What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

I gotta be honest, did you really think we were real premiership contenders? I've thought all year that if we make top4 it's an overachievement.

The players are tired. Physically and mentally. Origin, USA games, etc. I think the next month we be much of the same and then we'll kick into a better gear after that.

This is not Mary's fault, Jesus Christ. People have got a red dot over that guys head 24/7 and any loss they pull the trigger. Its really childish.

Mary doesn't coach Mann to drop a ball, lose a ball 1st tackle, he doesn't coach for Mann and fifty to just stand there and let a bomb hit the ground, he doesn't coach de belin and Sims to drop cheap ball, he doesn't coach nightingale to put a nothing kick in at the end, he doesn't coach any of this BS. But players make mistakes because they are ppl, you and I make mistakes all the time. Its life. They're tired and are struggling to get up emotionally at the moment.

The players need to have a good look at themselves. There is nothing wrong with this team of players, no massive team changes are needed, they just need to get back to a place where they were at the start of the season: upbeat, energised, offensive, etc. No one was whining about nightingale or Mary back then.

Nothing is broken. We just need to recalibrate and somehow get some recharge of energy.

Everyone just go take a deep breath and stop talking like an over emotionally.
Are you related to McGregor??
Because it is the only reason that explains why you would continue to support him so blindly.
What happened today has been brewing for weeks.
McGregor does not have the ability to deal with changes in the Team's fortunes.
Cleary had his measure today as did Bellamy last week.
He gets out coached too often for my liking and that does not augur well for the finals.
I cannot believe that you conveniently just blame various players for today.
With some exceptions, there was no energy, they were disjointed and they actually looked disinterested at times.
Farah made McInnes look second rate today, Benji outplayed Widdop and in general, the Tigers deserved to win;
So sorry to burst your bubble but the team's lethargy comes directly from the coach's inability to get them up for games like these.
We can use SOO as an excuse but those guys are the ones that performed today.
Big crowd at Kogarah, playing to regain top spot, to protect our home win record and more or less at full strength.
Very disappointing last week, very disappointing today.
Blame the players all you like but the buck stops with the coach.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I gotta be honest, did you really think we were real premiership contenders? I've thought all year that if we make top4 it's an overachievement.

The players are tired. Physically and mentally. Origin, USA games, etc. I think the next month we be much of the same and then we'll kick into a better gear after that.

This is not Mary's fault, Jesus Christ. People have got a red dot over that guys head 24/7 and any loss they pull the trigger. Its really childish.

Mary doesn't coach Mann to drop a ball, lose a ball 1st tackle, he doesn't coach for Mann and fifty to just stand there and let a bomb hit the ground, he doesn't coach de belin and Sims to drop cheap ball, he doesn't coach nightingale to put a nothing kick in at the end, he doesn't coach any of this BS. But players make mistakes because they are ppl, you and I make mistakes all the time. Its life. They're tired and are struggling to get up emotionally at the moment.

The players need to have a good look at themselves. There is nothing wrong with this team of players, no massive team changes are needed, they just need to get back to a place where they were at the start of the season: upbeat, energised, offensive, etc. No one was whining about nightingale or Mary back then.

Nothing is broken. We just need to recalibrate and somehow get some recharge of energy.

I think there is something wrong with our team. I think our outside backs aren't good enough. I think Nightingale should have been tapped on the shoulder at the end of last year. I think Lafai and Aitken are not fast enough. I think Aitken isn't classy enough.

TruSaint

Referee
I think there is something wrong with our team. I think our outside backs aren't good enough. I think Nightingale should have been tapped on the shoulder at the end of last year. I think Lafai and Aitken are not fast enough. I think Aitken isn't classy enough.

Agree.

well said.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

WTF!!!!
1. Players are tired. Physically and mentally - Well why does McGregor keep selecting them?
2. Get back to being upbeat, energized etc - Well that's the coach's job, otherwise why have one!
3. Recalibrate and somehow get some recharge of energy - Just refer points 1 and 2 above.

No, he doesn't coach them to drop the ball etc, however, his selection process, game management and lack of planning put us in that position where pressure gets to them. It's the coach's job to prevent that.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Welcome back 2004,2005,2006 an L Plater driving a Supercar!
We can all see we have the cattle, Ian Millward has assemble a strong squad, I will give some credit too Mr Assistant .

