What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad future for the Tigers!

Pezz70

Juniors
This club really has imploded, it's a shame there's a few good players coming through but the last couple of months has ruined any chance of any of them becoming real stars. They cannot possibly recover without an injection of experienced PROFESSIONAL personnel, and let's face it the cancer currently ripping through all levels, administration, coaches and players is terminal. That, and salary cap constraints leave no hope of attracting anyone worth having in the foreseeable future. Talk of a premiership in the next few years is absolute pipe dream.

The way they switched off early in the second half tonight was appalling , I can't recall seeing a side lose their shit like that for years.

Tiger05

First Grade
I see the complete opposite. We have the class players. All we need is some luck with injuries and for the club to realize that class players in key positions need a dominant disciplined pack and fast outside backs.

If we get the forwards and outside backs right I can see us doing well over the next couple of years.

Brooks. Moses, Tedesco & Robbie are a great spine.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'm just hoping the new board and the coaching situation is fixed before the start of next season

BuffaloRules

Coach
I wrote the season off after the Dragons game...

Looks like the players have too.

Can't really get too worked up about what happens over the next few weeks...

Tigerm

First Grade
I wrote the season off after the Dragons game...

Looks like the players have too.

Can't really get too worked up about what happens over the next few weeks...

Agree, unfortunately, rightly or wrongly, Potter is a dead man walking, but I hope some of the senior players who go missing most of the game week after week, are tapped on the shoulder as well.

But I see a bright future, if we get a few things right.

WT really are a basket case at the moment,this however can be turned around if we start afresh and cut some baggage.Firstly we need a new Board,new CEO,and a new Coach,whom are all on the same page and realise that success wont happen over night,put will happen if everyone is all pulling in the one dirrection.
Fortunately we already have a capable spine to take us forward however we need players that can also add something to the side and complement our spine.
Dead wood like Rowe,Lulia,Blair,Keith,Sirro to name a few should be released or told to look else where.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rowe sadly is going to be a necessity, unless we can obtain a better fullback who is willing to sit in reggies for most of the time and wait for Tedesco to get injured.

He's young and playing in a side in abysmal form. He took about 4 weeks to start playing well and then he was dropped. if he can go through a lot (and I mean a lot) of training focusing on catching and positioning, he'll be okay.

Sironen is an issue. The kids has talent. But it's talent as a five-eighth. He's got the body of a barnstorming back rower, but the brain of a 6. That's his problem.

He needs to be given dedicated training on being a back rower, running hard, straight lines, running angled inside lines when his half is drifting towards him, running decoys etc. At the moment, he's trying to do what he's told to do, but his instincts as a #6 take over, and he just stutter steps everywhere.

Young blokes I'm willing to give a chance. Older players shouldn't need that chance. Blair and Galloway, for the money they are getting, are holding us back big time.

We could cut those two and buy a very decent prop and back rower to replace them. I'll take a guess and say that Galloway and Blair combined are probably paid around the 700-800k mark.

Out the back, simply put, Lawrence needs to lose weight because he has clearly bulked up during this season. He looked a lot lighter and faster at the start of the year. I'd have him doing sprints all off-season. When the new season starts, if he isn't in any way improved, he can play reggies.

We need an NRL quality centre who can replace Lawrence. It will give him the kick in the arse he's never had but sorely needs. Lift your game or lose your spot.

Our back row is a big issue. We have no presence on the finge of the ruck in attack or defence. We are now holding our own for the first time ever in the middle, but the edges are just disgraceful.

Thompson and Paterson can go, bring in at least one top quality back rower who knows how to defend more than anything. We're going to have possibly the most inept defensive halves next year, we cannot have shit defenders in the back row standing next to them on the defensive line.

I'd seriously consider moving Simona to the wing too. He has been starved of decent ball this year, at least on the wing, the opponents will kick the ball to him.

Buchanan has to either improve immensely, or go. Lodge already appears a much better prospect, along with Brown. I'd be expecting both those two to feature in a lot more games in the NRL side next year.

