What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Maddragon99

Juniors
So based on your reasoning that he only wins comps with champion teams and is therefore a myth, you obviously then don't rate Jack Gibson as the mid 70s Rooster's and early 80s Eels were champion teams as he couldn't win a comp when coached the Dragon's, Jets, Rabbits and Sharks or Sticks Provan and before him Killer Kearney as the Dragon's were also champion teams of that era.
Well I’m entitled to my opinion. Our second half performance in the 2010 grand final is a testament to his couching abilities, the boys ran out ready to run through a brick wall to be able to win.

I’m simply saying it’s easy to get caught up in the Bennett super coach myth. Since leaving us he’s failed at Newcastle, Brisbane & now Souths.

I think it’s even parts a gifted team & the coaches ability to win a Comp. This could be easily said on the 2021 Penrith team, a very gifted playing group combined with a good coach.

Would we have done any better this year with Cleary as coach instead of Griffin? Maybe, maybe not. If Penrith goes on to win another 1 or 2 Comps with that squad does that make Ivan Cleary a super coach too?

Trifili13

Juniors
Totally respect your opinion, not having a go at you. You correctly pointed out that you need a talented player group to win a comp.

If Cleary goes on to win 1 or 2 more comps with that group, IMO you would have to start the discussion as being a top line coach. Super coach might be over the top. It's hard enough to win 1, let alone 2 or 3 of them. But as you said, you need the players to do it and maybe he is at the right place at the right time, but you can say that about most coaches that win comps.

I just think it's harsh calling Bennett a myth. Was he blessed with very good Bronco's teams, yes. But you can say the same about Bellamy with Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis.

Anyway, always happy to read anyones opinion.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Totally respect your opinion, not having a go at you. You correctly pointed out that you need a talented player group to win a comp.

If Cleary goes on to win 1 or 2 more comps with that group, IMO you would have to start the discussion as being a top line coach. Super coach might be over the top. It's hard enough to win 1, let alone 2 or 3 of them. But as you said, you need the players to do it and maybe he is at the right place at the right time, but you can say that about most coaches that win comps.

I just think it's harsh calling Bennett a myth. Was he blessed with very good Bronco's teams, yes. But you can say the same about Bellamy with Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis.

Anyway, always happy to read anyones opinion.
A lot of it is about timing. Tigers fans rate Cleary lower than we rate McGuber or chinless. Cleary was also sacked at Penrith some years ago. Cleary is now blessed with a fantastic team particularly a high quality Origin 6 & 7.

Is Robinson a super coach? Or just blessed with a very supportive owner, unlimited 3rd party payments & a high quality support system? He’d need to win in a different system before I’d begin to rate him as a super coach.

My issue with Griffin is firstly he’s never won anything & has been moved on a couple of times so there something to prove there. Secondly some of his team selections were entirely counterproductive, persisting with Norman & Beale, picking Bird at Fullback instead of giving Sloan valuable game time & his dumpster diving money ball approach. Signing McGuire is difficult to support, he’s a whole hearted player but his judiciary record is the worst in the NRL.

Anyway fingers crossed for 2022, anything less than top 8 should mean the end of Coach Griffin.

Trifili13

Juniors
We are on the same page re Griffin. Some of his choices were baffling to say the least. While we are not privy to what happens behind closed doors at training, but for basically the whole fan base wanting Norman replaced for underperformance, surely we all can't be wrong.

Anyway as you say, let's hope 2022 is a better year.

Well I’m entitled to my opinion. Our second half performance in the 2010 grand final is a testament to his couching abilities, the boys ran out ready to run through a brick wall to be able to win.

I’m simply saying it’s easy to get caught up in the Bennett super coach myth. Since leaving us he’s failed at Newcastle, Brisbane & now Souths.

I think it’s even parts a gifted team & the coaches ability to win a Comp. This could be easily said on the 2021 Penrith team, a very gifted playing group combined with a good coach.

Would we have done any better this year with Cleary as coach instead of Griffin? Maybe, maybe not. If Penrith goes on to win another 1 or 2 Comps with that squad does that make Ivan Cleary a super coach too?
He failed at Newcastle, Brisbane and Souths? Took Newcastle to a prelim final and the other two into close losses in a grand final.

I wish the dragons could get a coach to fail so miserably.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He failed at Newcastle, Brisbane and Souths? Took Newcastle to a prelim final and the other two into close losses in a grand final.

I wish the dragons could get a coach to fail so miserably.
His name was Nathan Brown. I rated Nathan very highly, his ability to build a roster was impressive but he doesn’t have too many fans in here.

TruSaint

Referee
His name was Nathan Brown. I rated Nathan very highly, his ability to build a roster was impressive but he doesn’t have too many fans in here.

Im a fan of Nathans.

Prob is he was thrown the coaching role way too early. Coaching his team mates.
He went close, barring a massive call against Barrett in the prelim v Tigers.

Nathan has a good footy brain, its just his time as our head coach was way premature.

Gareth67

First Grade
It’s about perspective Gareth67, I addressed my rationale in my most recent post.

The man also brought confidence and self belief to the players , so much so that the team that he assembled worked like clockwork .

Bennett had that magic touch about him that other NRL coaches could only dream about . He would always get the very best out of his players regardless if they were stars or simply plodders .

He and Jack Gibson stand alone at the summit of true genius .

TruSaint

Referee
The man also brought confidence and self belief to the players , so much so that the team that he assembled worked like clockwork .

Bennett had that magic touch about him that other NRL coaches could only dream about . He would always get the very best out of his players regardless if they were stars or simply plodders .