I rather take the punt with 7 times premiership winning coach than an L Plater!
We are not a supercar. We have the slowest winger in the comp, our other winger isn't very fast off the mark and our centres are 2 of the slowest in the comp. Supercars are fast.

Life's Good

Coach
I agree to an extent about our backs. Where it falls apart is the inability of Widdop & Hunt to direct instead of play. They are great players in their own right but at times they try too hard & should be barking orders at the like of our wingers & centres instead of taking the hit up. A few repeat sets to build pressure wouldn’t go astray either.

Aitkin is just bash and barge - blinkered. Cannot set up his winger. Cannot combine in any way.
Unfortunately, also a liability in defence.
The three quarter line is not up to scratch and needs a re think..
McDonald can play centre like a champ.
Play Mann on one wing and promote Perrera or Lomax or Herbert onto the other wing.
Stop torturing Nightingale with bench time and throwing him on as a middle forward.
Have the balls to drop him.
As extreme as it sounds, Aitkin should also be dropped or maybe play him off the bench instead.
Whatever we are doing now will not get us far in the finals.
Now is when the team needs real leadership.

FlameThrower

Bench
I agree to an extent about our backs. Where it falls apart is the inability of Widdop & Hunt to direct instead of play. They are great players in their own right but at times they try too hard & should be barking orders at the like of our wingers & centres instead of taking the hit up. A few repeat sets to build pressure wouldn’t go astray either.
One thing I noticed was little or no talk from our guys today ..not a good sign.

ozbuck

Juniors
Are you related to McGregor??
Because it is the only reason that explains why you would continue to support him so blindly.
What happened today has been brewing for weeks.
McGregor does not have the ability to deal with changes in the Team's fortunes.
Cleary had his measure today as did Bellamy last week.
He gets out coached too often for my liking and that does not augur well for the finals.
I cannot believe that you conveniently just blame various players for today.
With some exceptions, there was no energy, they were disjointed and they actually looked disinterested at times.
Farah made McInnes look second rate today, Benji outplayed Widdop and in general, the Tigers deserved to win;
So sorry to burst your bubble but the team's lethargy comes directly from the coach's inability to get them up for games like these.
We can use SOO as an excuse but those guys are the ones that performed today.
Big crowd at Kogarah, playing to regain top spot, to protect our home win record and more or less at full strength.
Very disappointing last week, very disappointing today.
Blame the players all you like but the buck stops with the coach.

Paul Green said earlier this year that his players didn't want to win more than the opposition. This is a coach everyone wanted or still wants, he is a premiership winning coach. A coach can only do so much and it's all a TEAM effort.

I never said the players were entirely to blame for today. But those basic mistakes they weren't making earlier in the year. Mary has not coached them to make those mistakes... The PLAYERS aren't not showing up as they were earlier this year. Speak to them and I'm sure they would say that responsibility for those errors falls on their shoulders.

Cleary had our measure? Sure they won. Fair enough, but if we had met them full of energy, not off the back of SOO and rep footy, who do think would've won. Yep Bellamy had our measure last week with a few players out... Are you forgetting something? If you give Bellamy total credit for last week than you have to give full credit to Mary for our win against Bellamy earlier this year when it was a much truer reflection of both teams as they were near full strength. You cant blame Mary for a losses and not blame him for wins. If you do that then you're only cherry picking. I'll say it again....if you blame Mary for our losses than you have to blame him for all our wins. Because if he is only responsible for losses and not wins then your argument is flawed from the start.

Does Mary get it right every time..no way. No coach does. Are there things I would change about this team, yes. But to say that he is the central reason we lost today is quite a statement.

blacksafake

First Grade
Mate he has had us coming 1st nearly all year. A team that nearly everyone thought would be lucky to make the 8.

Everyone wanted Paul Green and now his team is second last only to parra. What a PATHETIC COACH HE IS!!!! but keep that red dot over Mary's head and use him as a scapegoat for all our drop balls, stupid mistakes, missed tackles, tired players, bombs left and not caught, etc. Because that's all his fault. Oh, and we've been coming first nearly all year.
We shouldn’t be crowing about being 1st all year. The ultimate prize is winning the premiership & that is won at the backend of every season. History under L plate shows us that when the business end arrives we always struggle. Until he shows he has learnt from previous seasons with his use of the bench, selections, team rotation etc etc he should be judged accordingly. As of today we are yet to see improvements in these. Supporters such as yourself are obviously “happy” to be leading for the 1st half of the year but others such as myself are not. Your comparison to Green is laughable. Compare their coaching records at the end of the last 3/4 years, One has a premiership & a runners up & it ain’t L plate.

ozbuck

Juniors

Speed is a struggle apart from Mann and Duffy.