We're stuck with Richards. Teach the big bastard how to defend as a centre. It baffles me how a human his size is so easy to dispose of in defence. And he's always been average under the high ball. he can get up there, but his hands or his positioning let him down.

A fully fit squad next year should look like
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Richards
4 - Lawrence
5 - Simona
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Farah
10 - Seumanufagai
11 - new second rower
12 - new second rower
13 - Sironen

14 - Gavet
15 - Taupau
16 - Lodge/Brown
17 - Austin

18 - new left centre (young)
19 - new right centre (young)

4 signings in one off season. Big ask. Doubt it will happen.

gronkathon

First Grade
Hitchcox is a perfect backup fullback. Abou Sleiman also a fine option. Hitchcox in particular is great value for money as a backup.

Rowe is cut from the Moltzen school of ball running courage which is sad

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As for the off the field shit.

Mayer has to go. restructure the board so that there is one Balmain rep, one Magpies rep, one Wests Ashfield rep, 3 Wests Tigers focussed people and the NRL appointed rep.

This way the factions at Balmain or Wests will not be able to push and pull the Wests Tigers around.

I'd be tempted to have Harry T as one of the 3 WT focussed people. His Balmain bias will even things out a bit too as Wests will have 2 reps (sort of). But more importantly, he's got a vested financial interest in the success of the club, that makes him a very valuable commodity which we should definitely have involved at board level imo.

Mayer can go. Sure he's done some good, but whenever a drama hits, he freezes like a roo in the headlights and is way too reactive. I hate reactive people in positions of authority or power. To me, it shows indecisiveness and an inability to know how to deal with a situation. That alone is enough to remove all faith and trust the players/fans/administrators/etc have in his ability to run the club.

super_coach

First Grade
I really dont share peoples optimism about our future. The club lacks passion, most years we put the white flag up and roll over. We are so far away from Souths,Manly and the Chooks.

We have some good kids coming through but they need to be surrounded by winners or they will amount to nothing. We are with doubt the softest club in the NRL and I dont know who is going to change things. We have bugger all in the way of cash, a salary cap that is up to capacity and a few players who should be moved on but nobody wants them.

We are nearly back to the Lamb days!!!!!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hitchcox is a perfect backup fullback. Abou Sleiman also a fine option. Hitchcox in particular is great value for money as a backup.

Rowe is cut from the Moltzen school of ball running courage which is sad

Fair call about Hitchcox, he's very versatile too, similar to Austin, but not as adept in the halves, but much better in the fullback/threequarter line roles.

Fine would be a good back up centre. He must have a few issues though to not have received a call up yet. I've not seen much of him at all this year and what I did see wasn't bad, but it wasn't saying "I'm an NRL quality player" either.

gronkathon

First Grade
Fine & Taukafa were probably in line for a call up when Simona was ruled out for the year (I believe we got 2nd tier exeptions based on that)

Injury and Hitchcox's form put them in front.

Fine should have been ahead of Lulia this season from the get go IMHO

Tigerm

First Grade
Fair call about Hitchcox, he's very versatile too, similar to Austin, but not as adept in the halves, but much better in the fullback/threequarter line roles.

Fine would be a good back up centre. He must have a few issues though to not have received a call up yet. I've not seen much of him at all this year and what I did see wasn't bad, but it wasn't saying "I'm an NRL quality player" either.

I thought Hitchcox, like Rowe, is just too small for FG, the new style wingers are big bastards who will trample them.
What's happened to SILA? Is he injured? Jeeze, we need a winger with some go & mongrel in them, is he the one, doesn't look good that he cant get a run in these times?

Perth Tiger

Bench
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Richards
4 - Lawrence
5 - Simona
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Farah
10 - Seumanufagai
11 - new second rower
12 - new second rower
13 - Sironen

14 - Gavet
15 - Taupau
16 - Lodge/Brown
17 - Austin

Did you forget Sue or just don't rate him? personally I think he has a big future.

