with strangers.

We’ve all bumped into folk and discussed a game of many years ago and one is sus until they recount something you suddenly remember, something not on TV or whatever….everyone smiles and enjoys the moment.

I also think it’s a bit unfair that stand alone clubs can carry their history over, but we can’t, even though we made the “ultimate sacrifice”

It’s got that stolen valour aspect about it.

In their relative short stint as stand alone, the Steelers punched above their weight too. They made finals, had a Conga line of soo and other reps…

Your passion should be celebrated.

since77

Juniors
I’ve heard he’s a got a good footy mind, but I think coaching takes a lot of atttribures.

Plus he had the Post Mary scenario to contend with, was always a transition coach unless he jagged success.

I’d prefer him to Benji Marshall any day of the week as Benji was given the job on the extreme matey. No basic qualifications even.

Bennet will tell people what he wants them to think, not what he really believes. That’s his right I guess, the game is full of it lol
Lol please tell me about that great footy mind that Griffin had. Was it those fantastic game plans? The terrible defensive structures? Reject shop recruiting? The wonderful attacking game plan of 5 hit ups and a kick?
I saw zero signs of even a mediocre footy mind, let alone a good one.

Lol please tell me about that great footy mind that Griffin had. Was it those fantastic game plans? The terrible defensive structures? Reject shop recruiting? The wonderful attacking game plan of 5 hit ups and a kick?
I saw zero signs of even a mediocre footy mind, let alone a good one.
My ex panther junior work mate told me that he was highly thought of out there.
He had a good name across junior ranks, even though he wasn’t very sociable.

Hook was never a long term solution for SGI, but if he was bad, so were the players and the board.

Don’t forget Hook never promised anything at the start. He said he’d do his best, and it wasn’t enough.

But Mary crapped on about making the finals from second last with a handful of games to go. All his corporate mumbo jumbo.

Anyway, I always saw Hook as a transition coach. He made some weird decisions.

Unless he was successful!

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
My ex panther junior work mate told me that he was highly thought of out there.

Hook was never a long term solution, but if he was bad, so were the players and the board.

Don’t forget Hook never promised anything at the start. He said he’d do his best, and it wasn’t enough.
But nobody asked for a promise. He was paid to perform a job in which the KPI's are very clear. He underperformed in the position.

But nobody asked for a promise. He was paid to perform a job in which the KPI's are very clear. He underperformed…

The only kpi left after Mary was the survival of the club into next season.

The players didn’t help Hook and I think the club let him down many times.

When did it become anti-Hook week? Lol

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not only can't Hook coach but he can't commentate? Listening to him on Fox during commentary was painful.

All I know is when Hook was signed everyone expected him to make Saints play finals footy as he had a record of making finals and he failed miserably. Pretty sure he stated many times that his team will make the finals pre-season to give us some hope. He also had the reputation of blooding juniors which he failed there as well as we had our best juniors demanding a release after his first year.

His tenure was an absolute disaster and one we should move on from. He seems like a nice guy though, and I hope he does well in his future endeavours.

Not only can't Hook coach but he can't commentate? Listening to him on Fox during commentary was painful.

All I know is when Hook was signed everyone expected him to make Saints play finals footy as he had a record of making finals and he failed miserably. Pretty sure he stated many times that his team will make the finals pre-season to give us some hope. He also had the reputation of blooding juniors which he failed there as well as we had our best juniors demanding a release after his first year.

His tenure was an absolute disaster and one we should move on from. He seems like a nice guy though, and I hope he does well in his future endeavours.
Almost all the footy people all turn into cretins when they get these gigs.

Like you need a half-lobotomy to get behind a mike.

Juniors should be seen and not heard.

After the bbq, the club imposed these silly penalties and I think it hurt itself. There were better options available. I know many people don’t agree, but it’s just my take. Hooks performance was effected by things outside of his control.

Plus we don’t quite know what the board and club execs were doing with his recommendations.

He should release a book, I’d be interested “ Hooked” for the title.

Anyway, he takes his place in your proud history, for better or worse.

I’ve thought a bit about Flanno, and concluded he deserves the benefit. He could be your best coach for many years. But he needs some time.

Last edited:

Carrera28

Juniors
I suspect Hook does have a good football brain, however being a good head coach is about more than just football and where Hook was not the right coach for the Dragons was his inability to create a strong team culture where players want to do their best to help their mates and turn up for all 80 minutes. If a coach is not capable of developing that culture they need to relay heavily on their senior players and captain to set the standard.

I think even before Hook arrived we have had an issue with our senior players and captains not setting the standard. In hindsight looking at our last three long term captains Widdop, McInnes and Hunt, only McInnes really set the example.

It's not that Widdop and Hunt necessarily didn't perform on the field, but they were more focused on achieving their own individual KPIs and ensuring their own. It is a shame that Hook pursued the policy of recruiting older players for cheap bucks to keep Hunt happy.

If the club had been able to recruit a solid almost gun forward for big bucks to replace McInnes the leadership would not have been placed on Hunt who does not provide leadership or help create a culture that encourages looking after your mates. Hunt is too focused on making sure he gets the ball and that he gets touches every play.

As much as I have my doubts about Dean Young's ability to be a head coach, I do think he was a very hard working player who set standards on and off the field that helped young players to know what is expected and he turned up and played for his teams for all the minutes he played. I also had hoped that Matt Cooper would be appointed as an assistant coach as he worked damn hard off the field and didn't let his team mates carry his share of the load. Between the two of them they could have contributed to taking some of the load off Flanno who I think can address both football and culture but who is only human and needs his assistants to set the standard for training and doing your share of the hard work as he is going to be flat out working out new football strategies and plays.

Latest posts