But why were we winning so much before a month ago?

ozbuck

Juniors
WTF!!!!
1. Players are tired. Physically and mentally - Well why does McGregor keep selecting them?
2. Get back to being upbeat, energized etc - Well that's the coach's job, otherwise why have one!
3. Recalibrate and somehow get some recharge of energy - Just refer points 1 and 2 above.

No, he doesn't coach them to drop the ball etc, however, his selection process, game management and lack of planning put us in that position where pressure gets to them. It's the coach's job to prevent that.

1. Its a better choice than choosing players with no real experience and no real game combinations.

2. The coach can play a role but the players need to take responsibility too. Its not ALL on Mary. These guys are ADULTS and PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMEN. Mary can't coach and play. He coaches, and players run around on the field. Its a TWO WAY STREET!

3. It'll be easier to come back in a few weeks once the boys get back into routine, refocus on the build up to the finals, etc. Everyone said we looked flat today. Everyone. I wasn't surprised tbh.

Paul Green said earlier this year that his players didn't want to win more than the opposition. This is a coach everyone wanted or still wants, he is a premiership winning coach. A coach can only do so much and it's all a TEAM effort.

I never said the players were entirely to blame for today. But those basic mistakes they weren't making earlier in the year. Mary has not coached them to make those mistakes... The PLAYERS aren't not showing up as they were earlier this year. Speak to them and I'm sure they would say that responsibility for those errors falls on their shoulders.

Cleary had our measure? Sure they won. Fair enough, but if we had met them full of energy, not off the back of SOO and rep footy, who do think would've won. Yep Bellamy had our measure last week with a few players out... Are you forgetting something? If you give Bellamy total credit for last week than you have to give full credit to Mary for our win against Bellamy earlier this year when it was a much truer reflection of both teams as they were near full strength. You cant blame Mary for a losses and not blame him for wins. If you do that then you're only cherry picking. I'll say it again....if you blame Mary for our losses than you have to blame him for all our wins. Because if he is only responsible for losses and not wins then your argument is flawed from the start.

Does Mary get it right every time..no way. No coach does. Are there things I would change about this team, yes. But to say that he is the central reason we lost today is quite a statement.
We are not communicating.
The object of the game is to win Premierships.
We are tanking - or can't you see that?
This is year 5 of McGregor's coaching methods.
It doesn't matter if we bow down to him for every win he presides over.
The only thing that matters is winning the comp.
The age old debate over whether players win premierships or coaches do will rage on regardless but I think most debaters will concede it needs a bit of both.
What I am seeing are symptoms of 2016 and 2017 with the difference being we will probably make the finals this year because we started so well.
McGregor still has plenty of time to turn things around.
If the players have confidence in him, they will lift and follow him into the finals.
Let's see

ozbuck

Juniors
We shouldn’t be crowing about being 1st all year. The ultimate prize is winning the premiership & that is won at the backend of every season. History under L plate shows us that when the business end arrives we always struggle. Until he shows he has learnt from previous seasons with his use of the bench, selections, team rotation etc etc he should be judged accordingly. As of today we are yet to see improvements in these. Supporters such as yourself are obviously “happy” to be leading for the 1st half of the year but others such as myself are not. Your comparison to Green is laughable. Compare their coaching records at the end of the last 3/4 years, One has a premiership & a runners up & it ain’t L plate.

Mate if we finish top 4 it's a massive achievement.

Ok, the end of the season hasn't happened, the finals haven't even started...so why doesn't everyone shut up until the finals have finished before making judgement? Calling for Mary's head now is pointless.

I've never thought once this year we are serious premiership contenders. What Mary has done so far is remarkable. When we lose a game it triggers everyone too much emotionally. Ppl gotta step back , take a deep breathe and view the big picture.

The storm were beaten convincingly by the eels same round last year. They won the gf. Not all losses mean the world is about to cave in. We dominated all season in 2009, played two finals games and got beaten twice...out. normal season games are useless come finals time. We get in the finals and it's game on.

Latest posts