Also I think Moses has showed that he can feed his center so would persist with Simona in the centers for the time being. Other than that can't argue to much with that.

macnaz

Staff member
This club really has imploded, it's a shame there's a few good players coming through but the last couple of months has ruined any chance of any of them becoming real stars. They cannot possibly recover without an injection of experienced PROFESSIONAL personnel, and let's face it the cancer currently ripping through all levels, administration, coaches and players is terminal. That, and salary cap constraints leave no hope of attracting anyone worth having in the foreseeable future. Talk of a premiership in the next few years is absolute pipe dream.

The way they switched off early in the second half tonight was appalling , I can't recall seeing a side lose their shit like that for years.

Yeah bullshit

macnaz

Staff member
Rowe sadly is going to be a necessity, unless we can obtain a better fullback who is willing to sit in reggies for most of the time and wait for Tedesco to get injured.

He's young and playing in a side in abysmal form. He took about 4 weeks to start playing well and then he was dropped. if he can go through a lot (and I mean a lot) of training focusing on catching and positioning, he'll be okay.

Sironen is an issue. The kids has talent. But it's talent as a five-eighth. He's got the body of a barnstorming back rower, but the brain of a 6. That's his problem.

He needs to be given dedicated training on being a back rower, running hard, straight lines, running angled inside lines when his half is drifting towards him, running decoys etc. At the moment, he's trying to do what he's told to do, but his instincts as a #6 take over, and he just stutter steps everywhere.

Young blokes I'm willing to give a chance. Older players shouldn't need that chance. Blair and Galloway, for the money they are getting, are holding us back big time.

We could cut those two and buy a very decent prop and back rower to replace them. I'll take a guess and say that Galloway and Blair combined are probably paid around the 700-800k mark.

Out the back, simply put, Lawrence needs to lose weight because he has clearly bulked up during this season. He looked a lot lighter and faster at the start of the year. I'd have him doing sprints all off-season. When the new season starts, if he isn't in any way improved, he can play reggies.

We need an NRL quality centre who can replace Lawrence. It will give him the kick in the arse he's never had but sorely needs. Lift your game or lose your spot.

Our back row is a big issue. We have no presence on the finge of the ruck in attack or defence. We are now holding our own for the first time ever in the middle, but the edges are just disgraceful.

Thompson and Paterson can go, bring in at least one top quality back rower who knows how to defend more than anything. We're going to have possibly the most inept defensive halves next year, we cannot have shit defenders in the back row standing next to them on the defensive line.

I'd seriously consider moving Simona to the wing too. He has been starved of decent ball this year, at least on the wing, the opponents will kick the ball to him.

Buchanan has to either improve immensely, or go. Lodge already appears a much better prospect, along with Brown. I'd be expecting both those two to feature in a lot more games in the NRL side next year.

We're stuck with Richards. Teach the big bastard how to defend as a centre. It baffles me how a human his size is so easy to dispose of in defence. And he's always been average under the high ball. he can get up there, but his hands or his positioning let him down.

1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Richards
4 - Lawrence
5 - Simona
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Farah
10 - Seumanufagai
11 - new second rower
12 - new second rower
13 - Sironen

14 - Gavet
15 - Taupau
16 - Lodge/Brown
17 - Austin

A 2015 side thats best choice centre is Lolrence is doomed, he was f**king abysmal in 2013, worse in 2014 . Fmd how shit will he be next year? STOP DEFENDING THIS LOSER.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's a real shame Marion Seve missed basically the whole year in the 20s. Was hoping he could push for a spot next year.

Perth Tiger

Bench
A 2015 side thats best choice centre is Lolrence is doomed, he was f**king abysmal in 2013, worse in 2014 . Fmd how shit will he be next year? STOP DEFENDING THIS LOSER.

That is all well and good, I don't think anyone is saying he is playing at an acceptable level but it is not like we have any other options.

There is no one on the market and we probably don't have the cap space to buy a center.

Lulia is even worse as are all the other stop gap, second rower options we have used and it is unlikely any of the juniors are ready to take the spot full time.