What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints sign 2 more forwards

Slippery Morris

First Grade
On twitter under the handle Rugby League News it says that Saints have signed 2 forwards effective immediately. Luke Page from Canberra and Mark Ioane from Titans.

How reliable this source is no idea but if so that is another couple of big boppers to the list. Below is a link to some video footage of Luke Page. This guy is pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQu7zdlkAs

FlameThrower

Bench
Both 24, both 108 k, Luke Page a fair rap on him and his wrecking ball style of hitups??
To the Cutters???

saint_jus

Bench
Love that video but you must wonder why he hasn't had a run in first grade yet? He's 24 and still hasn't made his debut.. if he plays like that every game surely he'd have had a run by now.

On the flipside if he can take that sort of form into first grade well f**k me dead we may have another beast in our hands. All of a sudden our pack for 2016 is actually looking intimidating

The Nick

Bench
Not sure how excited I should be about these signings. Page looks great in reserve grade but not sure how effective he'd be in the big step up to NRL, and as others have mentioned there is a big question mark over why he hasn't played first grade yet.

That being said, he is only 24 and as a prop the next couple of years could be make or break for him.

Either way, they add some depth to our squad with Rose etc moving on at the end of the year.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Yep, will be confirmed by club tomorrow. I'm surprised there weren't more players signed to new clubs before the June 30 deadline.

Efresh

Coach
I wouldn't read too much into him not playing FG yet. He's been under Ricky Stuart's keen eye for a couple of years now, not exactly a man known for developing talent.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Also Canberra's pack ain't half bad either. Pretty tough to crack a spot in their pack i'd imagine.

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Luke Page admitted that he was "starting to get impatient" for a chance in the Raiders first grade back at the start of May.

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart also stated that the club wouldn't discuss a new contract with Page until he was playing regularly in the first grade.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Luke Page & Mark Ioane confirmed just for the rest of this year

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2015/07/01/dragons_add_depth_to.html

Dragons Add Depth To Squad

Wed 1st July, 07:00AM
A A

1435650462843.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons on Wednesday announced that forwards Mark Ioane and Luke Page have both agreed to terms on respective contracts for the balance of the 2015 season and will join the Club immediately.
Mark Ioane, 24, is a prop-forward who had played 23 NRL games to date and arrives at the Dragons after being granted a release from the Gold Coast Titans.
The Otahuhu Leopards junior was previously a graduate of the successful New Zealand Warriors National Youth Competition team which won the 2010 Premiership in the same year he was selected to the Junior Kiwis squad.
Luke Page, 24, is also a prop-forward who arrives at the Dragons after being granted a release from the Canberra Raiders.
The former Queensland Residents representative (2014) is a former graduate of the Gold Coast Titans National Youth Competition team who joined the Raiders midway through last season.
“Both Ioane and Luke have respectively been recruited to add important depth to the current playing roster and provide cover where needed within the forward-pack,” said Dragons Director of Recruitment & Retention Peter Mulholland.
“Both players demonstrate a willingness to play their role in the squad and we look forward to providing them with an opportunity to continue their own development.”

Both are young ass depth and don't cost the earth and if they turn out to be good solid signings its a win win for the club.

So now you have Masoe, Mann confirmed and you would have to say Packer is a given for next year the depth looks better and the quality of signings is better again a win win.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Also Canberra's pack ain't half bad either. Pretty tough to crack a spot in their pack i'd imagine.

Spot on mate. With Boyd, Shillington, Nuassala and Vaughn ahead of you it could be pretty damn hard to get a run unless there is injury.

The footage on You Tube is pretty impressive though.

blacksafake

First Grade
Don't know much about either,although Page's wrecking ball style is impressive.He may be a bit of a meat head which could possibly be part of the reason for not playing nrl yet.As for Ioane he has played 23 nrl games so he does have some experience.Anyway at least the club is trying to rectify the lack of size situation so as supporters we can't complain.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Both these guys are only signed till the end of the season I think so hope they get a crack in NRL to see if they are worth keeping.

noodles24

Juniors
slightly of topic but can someone tell me how tuimavave-gerrard has been going we dont get much re;the cutters over here!

Watched him in a couple of games, does some good things and is definitely a future prospect but still needs to gain some size. Will really see how he goes next year after another pre-season hopefully.

giboz71

First Grade
The thing I noticed about the Roosters game, their reserve forwards Taukeiaho, Matagi, Lui were all fantastic.

I was thinking we have no forward depth as guys like O'Brien, Rose and even Marketo are not really up to it compared to the bigger packs.

Don't know much about these 2, but if they can provide the same impact as the Roosters reserves, I'll be pretty happy.