What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints spine

Wizardman

First Grade
Every player in that spine looks very unsettled to me. McGregor has really f**ked up the balance and confidence that is much needed with a spine.

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Reece Robson

NSW Cup: Norman

Live or die by that. Norman is an overrated imposter.

possm

Coach
Every player in that spine looks very unsettled to me. McGregor has really f**ked up the balance and confidence that is much needed with a spine.

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Reece Robson

NSW Cup: Norman

Live or die by that. Norman is an overrated imposter.

I felt that Norman and Hunt played well in the first half but fell away in the second half when our forwards were well and truly dominated.

BLM01

First Grade
I felt that Norman and Hunt played well in the first half but fell away in the second half when our forwards were well and truly dominated.

Agree.........on last nights form drop Luc, Aitken, Latimore off bench to positions 18-20th men. Dufty to 1, Lomax 3, Norman & Robson to bench. KSims replaces Latimore but could start and drop Graham back to bench.

My starting spine as was last year. Bench - Graham, Robson, Kerr & Timm (young tearaway props).
When Frizz returns the worse performer out of Kerr, Host & Timm gets the chop.
I have not given up on No's 2 & 5 yet as have not seen decent ball given to them with any room to move or space.

possm

Coach
I felt that Norman played very well in the first half and fell away - as did the whole team - when South's forwards began to dominate. I put the loss down to the inability of our forwards to continue to dominate or even match the South Sydney forwards.

Como Connection

First Grade
I felt that Norman played very well in the first half and fell away - as did the whole team - when South's forwards began to dominate. I put the loss down to the inability of our forwards to continue to dominate or even match the South Sydney forwards.
Norman played fullback in the first half then swapped with Widdop for some unknown reason.
Why change something that was working.
I would keep Norman at fullback.
CC

possm

Coach
Norman played fullback in the first half then swapped with Widdop for some unknown reason.
Why change something that was working.
I would keep Norman at fullback.
CC

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he only went back there because Widdop was caught in the ruck. It would only have been for a few tackles that Norman played fullback.

Vinnie

Juniors
Our Spine played well last year before being interrupted with injuries and origins etc. My take is simple Norman came from a wooden spoon team and he himself was totally out of form and moved on. He is not a marquee signing. Norman although can play fullback, 5/8, Half and even centre. For any smart person that's a blessing and should be used to advantage and motivation !!!! Simply its like this - The Spine stays as the incumbent : Dufty, Widdop, Hunt, McIness, Norman to NSW Cup and putting all players on notice basically if Norman playing well in NSW Cup and anyone in our spine or even centres out of form or not playing to scratch out they go in comes Norman - called healthy competition and keep everyone competing for their position

Not Rocket Science Is It I ask ???

Como Connection

First Grade
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he only went back there because Widdop was caught in the ruck. It would only have been for a few tackles that Norman played fullback.
That was my memory of the first half after many beers.
I'm not prepared to watch the replay.
CC

possm

Coach
Our Spine played well last year before being interrupted with injuries and origins etc. My take is simple Norman came from a wooden spoon team and he himself was totally out of form and moved on. He is not a marquee signing. Norman although can play fullback, 5/8, Half and even centre. For any smart person that's a blessing and should be used to advantage and motivation !!!! Simply its like this - The Spine stays as the incumbent : Dufty, Widdop, Hunt, McIness, Norman to NSW Cup and putting all players on notice basically if Norman playing well in NSW Cup and anyone in our spine or even centres out of form or not playing to scratch out they go in comes Norman - called healthy competition and keep everyone competing for their position

Not Rocket Science Is It I ask ???

Rightly or wrongly Millward recruited Norman to play five-eighth knowing Widdop is leaving at the end of the 2019 season. It makes sense to me that he should take up the 6 position now because there will be combinations and experience gained when 2020 season begins.

If it was up to me, I would have let Widdop go prior to season 2019 and used his salary cap to hire a top grade winger/fullback plus one extra first grade forward. Some of Widdops salary cap could also be used to secure the services of Lomax and Robson into the future.

Vinnie

Juniors
I don't care about 2020 it's 2019 widdup was dally m 5/8 of the year he is a 5/8 doesn't look comfortable back there Norman could be used as a ball playing lock
Dufty
Widdup
Hunt
Mcinnes

Totally Agree - Norman has to play his way into the team.

Vinnie

Juniors
Anyway with our recent past don't be surprised if we buy 2 more 5/8s, another half and 2 fullbacks by 2020 !!!
Wish i was joking - but sadly im not

possm

Coach
I've said I before a number of times. For each season Millward should ensure we have 17 good first grade players - for each position on the field and bench. Then begin to back fill by first looking at our junior stocks and then going to the market for depth - high quality depth.

Last edited:

GC Dragon

Juniors
The way things look I would be happy with a spine of
1. Dufty
6.Widdop
7.Field
9.McIness / Robson .

With both Norman and Hunt in reserve grade . I have defended both at times but neither look like they could lead a horse to water . A 2 million dollar black hole .

kit66

Bench
Restore 2018 spine and Norman to Right Centre - he can kick, has quick hands and is actually a solid defender. He can work the right side in attack with Hunt and we'd have Wids and Dufty terrorizing opposition defences on the left. Win, win.

Vinnie

Juniors
Restore 2018 spine and Norman to Right Centre - he can kick, has quick hands and is actually a solid defender. He can work the right side in attack with Hunt and we'd have Wids and Dufty terrorizing opposition defences on the left. Win, win.

Id take that immediately although i'd like to see Lomax get a go anyones better than what we have on the right edge side at the moment even Graham playing outside Vaughan would be better than what we have at present.

Latest posts