People underestimate this point Gaz.
Listen to any player that has played under him, over 4 decades, and all of them say " he believed in me ", and / or words to that effect.

Gareth67

First Grade
People underestimate this point Gaz.
Listen to any player that has played under him, over 4 decades, and all of them say " he believed in me ", and / or words to that effect.

They most certainly do TruSaint and as you have said , the number of players that I have heard say just that is amazing .

The man would be a tremendous asset to any club , particularly the Redcliffe Dolphins .

Maddragon99

Juniors

The right coach at the exact right time.

The Wayne Bennett myth takes another hit. 6 premierships with a gifted Broncos’ team and another with a gifted Dragon’s team but nothing since.

He should never have left the Dragon’s he would probably have won again in 2011.

He left the Broncos, Dragons, Knights & probably Souths in a decades long mess.

Time to step aside Wayne & enjoy retirement unless you want to commit long term to a rebuilding team like us.

There are two reasons why you are a f**king moron:

1. He got the 2015 Broncos to within 10 seconds of a Premiership and the 2021 Rabbitohs within two points of a Premiership without Latrell; and

2. The fallacy that he f**ks clubs over when he leaves is an excuse that the entirely incompetent board members of the Broncos, Knights and especially the Illawarra Steelers and St George Dragons trot out to cover up how entirely f**king shit they are

Bro, we have certifiable alcoholics with acquired brain injuries running our club. They legit could f**k up making a cup of coffee...

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
There are two reasons why you are a f**king moron:

1. He got the 2015 Broncos to within 10 seconds of a Premiership and the 2021 Rabbitohs within two points of a Premiership without Latrell; and

2. The fallacy that he f**ks clubs over when he leaves is an excuse that the entirely incompetent board members of the Broncos, Knights and especially the Illawarra Steelers and St George Dragons trot out to cover up how entirely f**king shit they are

Bro, we have certifiable alcoholics with acquired brain injuries running our club. They legit could f**k up making a cup of coffee...
There is one reason why you are a imbecile.

This is an open forum for all fans to express their opinions. Agree or don’t agree but it doesn’t diminish that fact I’m entitled to my opinion.

Trifili13

Juniors

This is an open forum for all fans to express their opinions. Agree or don’t agree but it doesn’t diminish that fact I’m entitled to my opinion.
I was waiting for the first person to abuse you and surprised it took this long. There is no need to call people names and sympathize with you there.

I know this is your opinion, but to give credit to Browny and call Bennett a myth and lucky that he had gifted teams, the argument i feel does not stack up. Bennett has won more comps in the GF era than anyone else, was seconds away from another until the Cows scored and then Hunt dropped the kick off in extra time, Souths had not ball and field position yet lost to an intercept and you could put your house on Reynolds that he would convert from the sideline to send the game into extra time. Brown has won just 1 Super league comp in England playing against a team that had 12 players for 78 minutes. Even Price managed to win a challenge cup.

Now if you said Bellamy or Robbo or Gibson are better coaches than Bennett, I get the argument, but to brush Bennett as a myth and praise Brown for building a squad, I don't get.

Anyway, i enjoy the discussion and your thoughts.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I was waiting for the first person to abuse you and surprised it took this long. There is no need to call people names and sympathize with you there.

I know this is your opinion, but to give credit to Browny and call Bennett a myth and lucky that he had gifted teams, the argument i feel does not stack up. Bennett has won more comps in the GF era than anyone else, was seconds away from another until the Cows scored and then Hunt dropped the kick off in extra time, Souths had not ball and field position yet lost to an intercept and you could put your house on Reynolds that he would convert from the sideline to send the game into extra time. Brown has won just 1 Super league comp in England playing against a team that had 12 players for 78 minutes. Even Price managed to win a challenge cup.

Now if you said Bellamy or Robbo or Gibson are better coaches than Bennett, I get the argument, but to brush Bennett as a myth and praise Brown for building a squad, I don't get.

Anyway, i enjoy the discussion and your thoughts.
There’s no crime against being a contrarian.

epDragon62

First Grade

And while I'm on it (sorry Mad One) everyone can have an opinion; doesn't make all opinions equal though 🤔

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of things for you guys to ponder.

Hook doesn't have to be 're-signed' for '23, he has a contract already, albeit a CO, which only has to be activated. The only 're-signing' is if they decide any any further years, barring being sacked of course, but I can't see that happening. As I've said numerous times, it's more than ladder position that determines a coach's future. Brad Arthur, for example, was touted as the first coach to be sacked in many seasons, yet this week has secured a 3yr extension.

As far assistants go, I'm also not impressed by Gentle as a defensive coach, however, as I said in another thread, there are players who want to listen and those that have to listen. I believe some or most of those have been moved on. Elliott himself, stated his role was changing, and I get the sense he is shifting roles to a more recruitment type (although I could be wrong), this would open the door for a 'younger' assistant to step up. No current assistants at other clubs who are 'the next man up' are going to change and come to the Dragons. So, that leaves internal promotion, and that's a scary thought. Next batter up for us? Firstly, look at who's coaching KOE Cup this year............no thanks. Then there's 'old boys' like Head and Timmins. Jersey Flegg coach Willie Talau would be an interesting choice, but lacks the experience imo.

So, in the wash-up of that probably you're looking at Head, who was recently appointed as the Dragons women's coach, which ultimately means nothing, as he has the 'most experience coaching at KOE Cup level and acting as a 'runner' in first grade.

Be careful what you wish for.

Latest posts