What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

SBD82

Coach
Why isn't it a valid argument for this discussion? Hook came in half way through this period. You can hardly hold him accountable for our failings to develop young players before that.

What makes you think he has issues with young people? He's brought through many young players across 2 clubs prior to us. 2 specific indigenous players off the top of my head are Gagai and Yow Yeh. Not to mention so many young players from a range of other cultures. He's also afforded both Sullivan and Sloan their debuts for the club which has seen Sloan play 9 games for the club and Sullivan play 10 - even accounting for an injury at the beginning of this year.

I've already gone into depth about this elsewhere. How about you do a search and have a read of the discussions.
What makes me think he has issues with young people?

His recruitment and our 1-17.

As for your last paragraph, you’re very welcome to not have a conversation with me anytime you like.

True_Believer

Juniors
What makes me think he has issues with young people?

His recruitment and our 1-17.

As for your last paragraph, you’re very welcome to not have a conversation with me anytime you like.

Given you've chosen to neglect the parts of my responses that don't suit your narrative it hasn't been a valid conversation anyway.

SBD82

Coach
Given you've chosen to neglect the parts of my responses that don't suit your narrative it hasn't been a valid conversation anyway.
Every other club has had the same opportunity to give young blokes game time. There have been some exceptional players brought through at other clubs, and we haven’t accomplished it.

I feel like you’re glossing over this point. Why do we have talented young players who we can’t transition to first grade? It’s not purely been during Hook’s tenure, but it seems to be getting worse, not better.

True_Believer

Juniors
Every other club has had the same opportunity to give young blokes game time. There have been some exceptional players brought through at other clubs, and we haven’t accomplished it.

I feel like you’re glossing over this point. Why do we have talented young players who we can’t transition to first grade? It’s not purely been during Hook’s tenure, but it seems to be getting worse, not better.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/sack-griffin.483025/post-15254011

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/sack-griffin.483025/post-15254122

Smacka

Juniors
I think that would be a valid argument if we were seeing the same issue across clubs. But we’re not. Why is it that our club is unable to develop juniors to NRL standard?

Take away the indigenous factor, is there any chance that Hook holds the same archaic views on young people that were demonstrated above by my friend @Smacka ?
The answer is simple my fellow Saint SBD82. If you want success you do not bring Players into NRL First Grade to develop them : that is not the Coach's job. He is there to win with the best squad he can muster. Development takes place in formative years , lower grades - when you prove you're up to the task there you get a gig with the big boys ; then you gain experience & become a seasoned first grader.
Archaic view , maybe.

BLM01

First Grade

Ramsay, Amone, Matt Feagai, even Rava and Lawrie maturing into a prop has been developed over this and past 2 years.
We are doing Ok, it is not getting worse
Sloan and Sullivan will be much better next year with time in reggies which they have not had before.
No spot for Sullivan yet, Sloane will bide his time like Ramsay has had to

redv13

Bench
Ramsay, Amone, Matt Feagai, even Rava and Lawrie maturing into a prop has been developed over this and past 2 years.
Sloan and Sullivan will be much better next year with time in reggies which they have not had before.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Sullivan at 14 getting 30 mins each week and building off that instead of Mbye

True_Believer

Juniors

So what happened tonight?

Demetriou who many complained we should have promoted to first grade pulled a young half from the field before half time and didn't put him back on.

During the presser, stated "he has played hardly any footy for the last 2 years, it's not fair to expect him to pull us out of this game."

What do you think that does for his confidence? Did we see the look on his face sitting on the bench? The kid was devastated.

This is why we bring them in gradually. They don't learn their craft in the NRL. They learn it in reggies. It's unfortunate that KOE was cancelled for 2 years but that's the reality of the situation.

BLM01

First Grade
Where is the Hook bashers now, especially when we were up 32-0 before half time
Never seen so much minimal posts after a good win
I get it Souths were just terrible and the ref was bias in the first half against them.
Contrary I thought Amone's sin bin was a real soft one based on Walker whingeing and bunker over reacting.
Now they reckon Sua may have a case to answer for a slap across the cheek
I suppose the 2nd half the TV got what they wanted to keep bums on seats.

redv13

Bench
Experience over youth ATM for Hook. I cannot yet knock him for that
Sullo will get his chance over the 4-5 weeks
Yeah I get it and we’re in the 8 with our finals destiny in our own hands. Hard to complain about that.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah I get it and we’re in the 8 with our finals destiny in our own hands. Hard to complain about that.
Saying we are 8th is a bit premature and I hate how the media cannot wait to get the table up after 1 game out of 8.
That talk is typical Maryitis

Facts - 2 teams below us have a win and we are back 10th after the weekend and they have not even had their bye or a guarantee further 2 points
Raiders win they are statistically above us too as have not had their bye and have a guaranteed 2 points to claim.

Carlton

Juniors
This is the problem , as you say "Hook should have given him more chances to redeem himself." This is Hooks biggest problem IMO ...... So its ok for the seasoned players to make mistakes week in week out and none are targeted or dropped ...... But soon as the young guys don't play well instead encouraging them to step up next game he knocks the stuffing out of them by dropping them and you don't see them again ...... Its all about Hook making the 8 to justify His extension , and that is not going great with the young guys or without them ..... The Pressers after a loss say it all , Hook and Hunt look so lost with no idea how to make it work ......
Hook gave Sloan a chance and he wasnt quite upto it yet, he has now given another young guy a chance, Ramsey, who is doing a better job at this point in time. Should he dump Ramsay to give Sloan more chances? Has Sloan shown in his time in Reggies that he is a better option than Ramsey at the moment?

Matt Feigai is a young guy consistently in the team as is Amone. I dont think this argument that he doesnt give the young guys a go or that he drops them without reason is wrong. The one I do think is hard to explain is the treatment of Sullivan.

Illusion

Bench
Hook gave Sloan a chance and he wasnt quite upto it yet, he has now given another young guy a chance, Ramsey, who is doing a better job at this point in time. Should he dump Ramsay to give Sloan more chances? Has Sloan shown in his time in Reggies that he is a better option than Ramsey at the moment?

Matt Feigai is a young guy consistently in the team as is Amone. I dont think this argument that he doesnt give the young guys a go or that he drops them without reason is wrong. The one I do think is hard to explain is the treatment of Sullivan.
I understand what you are saying, and happy for Ramsey, but shafting the kid Sloan the way he did doesn't do him any good ...... There were seasoned players that played bad also and they are still there .... He should have given him a couple of games after to help him work it out .... As for Sully that is a mystery ...... Lets see what the young Souths 7 , happens after last nights game , how will they handle it ..... Drop him or will he play ...... It was good to get the win last night , and I won't get excited untill it happens back to back and we beat teams ubove us .....

Smacka

Juniors
His halftime speeches still need some tweaking.
So you were privy to the half-time address ? What was it ? What would you have changed ?
By reports Hook asked for more of the same effort from the first half. Can't bag the players for getting fatigued following an erroneous sin-binning & then the refereeing square-up in the second stanza.

SBD82

Coach
So you were privy to the half-time address ? What was it ? What would you have changed ?
By reports Hook asked for more of the same effort from the first half. Can't bag the players for getting fatigued following an erroneous sin-binning & then the refereeing square-up in the second stanza.
There’s always room for improvement. But one small sentence would have made a significant difference:

“Woodsy, don’t bother coming out of the sheds. Hit the showers”.