What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

To me Mar always felt like a stop gap option as a coach. When they won a few games under him and gave him the reigns permanently I was surprised and every year I get more and more surprised he is still there. I've never thought they were a real threat to win the title under him and I can't see it happening in the future. Why the board signed him up beyond 2019 I will never understand.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Can the Dragons afford to pay out his contract?

He’s supposedly only on a few hundred thousand a year. With our wonderful benefactors the Gordons - praise their holy name, our Lords and Masters, the ones fated to take us to the promised land - there is no shortage of money.

Whats in short supply is backbone, common sense and the drive to improve.

We’ll have Something About Mary at the helm come 2020. You watch.

BennyV

Referee
To me Mar always felt like a stop gap option as a coach. When they won a few games under him and gave him the reigns permanently I was surprised and every year I get more and more surprised he is still there. I've never thought they were a real threat to win the title under him and I can't see it happening in the future. Why the board signed him up beyond 2019 I will never understand.
Because our management don’t care about being successful. They just want to exist. For them, as long as the Illawarra has a presence in the NRL, they are doing their job.

Mary is the poster boy for the Illawarra, hence they will find absolutely any excuse to keep him there. The only ones who suffer because of it is the fans!

Dakink

Bench
How the f%^k can they be starting a review into the season and not look into the coaching performance....probably the MAIN reason for our continual suckingness...

Because our management don’t care about being successful. They just want to exist. For them, as long as the Illawarra has a presence in the NRL, they are doing their job.

Mary is the poster boy for the Illawarra, hence they will find absolutely any excuse to keep him there. The only ones who suffer because of it is the fans!

He is a simple operator, play basic football (complete sets and defend well) - you'll win games early in the season when teams lack match fitness. It puts you high on the ladder. His problem is he doesn't evolve his gameplans over the season so teams figure them out and they start sliding. The thing is coaches in the finals race never get sacked, so it means he keeps his position.

There are stories doing the rounds that he doesn't sign players. If they don't trust him to recruit players why is he trusted with the squad?

soc123_au

Staff member
The thing is coaches in the finals race never get sacked,
10079276-3x2-700x467.jpg

Hold my beer...

BennyV

Referee
He is a simple operator, play basic football (complete sets and defend well) - you'll win games early in the season when teams lack match fitness. It puts you high on the ladder. His problem is he doesn't evolve his gameplans over the season so teams figure them out and they start sliding. The thing is coaches in the finals race never get sacked, so it means he keeps his position.

There are stories doing the rounds that he doesn't sign players. If they don't trust him to recruit players why is he trusted with the squad?
They ‘trust’ him (ie keep him employed) because he is an Illawarra old boy. That’s it. It’s brutally obvious to everyone paying attention that his game plan is one-dimensional, his strategic/tactical thinking is no good for anything above bush league, his training methods are not effective and his development of basic skills for all players (especially youngsters looking to make the jump from ISP) is non-existent. That’s putting it nicely.

The simple plan you refer to only works if EVERYTHING goes in your favour - forwards are all fit and hungry, there’s individual talent within the backline and we don’t cop injuries or tough calls. But it’s easily combatted and by the time halfway point rolls around every year of his tenure, opposition coaches figure it out without much issue.